Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In this case, it wouldn't hurt for the person to include some tourist activities on the trip.
Yes, in her case it would be wise to do so, making it a mixed-activity trip.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jiejie
Yes, in her case it would be wise to do so, making it a mixed-activity trip.
Um. No. The visa application doesn't request such details; writing them in only makes one look strange.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Again, thank you to everyone to took the time to respond. It did help me out.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Um. No. The visa application doesn't request such details; writing them in only makes one look strange.
Sorry for lack of clarity, but I was talking about what she actually does in real-time on the trip, and not the visa application. For the tourist visa application, she just needs to do the typical filling in of a simple itinerary (cities) in the field where asked, check box for the tourist visa as purpose of visit, tick the occupation box for "company employee" or "business person" and then also hand in the plane ticket confirmations and some hotel bookings. Of course no further written details needed nor any mention of business activities.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 10:27 pm

Sorry for lack of clarity, but I was talking about what she actually does in real-time on the trip, and not the visa application. For the tourist visa application, she just needs to do the typical filling in of a simple itinerary (cities) in the field where asked, check box for the tourist visa as purpose of visit, tick the occupation box for "company employee" or "business person" and then also hand in the plane ticket confirmations and some hotel bookings. Of course no further written details needed nor any mention of business activities.
I got you. I'm quite sure that Jeanie will do something touristy on her trip. But, I thought about this more after posting last night; she should refrain from listing a city like "Dongguan" on her visa application; Beijing and Shanghai are much better.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:56 pm

Can an Oregonian Apply in LA or DC?

The various web sites indicate which office a resident should use when applying for a visa. My question is whether that is a hard and fast rule or if they would accept an application in LA or DC for someone from Oregon (the office I'm supposed to use is SF)?

I ask because I'll be in each of these cities and could drop the application off myself but if I'm not planning any trips to SF and would then need to use a service and pay their fee.

Does anyone know if what happens if you use one of the locations other than the one they say you are supposed to?
Old Jul 17, 2015, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
I got you. I'm quite sure that Jeanie will do something touristy on her trip. But, I thought about this more after posting last night; she should refrain from listing a city like "Dongguan" on her visa application; Beijing and Shanghai are much better.
Have you seen the number of tour busses from Hong Kong in Dongguan? Dongguan is famous for it's golf.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by sbedelman
The various web sites indicate which office a resident should use when applying for a visa. My question is whether that is a hard and fast rule or if they would accept an application in LA or DC for someone from Oregon (the office I'm supposed to use is SF)?

I ask because I'll be in each of these cities and could drop the application off myself but if I'm not planning any trips to SF and would then need to use a service and pay their fee.

Does anyone know if what happens if you use one of the locations other than the one they say you are supposed to?
Most jurisdictions are stricter than they used to be on not crossing assigned geographic lines any more, and some will reject an application from outside their district. I have heard LA Consulate will consider processing tourist visa applications from northern California but not other types, and not sure about those from other states. However, if you live in the SF Consular District, you have a decent option for an agent/service: www.freechinavisa.org which isn't free, but is remarkably low cost ($20) and provides reputable service. I strongly suggest you consider using them and not waste time dealing with parking and queuing at the LA Consulate or DC Embassy. "Dropping off" the visa application is not quite as carefree as you make it sound.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Most jurisdictions are stricter than they used to be on not crossing assigned geographic lines any more, and some will reject an application from outside their district. I have heard LA Consulate will consider processing tourist visa applications from northern California but not other types, and not sure about those from other states. However, if you live in the SF Consular District, you have a decent option for an agent/service: www.freechinavisa.org which isn't free, but is remarkably low cost ($20) and provides reputable service. I strongly suggest you consider using them and not waste time dealing with parking and queuing at the LA Consulate or DC Embassy. "Dropping off" the visa application is not quite as carefree as you make it sound.
I Am trying to apply for 10 year visa as US citizen in Madrid and embassy said they could do it. So why can't that be done cross border in the USA as well?
Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I Am trying to apply for 10 year visa as US citizen in Madrid and embassy said they could do it. So why can't that be done cross border in the USA as well?
Different consulates have different rules.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Does anyone have any current information about the 5 day Visa on Arrival at Shenzhen for British passport holders?

I'm a British passport holder visiting Hong Kong. Looking to just enter for one day.

From what I understand it's possible (at a price) but I keep reading that the situation on this is fluid so would really appreciate any current info if available.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by clearedforlanding
Does anyone have any current information about the 5 day Visa on Arrival at Shenzhen for British passport holders?

I'm a British passport holder visiting Hong Kong. Looking to just enter for one day.

From what I understand it's possible (at a price) but I keep reading that the situation on this is fluid so would really appreciate any current info if available.
Still possible for Brits but I believe only available at the Lowu/Luohu border crossing. A detailed description, with recent update mention:
http://www.olinorwell.com/how-to-vis...rom-hong-kong/
Old Jul 25, 2015, 2:29 pm
qpr

Still possible for Brits but I believe only available at the Lowu/Luohu border crossing. A detailed description, with recent update mention:
As far as I know itīs also available at Huanggang, Shekou and Fuyong.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by qpr
As far as I know itīs also available at Huanggang, Shekou and Fuyong.
Ah, seems you are correct, though Luohu has the longest hours of availability. Seems that the special Shenzhen visa on arrival office hours are
Luohu 09:00-22:30
Fuyong 08:30-17:30
Shekou and Huanggang have morning hours roughly 09:00-12:30/13:00, then close and reopen for afternoon hours 14:30-17:00/17:30.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:09 am

[Delete response to old post.]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.