Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Park Plaza Bloomington MN (near S burb of Minneapolis)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2012, 2:42 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

So I checked into the sole Park Plaza property this past weekend to take advantage of the promo bonus points.

Located 1/4 mile from intersection of 494 & France, the hotel is easy off/on to 494.

Property is a bit dated but I thought fresh enough, for instance carpets were not pristine but no stale smell nor stains.

While I was not recognized as a Gold member, I was upgraded to a small suite type room (like an Embassy Suites room) with a living room in the front of my room, hallway to rear bedroom, w/bathroom in the middle.

Beds/linens were clean & comfortable. Bed was good & I slept like a rock but bed was not as plush as a heavenly bed or an upscale chain bed.

There was a small fridge in the room w/a few cookies & grapes. Also a microwave.

Old style Tube TVs but never watched anything as I was in the room for such a short time.

There is an indoor pool, good sized. A business center w/2 PCs & a printer, free to use.

They do have a shuttle to the airport as I overheard a guest talking with a shuttle driver about the trip but I have no idea how frequently it runs or if there is a cost (I assume not).

Bottom line is if I can get the property for a good price, I'd stay again.

Park Plaza Bloomington
4460 West 78th Street Circle, Bloomington, MN 55435
(952) 831-3131
5 miles from Mall of America, complimentary shuttle service
Old Jul 15, 2012, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The shuttle bus is free and it covers the airport and the MOA.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Thanks for the review. I'm staying on Wednesday, so happy to hear it is a reasonable place. There are a few disgruntled reviews on TripAdvisor that kind of skew the view.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Thanks for the review.
sure thing, I'm sure there will be more with the current promo.

FYI, if you are looking for a 'trendy' upscale area, drive north on France, in the 5030 area of north France (which at that point is only a 2 lane street), there are plenty of cafs and outdoor dining places. quite happening on a Saturday night.

In this area, there was a dinner Do at this restaurant www.salutbaramericain.com and I think most were quite pleased with their meals.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 7:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I was there this weekend as well...met Willie & a few others for a beer while I was there. ^

I'd concur with his experience: we were in the same type of room, a standard Embassy Suites type setup. We have no status so we paid an extra $35 or so above the lowest rate to confirm the suite but at the rates they had it was worth it. Room slept 2 adults and 2 kids comfortably.

I had prepped my wife that the place might be a bit scruffy but that for 100,000 Carlson points (2 nights, 1 in her name 1 in mine) it would be worth it. As it turns out it was fine...not all that different in terms of room quality from the Residence Inn nearby that we usually use.

If you have a chance to hit this place for a night during the promo period, I'd say go for it...
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
Room slept 2 adults and 2 kids comfortably.
was one of the couches a pull out? I didn't bother to check.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:03 am

Programs: DL-KRYPTONIUM, DL-PM, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Club Carlson Silver, Hyatt Plat.
Missed you by a day or two. It was fine. A bit dated but clean. I'd stay there again.
JM
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
was one of the couches a pull out? I didn't bother to check.
Yes... And the closet actually had linens and pillows for it, too.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:30 pm
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Will anyone be there Thursday (19th?)

Thanks for the review! I read some of the bad reviews on TripAdvisor with some nervousness since I convinced a bunch of family members to stay there!

I'll be in Minneapolis for a family wedding this weekend. We all have reservations at the wedding hotel in a southern suburb starting on Friday, but I am staying at the Park Plaza thursday and convinced 2 sisters and a brother to stay there Thursday night also.

Sister in law is also staying there later in the week

Anita

Last edited by akp; Jul 17, 2012 at 8:31 pm Reason: forgot ot say thanks
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:40 am

I haven't read the TripAdvisor reviews. I'm wondering if part of this hotel's problem is that it's an unknown brand to Americans. If you go in thinking it's a Marriott, Sheraton, or Hilton, you're going to write a bad review. If you go in thinking it's unique...it's a chic European brand...you might write a disappointing review. If you go in thinking it's a Holiday Inn or a Ramada, you'll write a better review.

I can also see how the clientele at a hotel can affect one's perception of the property itself. I would bet that the average nonsmoker would rate this hotel lower than the average smoker.

I don't know how it prices during the week. On the weekend, a one-bedroom suite was $115, which prices a little higher than the typical Residence Inn one-bedroom suite in the area. A regular room was $76, which would put it lower than most Marriotts/Sheratons/Hiltons and probably in the range of a Holiday Inn or Ramada.

So to me it's all about expectations.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by akp
I read some of the bad reviews on TripAdvisor with some nervousness since I convinced a bunch of family members to stay there!
The hotel is fine. Give it about 3 stars or a bit below. Their occupancy is going to fall off a lot after the promo, though. Nothing special about it.

As alluded to above, every cigarette smoker in Minneapolis was clustered around the back door by the parking lot. Horrible.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Jul 19, 2012 at 7:09 am
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: LatinPass Million Miler
I have actually stayed at this hotel numerous times as it's just a 5 minute walk from our Corporate Offices. Nothing special, but certainly acceptable.

I never had any issues booking a room previously, but tried to book a room for next Wednesday and was unable to do so. All sold out! There must be a boatload of folks staying here to earn the points.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:22 am

Programs: Too many to list
Like Sweet Willie I, too, slept like a rock. For my dime the bed beats most of the airport hotels I usually use around MSP.

The real advantage, though, was the mid-week park and fly rate of $127 (only $10 or so more than the standard rate) compared to most other airport hotels that were pricing $169 and above at the airport marriott and priority club properties and I think closer to $200 for Hilton properties (again mid-week rates). Hyatt Place MSP was sold out, so I couldn't compare that. In the end, I actually saved money plus I received the 50k bonus for a park and fly on a stay I needed anyway.

Really glad the promo was going on, otherwise I would've probably missed the more competitive rate at a property I hadn't thought about. ^
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:52 pm
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Here now.

Check in was fast. I was recognized as gold elite and given an upgrade. The room is very clean and bed is quite comfortable with nice mid range linens.

The just off highway location is something I would normally avoid if not for the promo.

I agree with other posters-it's a fine place for a night's sleep.

Anita
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: Kimpton IC, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
I'll be staying here tomorrow for a points run with my brother. 5000 points + $61 ai. We plan on using 200,000 points at the May Fair in London during the Olympics. Would cost $4000+ ai without the points lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.