Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

FAQ: PRC Visa-Free Transit (AKA Transit Without Visa or "TWOV")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post and can edit this Wikipost.

TWOV (Transit Without Visa) - UNDER 24 HOURS: Visa required, except for Holders of confirmed onward tickets for a max. transit [[TIRULES/R32]] time of 24 hours. Transit incl. two stops, with a total transit time of 24 hours, within China (People's Rep.) is permitted.

For other China visa information: China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

From IATA / TIMATIC: "CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.): (under) 72-HOUR VISA-FREE TRANSIT AT BEIJING, SHANGHAI, GUANGZHOU, AND CHENGDU (ONLY)

In order to avail of 72 hour TWOV, persons must remain in one of these 4 regions, and arrive/depart via air. In other words, flying into Beijing and out of Shanghai is fine for <24 hour transits, but is prohibited for 24-72 hour transits. (moondog, 9/10/2013)

CA175/6 (PEK<->PVG<->SYD), CA177/8 (PEK<->PVG<->MEL), CA155/6 (PEK<->PVG<->SDJ), CA153/4 (PEK<->DLC<->HIJ), CA951/2 (PEK<->DLC<->NRT), CA953/4 (PEK<->DLC<->FUK), CA977/8 (PEK<->XMN<->CGK), CA945/6 (PEK<->CTU<->KHI) and CA905/6 (PEK<->KMG<->RGN) are not non-stop international flights from Beijing; therefore passengers taking these flights do not qualify for the 72-hour visa-free policy in Beijing because the point of entry/exit into China is the intermediate stop, not PEK. Transiting China with these flights is OK without a visa as long as you enter and exit China - intermediate stops included - within 24 hours. If your time in China is over 24 hours, a visa is necessary. (kaimanawa, Jan 2014)

Effective from 1 January 2013, nationals of 45 countries transiting through Beijing (PEK) and Shanghai (PVG and SHA) to a third country (includes Hong Kong or Macau SARs) and holding confirmed onward tickets are permitted to enter China (People's Rep.) without a visa, for max. 72 hours. Passengers must arrive in and depart from the same city. This facility is available for nationals of Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Czech Rep., Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Japan, Korea (Rep.), Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russian Fed., Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, USA, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates and holders of British Citizen passports.+ - 28 Jan 2013, c/o drewguy

"Nationals of USA holding confirmed onward tickets for a max. transit time of 72 hours at Beijing (PEK), Shanghai Hongqiao (SHA) or Shanghai Pudong (PVG), provided arriving in and departing from the same city. " (c/o Akiestar)

China Embassy website: "3. Visitors are not allowed to leave Beijing or Shanghai to other cities during the 72-hour visa-free period. They can only depart Beijing from Capital International Airport (PEK) or Pudong International Airport (PVG) as well as Hongqiao International Airport (SHA)." (c/o anacapamalibu) (You are expected to remain generally within the Port of Entry municipality and to depart from the same POE within 72 hours.)

These are merely advisory summaries and not meant to be comprehensive; please read the thread, with TIMATIC: <star alliance link>; skyteam link> (easier to read), etc.

See China visa FAQ post here
and be aware: China visa requirements and procedures are due to change 1 July 2013.

Note that there's a separate and much shorter thread here in the China forum devoted to TWOV at PVG/Shanghai. It has some details of the airport setup for TWOV at PVG, especially the new 72 hour rule.

Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and Taiwan are considered 3rd countries for the purpose of TWOV.

This is what constitutes "transit" in the eyes of Chinese officials:

1) You must FLY in from one country and out to a different country NONSTOP
*Cruise ship passengers are reportedly going to get TWOV privileges soon
2) The Chinese only care about the segments that touch PRC soil
-this means that it's totally fine to go to China from the US and back as long as you connect in a third country in one direction
3) For 72 hour TWOV you must arrive and depart from the same Chinese city
4) For 24 hour TWOV, you can arrive and depart from anywhere by plane (e.g. into Guangzhou and out from Wulumuqi is fine)

moondog, 2/2/2014

Print Wikipost

FAQ: PRC Visa-Free Transit (AKA Transit Without Visa or "TWOV")

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Norway excluded from CAN 72 hr twov.

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/artic...ur-visa-scheme
Correct, but Norwegians were also excluded from the PEK and PVG-SHA 72 hour extended allowance period. They are still entitled to 24 hour TWOV at all locations, though, and may leave the airport.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
I've read several reports online that Chengdu will be added (in addition to Guangzhou) for the 72 hour TWOV exemption, though none of the articles listed specific start dates--only that it would start later this year.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Guangzhou news now posted on LL:

http://loyaltylobby.com/2013/07/26/v...g-to-guangzhou
Old Jul 26, 2013, 1:50 pm

They write: "Guangzhou is the third Chinese city that will allow, starting on August 31, 72-hour visa free transit for citizens of 45 countries."

Ummm.. is it now August 1st, or August 31st????

I'm planning to arrive there August 15th, so this is quite important for me, if I need to get a visa, or not..
Old Jul 26, 2013, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I would get a visa just to be safe.

