Reload this Page >

BAH-DO! Consolidated UA BAH Flights and Activities Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2013, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AFAM-DFW
Please add to the Wiki on ideas/activities along with other relevant information for BAH.

Visa (for those who need it; US passport holders do):
http://www.evisa.gov.bh
You must use a Visit eVisa within 30 days of its approval. (After this time the eVisa will expire and you will have to apply again and pay another fee). Don't apply for the eVisa too early.

Once your application is approved, you can print a copy of the approval to carry with you when you travel, but this is not strictly necessary. When you arrive in Bahrain, your electronic visa will be accessible to the passport officer who greets you. That said, print it anyway. Avoids any possible confusion.

Note that it is not possible to have more than one visa issued for a passport at a time. You must have used your eVisa, or it should have expired, before you can apply for another eVisa. Keep this in mind if you have back to back runs.

If your routing only has you in Bahrain for part of the day, the arrival passport control officer will still insist on a Bahrain address where you are going. I said that I planned on dinner at the Holiday Inn Express, she said write it in the form box and was satisfied.

Popular Lodging Options (per original fare thread):
Holiday Inn Express (10K points) or $90 (approximate)
Radisson Blu (50K points) or $177 (approximate)
Sheraton (12K points) or $200 (approximate)
Residence Inn (20K points) or $200 (approximate)

United Check In:

The United Check In desk opens about 3 1/2 hours before flight time. If you are United Premier, you can check in at the Business check in area which is at the far left side of the terminal as you come in from outside.

Lounge Access:
Available via LoungeCard or Priority Pass
Dilmun Lounge
http://bahrainairport.com/en/experie...t/lounges.html

Popular Sites:
Great Mosque
Bahrain National Museum
Qalat al Bahrain
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2013, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL

This thread is for fellow FT'ers who will be flying to BAH in the next few months on UA's cheap fare.

The original fare thread here already has a list of FT'ers and their travel dates in the Wiki.

This thread is for ideas on activities, day trips, car sharing, lodging, dinners, social events, etc. that FT'ers may plan together on or meet.

For those interested, please feel free to post your plans or things to do here.

Quite a few of us have just a day (or two) before hopping back on the plane, so any recommendations/ideas on how to enjoy the time in the city expeditiously would be appreciated.

Last edited by luv2ctheworld; Oct 1, 2013 at 6:11 pm
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Is the sooq/souq/souk worth visiting? I've never been to such a market, but the pictures online didn't make it look as appealing as the fabled ones in Cairo, Istanbul, etc. It seemed a bit underwhelming, but I have no direct experience with these kind of places.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:37 am
k2o

Programs: UA 1K, DL Dia.,AA Plat, Hilton Dia,Bonvoy T
Just returned from BAH

I just returned from my trip to Bahrain (using this great fare) this weekend.
Regarding the souk, it is disappointing but if one has extra time, it’s an ok place to kill some time.
The Grand Mosque tour is free and would be worth paying for if they did charge. We had a great volunteer that took about an hour with us. The visiting women had to wear burqa's and the men the white shirtdress-they were provided without charge as well.
Taxis are not cheap but if one can negotiate you can hire one in 4- 6 hr. increments. You must negotiate the price or be faced with 'meter' rate Don't do that for long rides!. We negotiated a fare of 40 dinar (BHD) for 4 of us for a ½ day. We had an small suv type taxi which was very comfortable. Our driver was wonderful, making suggestions along the way and making it easy for us to see a lot of things we wouldn't normally see , for example the oil fields in desert, GrandPrix property, camel farms, coast lines and beaches, neighborhoods, the fort and the Tree of Life-which by the way, was worth seeing, touching and experiencing. He also took us across the bridge to the Saudi Arabia border. I have his name and contact number. PM me if interested.
Drinks are expensive, we had a stop in FRA so stopped at the duty free shop and bought our preferred drinks there. We had heard a bottle of cheap wine could cost over $100+ so we didn't want to take any chances. We didn't regret it.
We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. It's a nice property, ask for high floor with water view. Breakfast was quite nice with good selections for local or European and US choices. Staff at the hotel was excellent.
Visas are issued at arrival. Cash $15. US . Watch out for the ATM's. Don’t know if it was a glitch but it gave 2X the amount requested so I lost money when exchanging on the way out.
All in all it was an excellent trip. I knew I would have a good time but it was much better than I expected!
Old Oct 3, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Thank you for that helpful mini trip report and tips it contains. Do you know if doing the visa on arrival is preferred to doing one in advance? It looks like there is a 2BHD fee for pre-arranging an eVisa.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Oh, I thought this was a thread to get everyone to go and see Erykah Badu. In retrospect, I guess that would have been a Badu Do, not a BAH Do!
Old Oct 3, 2013, 7:55 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
I spoke to the Embassy in Washington and was told the Visa on arrival is good for 90 days, multiple entry, no more than two weeks at a time per entry. This is perfect for mileage runners. Cost is $30 on arrival and they take credit cards.

UPDATE: This is incorrect information. You can apply online for an eVisa using a credit card or get a Visa on Arrival. There is no Benefit in either method. Price is 5 dinar and Visa is good for a 30 day period, single entry for no more than 14 days at a time. No multiple entry Visas are available either online or on arrival. Those must be applied for through an embassy.

