Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2016, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by feelhong
My TY Premier annual fee just posted and I was hoping to downgrade to TY Preferred. I tried calling and online chatting, and both CSRs said the Premier points will expire in 60 days after downgrading - even if it's still a TY card.

Has anyone gone through with the downgrade and actually see the points expire?
Check the wiki. 60 Day expiration is standard for closed TYP cards.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 8:32 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
My TY Premier annual fee just posted and I was hoping to downgrade to TY Preferred. I tried calling and online chatting, and both CSRs said the Premier points will expire in 60 days after downgrading - even if it's still a TY card.

Has anyone gone through with the downgrade and actually see the points expire?
I just closed a card this week. TY points were transferred and will expire in 60 days. If you transfer and keep the card open they expire in 90 days.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 6:19 pm

more than one month ago I closed my premier account but still keep prestige open. they are combined in thankyou points accounts. however, the points earned thru my premier cards aren't showing expiring. are the expiring points always showing correctly? if so, i could delay (or even never have to) transferring about 40k into airline points.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by alamanga
more than one month ago I closed my premier account but still keep prestige open. they are combined in thankyou points accounts. however, the points earned thru my premier cards aren't showing expiring. are the expiring points always showing correctly? if so, i could delay (or even never have to) transferring about 40k into airline points.
As the wiki at the top of this thread states clearly,
Note: The [expiring point] totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by DrForce
Check the wiki. 60 Day expiration is standard for closed TYP cards.
But what about downgraded cards? Is that considered a closed card?
Old Jun 11, 2016, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But what about downgraded cards? Is that considered a closed card?
Downgrading is the closing of one card and the opening of another card. While for credit reporting purposes it may be more "unified" than that (because they adjust how they report the close+open to credit bureaus, and because they transfer the credit limit from the closed card to the open card), for rewards program purposes it's separate cards that you're closing and opening.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Update on Premier downgrade to Preferred re:points expiry

Originally Posted by jigri2003
called on Premier ... Took another option which was the downgrade to Preferred... On the non-expiry of points due to downgrade... I will keep a close eye on whether an expiry date shows up once I actually activate the new Preferred and the existing Premier gets closed.
It's been a few days since I activated the Preferred, and the Premier closed immediately after the new activation. At the moment, the TY account still shows no expiration date for any points. I assume this means downgrades do not lead to 60 day expiration, unlike regular closures. Will update if anything changes.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:52 am

It's been a few days since I activated the Preferred, and the Premier closed immediately after the new activation. At the moment, the TY account still shows no expiration date for any points. I assume this means downgrades do not lead to 60 day expiration, unlike regular closures. Will update if anything changes.
Transfers usually are 90 days and cancellations usually are 60 days. I just did it with my AT&T card to Citi 2X cash. When I checked it was just a little over 100 days when they expire.

But in my case I had to transfer to another TYP card. Your case it's a TYP card to a TYP card?

I would keep a eye on them it took a couple days for mine to show a expiration date. Good luck
Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
Transfers usually are 90 days and cancellations usually are 60 days. I just did it with my AT&T card to Citi 2X cash. When I checked it was just a little over 100 days when they expire.

But in my case I had to transfer to another TYP card. Your case it's a TYP card to a TYP card?

I would keep a eye on them it took a couple days for mine to show a expiration date. Good luck

Folks, I just saw this and wanted to reply right away.

3 years ago, I did downgrade from TYPremier to TYPreferred and all the respective points are still fine.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by AmCh
Folks, I just saw this and wanted to reply right away.

3 years ago, I did downgrade from TYPremier to TYPreferred and all the respective points are still fine.
Good and thanks for sharing on same down grade.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:07 pm

That is a very, very bad assumption.

As explained in the wiki under How can I see my expiring points?,
Note: The totals [i.e., of expiring points] displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
As explained in the wiki under How can I see my expiring points?,
Do we know the source of the Wikipost statement that expiration due to account closure is not displayed?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Do we know the source of the Wikipost statement that expiration due to account closure is not displayed?
IIRC, it has been attested on FT (in this thread?) by more than one poster. I myself have observed this phenomenon on my account.

Edit: See this post from 2013, and the discussion that follows, in which I described the phenomenon.

Last edited by beltway; Jun 14, 2016 at 4:25 pm
Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:38 pm

im assuming transfering Prestige TYP to Premier TYP also falls under the expiration policy?
Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:03 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by BuBu4
im assuming transfering Prestige TYP to Premier TYP also falls under the expiration policy?
Do you mean "downgrading" your account from Prestige to Premier -or- do you mean "sharing" the points in one ThankYou account with another?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.