However, SCMP is the English journalism standard of HK and has better source and I would trust their information accuracy. YMMV

Loyaltylobby looks like a travel blog.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
They write: "Guangzhou is the third Chinese city that will allow, starting on August 31, 72-hour visa free transit for citizens of 45 countries."

I'm planning to arrive there August 15th, so this is quite important for me, if I need to get a visa, or not..
This information-confusion is exactly why I usually tell people to plan based on what is rather than what might be, until actual field reports confirm that extended TWOV's are operational.

Everything quasi-official that I have heard has said August 1. Not 31. But nothing etched in stone.

August 15 travel date is a tough call, but based only on what we know so far, I'd lean towards getting a visa and not gambling, particularly if on any passport other than a USA one since the cost of a visa isn't prohibitive. Other option is to have ducks in a row ready to get a visa but wait until August 1 or 2 to pull the trigger and get the application in (or not) based on real-time CAN reports. In most locations, there would still be time to get a visa processed if implementation of extended-time TWOV turns out to be delayed. I don't think anybody here or anywhere else is going to be able to give you any guarantees.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by jiejie
This information-confusion is exactly why I usually tell people to plan based on what is rather than what might be, until actual field reports confirm that extended TWOV's are operational.

Everything quasi-official that I have heard has said August 1. Not 31. But nothing etched in stone.

August 15 travel date is a tough call, but based only on what we know so far, I'd lean towards getting a visa and not gambling, particularly if on any passport other than a USA one since the cost of a visa isn't prohibitive. Other option is to have ducks in a row ready to get a visa but wait until August 1 or 2 to pull the trigger and get the application in (or not) based on real-time CAN reports. In most locations, there would still be time to get a visa processed if implementation of extended-time TWOV turns out to be delayed. I don't think anybody here or anywhere else is going to be able to give you any guarantees.
Good advise. Swiss consulate has a 5 workday rule on Visa, but usually you get it done in 3 days. So I can happily wait till after August 1st and see what/if the rules are by then. Once TIMETAC is including CAN, I'll definitely gamble on it. If not by 5 workdays prior to travel, I'll get the Visa. Luckily I haven't booked the ticket yet (US DM) - so if everything goes wrong (no TVOA and issues getting the visa on time here) I could still change my routing to end in HKG, get a fast visa there, and take train/bus over from there.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Another caution that not all airline ticket agents know the China transit rules: Last month I was ticketed to fly United from SFO to PEK, then continue the next day on to Mongolia. The SFO ticket agent had a problem with the fact that I had no China visa.

She had to read the rules very slowly and carefully to verify that no visa was needed...it was a bit of a tense moment for me.

Then, during the flight, I realized that I had no official-looking printed itinerary to show to China immigration. Using the on-board wifi, I took a screenshot of the UA email confirmation. That worked fine upon arrival at PEK.

And to repeat what others have noted, upon arrival at PEK, transit passengers should go to the transit desk located by some large plants, to the left of the lines of people waiting to go through immigration.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
data point... US friend of mine used the 72 hour transit this last weekend at PVG. straightforward process, TWOV lane clearly marked.

only problem was at the hotel that didn't know how to check him in (it was a smaller hotel chain). they were used to the 48 hour TWOV and had not seen a 72 hour one before.

thankfully I had a screen shot (in Chinese) from the Chinese embassy website with the explanation of what it all meant and they were able to use that to enter whatever they needed into the system.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 6:58 am

While searching Timatic (Olympic Air's online version) for something totally unrelated I noticed there was a link to a Timatic news alert re: 72 hr transits in CAN as follows:

CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.): 72-HOUR VISA-FREE TRANSIT AT GUANGZHOU
Effective from 1 August 2013, nationals of 45 countries

transiting through Guangzhou (CAN) to a third country and

holding confirmed onward airline tickets are permitted to

enter China (People's Rep.) without a visa, for max. 72 hours.
Passengers must arrive in and depart from Guangzhou Baiyun
International Airport (CAN).

This facility is available for nationals of Argentina,

Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam,
Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Czech Rep., Denmark, Estonia,
Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland
(Rep.), Italy, Japan, Korea (Rep.), Latvia, Lithuania,
Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland,
Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russian Fed., Singapore, Slovakia,
Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, USA, Ukraine, United
Arab Emirates and holders of British Citizen passports.

Timaticweb Version 1.3
01 August 2013
Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:02 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer

Looks like Aug 1st. TIMATIC has been updated to include CAN in the list of 72hr TWOV airports.