Last edited by mrpickles; Dec 2, 2013 at 1:08 am
Old Oct 3, 2013, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by mrpickles
I spoke to the Embassy in Washington and was told the Visa on arrival is good for 90 days, multiple entry, no more than two weeks at a time per entry. This is perfect for mileage runners. Cost is $30 on arrival and they take credit cards.
Good news but must be very new. The Bahrain website only discusses the single entry on arrival or a 5 year multi entry through their embassy.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 8:32 pm
k2o

Programs: UA 1K, DL Dia.,AA Plat, Hilton Dia,Bonvoy T
The visa is $15 USD. Cash. A frugal travels' delight if you were quoted $30 with a cc you're paying too much. Even if you have pallets full of coins still. :-)
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:08 am

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by k2o
The visa is $15 USD. Cash. A frugal travels' delight if you were quoted $30 with a cc you're paying too much. Even if you have pallets full of coins still. :-)
It just goes to show that you can't get a straight answer, even from the Embassy staff. Glad to hear that it is $15.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: Miles and frowns, IHG aluminum
Hey,
I am arriving on Sunday Dec 1 for one day (after spending the rest of my mileage run in Dubai and Oman). Want to hit the following sites:

Tree of Life (tree growing in the middle of the desert, they don't know how it's possible)
UNESCO pearling trail buildings (a 3.5 km trail of buildings)
Bahrain fort (also UNESCO)
Al-Fatih mosque (free, daytime visiting hrs)
Bab el-Bahrain souk

Would love to split a car rental with someone(s) and see the sights. Taxi rental sounds like a good option too. I fly in from Oman bright and early at 4:25 am :P. Ready to go anytime after though I have a hunch I'll be chillin at the airport for a while....flight back to US in the eve of course. I am 31yr old moderately experienced solo traveler lady, very laid-back/resourceful.

PS- I am surprised women had to wear burqas? I thought abayas were standard except in Saudi Arabia. Am gonna pick one up either here in LA or in Muscat for cheap since I'll be doing travel in Mid-east this year and Afghanistan within a year or two. Just want to be clear on what's up.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 3:39 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Originally Posted by k2o
5 BHD sounds better. At official exchange rate 2.65:1, 5 BHD=13.25 USD. When I visited 3 years ago, they accepted cards. I was asked to go to the office to process the payment and come back with the receipt to get back my passport.

My leftover BHD from previous trip is now useful

Last edited by cloudybw; Oct 16, 2013 at 3:47 am Reason: Add Information
Old Oct 18, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: Mileageplus
BAH Do's

I was just in Bahrain a couple of weekends ago and highly recommend renting a car. It was $30 for the day (Avis), and gas was $3 total! I stayed in the Holiday Inn Express which had parking...great plus. I went to the Bahrain National Museum (also had parking), the Mosque (also had parking), the Souq (found some parking on random side street), and the Fort (also parking). I had 24h in Bahrain and I would definitely do a mileage run there again. Our flight got cancelled coming back, so I got an extra 24h in a random hotel across the mosque.

Driving was ok - be careful with the signs, and it would have been better had I not been driving solo. I am a fairly experienced lady traveler - so I had no problems.^
Old Oct 18, 2013, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
By the looks of it, I'm getting a car. I'll be in the night before @ Radisson Blu and flying out Dec. 1.

I don't know if it's possible to hit all the items you listed, but the mosque and fort are definitely on there. The souk is another consideration, but it's all based on time constraints.

Originally Posted by Daichovo
Hey,
I am arriving on Sunday Dec 1 for one day (after spending the rest of my mileage run in Dubai and Oman). Want to hit the following sites:

Tree of Life (tree growing in the middle of the desert, they don't know how it's possible)
UNESCO pearling trail buildings (a 3.5 km trail of buildings)
Bahrain fort (also UNESCO)
Al-Fatih mosque (free, daytime visiting hrs)
Bab el-Bahrain souk

Would love to split a car rental with someone(s) and see the sights. Taxi rental sounds like a good option too. I fly in from Oman bright and early at 4:25 am :P. Ready to go anytime after though I have a hunch I'll be chillin at the airport for a while....flight back to US in the eve of course. I am 31yr old moderately experienced solo traveler lady, very laid-back/resourceful.

PS- I am surprised women had to wear burqas? I thought abayas were standard except in Saudi Arabia. Am gonna pick one up either here in LA or in Muscat for cheap since I'll be doing travel in Mid-east this year and Afghanistan within a year or two. Just want to be clear on what's up.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 2:34 am

If women have to wear burkhas in Bahrain now, that is relatively new - I was there in 2010 and never even felt it was necessary to have my hair covered in public, as opposed to some of the smaller villages and off-road places I ended up at in Oman and the UAE (even then I just covered hair, knees, and shoulders).
Old Oct 28, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: OZ LT D+, UA 1K, AS MVPG AF Gold, SPG Platinum (8 years), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
I'm also getting a car.. National rent-a-car is only for 9 BAD (usd 24) including full coverage... Only worrying about I don't have any GPS covering Bahrain.. I think I probably need IDP along with US DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.