The consolidated Peking Duck thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The consolidated Peking Duck thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2014, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie
The more I look at your plans, the more I think the inside of the Forbidden City is what you need to dump off this plan, especially since you've seen it a long time ago. Get up early and leave BJ by 07:00, get to Mutianyu no later than 08:30, spend 2 hours on the Wall, return to central BJ about noon and have driver drop you at either Jingshan Park (if a clear day) or around the corner from Tiananmen (if hazy day). Spend about an hour walking and viewing the FC from the outside (maybe stop by the outer east moat) then about a half-hour or less getting to Made in China at the Grand Hyatt. Lunch reservation for duck at 13:30 and enough time for a leisurely meal. Then get to South Station. This plan would tend to favor you staying in the Wangfujing area.

I agree with moondog on not liking your latest plan. The timing just isn't going to work like you think. Give up whichever is least priority to you: GW, FC inside, or duck. Or move the duck to Tianjin/TEDA since you can't move the other 2 there.
Yeah I think this looks doable. Looks like I can also just take the train to Tianjin instead of Tanggu, which means I'm not tied to the 6:40pm train but I can go even later if needed.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by moondog
Unless you happen to know of a Dadong that is remotely close to the FC, I'm not liking this plan one bit because it entails two longish taxi rides (e.g. I would budget at least 45 mins to get from the 3rd Ring Dadong to South Stn, and an extra 10 mins coming from the Dongsishitiao location).
I was thinking of the Dadong on Jinbao street (No. 88) in the mall (just east of Wangfujing). It's perhaps a 20 minute walk from the east gate of the FC, perhaps faster by taxi (depending on traffic!).

Dadong locations:

http://www.dadongdadong.com/en/index.html?lang=0

See first one on list.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by drewguy
I was thinking of the Dadong on Jinbao street (No. 88) in the mall (just east of Wangfujing). It's perhaps a 20 minute walk from the east gate of the FC, perhaps faster by taxi (depending on traffic!).

Dadong locations:

See first one on list.
There have been quite a number of negative reports about the Jinbao Dadong branch. IIRC, some of them have appeared in this forum. Suggest not going there.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 1:21 pm

There have been quite a number of negative reports about the Jinbao Dadong branch. IIRC, some of them have appeared in this forum. Suggest not going there.
Hmm. Well I can't compare it to the other dadongs, but I've been there 3 or 4 times in the last 2 years and had no issues, just good duck and other dishes.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by drewguy

Dadong locations:

See first one on list.
I think a 20 minute walk is optimistic to get to this location from the FC, however, it is walkable I guess. I'm less and less of a fan of Da Dong's duck (although I like a lot of the other dishes), but agree that it's a popular choice (in fact, my first ever duck was at this very location).

tb
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by trueblu
I think a 20 minute walk is optimistic to get to this location from the FC, however, it is walkable I guess. I'm less and less of a fan of Da Dong's duck (although I like a lot of the other dishes), but agree that it's a popular choice (in fact, my first ever duck was at this very location).

tb
Perhaps not 20 mins, but it's also not 3d ring road.

Anyway, presenting options to the OP. Plenty of debate in this thread on best duck, but 4 viable options (Da Dong, Made in China, Duck de Chine and Quan Ju De) all are in/near Wangfujing, which is a reasonable distance from the FC.
Old May 3, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
We are looking for a budget duck place convenient to the subway between Qianmen (Line 2) and the Airport Express train since we have an afternoon & evening layover. Cheap & cheerful with no reservations required on a Friday evening just after Golden Week (special working day-whatever that is). After we eat, we will hop on the subway and go back to the airport.

So far, Li Qun is looking good unless someone has a better idea? http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Restau...t-Beijing.html
Old May 4, 2014, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tiki
We are looking for a budget duck place convenient to the subway between Qianmen (Line 2) and the Airport Express train since we have an afternoon & evening layover. Cheap & cheerful with no reservations required on a Friday evening just after Golden Week (special working day-whatever that is). After we eat, we will hop on the subway and go back to the airport.

So far, Li Qun is looking good unless someone has a better idea? http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Restau...t-Beijing.html
There is a Quan jue de branch between the san yuan qiao and liang ma qiao stops on subway line 10. It's right next to the Hilton Beijing. Since the airport express stops at San yuan qiao station this would be very easy to access coming from the airport.
Old May 4, 2014, 5:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tiki

Li Qun is pretty nice (in fact, during a "duck run" ~7 years ago, my friend rated it better than Dadong and Made in China). Xiaowangfu happens to be my favorite budget duck place, though you can get far cheaper ducks in the hutongs.

The thing is, since the span between cheap and expensive is only Y200, it probably makes sense to go all out if you don't visit Beijing often.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: Accor Platinum,Aeroplan,BA,Marriot Rewards, Alaska Airlines, Amex Platinum, SPG
Any good duck at PEK?

We have an upcoming 4-5 hours layover at PEK terminal 3. Is it possible to have some decent peking duck there? Any other restaurant suggestions? We are flying biz on Air China, so can use the lounge too.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kay sedia
We have an upcoming 4-5 hours layover at PEK terminal 3. Is it possible to have some decent peking duck there? Any other restaurant suggestions? We are flying biz on Air China, so can use the lounge too.
Maybe try the Jinbaiwan in Shunyi:

http://english.cntv.cn/20110824/104131_1.shtml

I've heard there is a Quanjude in the area as well.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: Accor Platinum,Aeroplan,BA,Marriot Rewards, Alaska Airlines, Amex Platinum, SPG
So do you think we have time to leave airport, or is that in/near airport? If we leave airport how long do you think we need to get back through security? I thought we would likely just stay at airport as we are flying from Vancouver on the way to Bangkok. I don't expect to be to feeling too energetic by then, but if it's easy who knows
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: various
These places aren't at the airport. Frankly, it sounds like too much trouble to me, for a layover that short.

Does anybody here know if the main Chinese restaurant inside the Airport Hilton serves duck? Because if they do (likely) and it's halfway decent, that might be a reasonable compromise and definitely the easiest to manage from a time-and-logistics standpoint. It won't be a cheap meal, but by the time you pay for transport to anywhere else, probably balances out.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

These places aren't at the airport. Frankly, it sounds like too much trouble to me, for a layover that short.
They're pretty close to the airport, though. I'm thinking 15 minutes by taxi:

http://map.baidu.com/?newmap=1&s=con...ap&tpl=mapsite

Does anybody here know if the main Chinese restaurant inside the Airport Hilton serves duck? Because if they do (likely) and it's halfway decent, that might be a reasonable compromise and definitely the easiest to manage from a time-and-logistics standpoint. It won't be a cheap meal, but by the time you pay for transport to anywhere else, probably balances out.
This was actually my first thought, but I checked out the restaurant descriptions on their website and there was nary a mention of duck. I'm sure they cook ducks there... just probably unremarkable and perhaps overpriced.

IMO, 4 hours should be sufficient to get to a restaurant that does decent duck volume. I searched in Shunyi village because I know the the culinary bar is reasonably high there and it is close to the airport. However, heading in towards town (e.g. Lido) would also do the trick. It really comes down to how much energy the poster in question has upon arrival.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 3:11 pm

Thanks for all the info, it would be great if there was a half decent option at the airport hotel. We may just have the energy to cab it somewhere, hard to say yet, but its nice to have some names just in case

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.