[KVS Availability Tool 7.1.9/Diamond - TIMATIC: Country Information: Visa]
Code:
[Visa Information] China (People's Rep.) (CN)

Visa required.
. (cut)

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
- Holders of confirmed onward airline tickets for a max.
  transit [[TIRULES/R32]] time of 24 hours. Transit incl.
  multiple stops within China (People's Rep.), with a total
  transit time of max. 24 hours, is permitted. (SEE NOTE
  43501) (SEE NOTE 43503) (SEE NOTE 46798) 
 - Nationals of Canada and USA are not permitted to use the
   multiple-stop transit within China, if transiting through
   Tianjin (TSN), Weihai (WEH), Wuhan (WUH), Xi An (XIY) or
   Zhengzhou (CGO).
    NOTE 43501: Not applicable to holders of travel documents
   (other than passports) issued by Hong Kong (SAR China) and
   Macao (SAR China). 
    NOTE 43503: Not applicable to holders of British passports
   endorsed  British National (Overseas) , who are required to
   hold a Returning Resident Permit, together with their Hong
   Kong ID.
    NOTE 46798: not applicable to holders of Chinese Taipei
   (on the cover: Republic of China Taiwan) passports.
- Nationals of Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil,
  Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Czech Rep., Denmark,
  Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland,
  Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Korea (Rep.), Latvia, Lithuania,
  Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland,
  Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russian Fed., Slovakia, Slovenia,
  Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, USA, Ukraine and United Arab
  Emirates holding confirmed onward airline tickets to a third
  country for a max. transit time of 72 hours at Beijing
  (PEK), Guangzhou (CAN), Shanghai Hongqiao (SHA) or Shanghai
  Pudong (PVG), provided arriving in and departing from the
  same city.
- Holders of British passports endorsed  British Citizen 
  holding confirmed onward airline tickets for a max. transit
  time of 72 hours at Beijing (PEK), Guangzhou (CAN), Shanghai
  Hongqiao (SHA) or Shanghai Pudong (PVG), provided arriving
  in and departing from the same city.
- All transiting passengers are subject to a check by
  immigration officials. 
- Leaving the transit area is allowed. (SEE NOTE 43501) (SEE
  NOTE 43503) 
    NOTE 43501: Not applicable to holders of travel documents
   (other than passports) issued by Hong Kong (SAR China) and
   Macao (SAR China). 
    NOTE 43503: Not applicable to holders of British passports
   endorsed  British National (Overseas) , who are required to
   hold a Returning Resident Permit, together with their Hong
   Kong ID.
.(cut)
CHECK [[TINEWS/N1]] - CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.): 72-HOUR VISA-FREE
TRANSIT AT GUANGZHOU

01 Aug 2013 / 13:56 [UTC]
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:54 am

If TIMATIC has updated to reflect this, I assume that Chinese Immigration is geared up and ready to go. Anybody passing through or in GZ and able to grab a peek or talk to Immigration at Baiyun and confirm, please do so....even if you aren't TWOV'ing yourself. Or keep your eyes peeled for local news reports that confirm a queue and 72-hour stamping is going on.

On a related note, if they are stamping for 72 hours, then likely they're also now complying with the 24 hour TWOV for non-eligible passport holders. Hopefully putting to rest the rogue attitude that in the past hassled people trying to leave the airport for short layovers.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:50 pm

have fixed my CAN booking now. will enter on 15th August. entering from BKK leahing for SIN. keep you updated
Old Aug 1, 2013, 10:33 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Do I need a VISA???

I am arriving on Beijing on October 30 and have a 5 hour layover to an award I pulled to XIAM. I know if I do this I need a VISA.

I also have an award pulled to go to Seoul with a 2 hour layover.

On my Seoul award I would come back to PEK with intent to fly back home to US. I was thinking of changing to come back to PEK one day earlier and spending a day there if I can do this without a VISA.

My question is do I need a VISA in this case where the less than 72 hours is on way back?

What happens if I mis-connect (Only have two hours) and cancel that portion and decide to just stay in PEK for 4 days. I am not trying to pull one off her I have been to PEK several times and am really interested in either Korea or seeing the Terracotta Warriors.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by thepla
I am arriving on Beijing on October 30 and have a 5 hour layover to an award I pulled to XIAM. I know if I do this I need a VISA.

I also have an award pulled to go to Seoul with a 2 hour layover.

On my Seoul award I would come back to PEK with intent to fly back home to US. I was thinking of changing to come back to PEK one day earlier and spending a day there if I can do this without a VISA.

My question is do I need a VISA in this case where the less than 72 hours is on way back?

What happens if I mis-connect (Only have two hours) and cancel that portion and decide to just stay in PEK for 4 days. I am not trying to pull one off her I have been to PEK several times and am really interested in either Korea or seeing the Terracotta Warriors.
Intl - PEK - XIY needs a Chinese visa. In this case, PEK is not an international transit point. Intl - PEK - ICN and reverse ICN - PEK - Intl does not require a visa as long as the "Intl" is in a country that is not Korea. AND assuming you have a USA passport, the PEK transit is not more than 72 hours during each connection which is treated separately.

If you misconnect, you cannot use that as an excuse to cancel and stay in Beijing without a visa for four days. Believe me, Chinese Immigration will catch this. Assuming your airline is cooperative, you can rebook another flight out as long as it's within the 72 hour limit. This is different from a situation where you are scheduled to fly out at say, hour #68 then due to severe WX or MX or other factor not under your control, you have to overstay the 72 hour limit. In this case, your airline will rebook you on first practical option out and Immigration will extend your gratis transit period only as long as it takes to accomplish the new departure time.

I'm unclear from your post if these are two separate awards but it seems that if they are booked, your best choice is to get a multiple-entry Chinese visa and then worrying about time limits for transits becomes irrelevant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.