Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 21, 17, 5:29 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: mnbp
Wiki Link
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)
Main source: Visa Page - Embassy of the People's Republic of China in the United States of America (external website)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Jul 11, 15, 10:13 am
  #886  
Ambassador, China
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beijing
Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
Posts: 6,594
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
In this case, it wouldn't hurt for the person to include some tourist activities on the trip.
Yes, in her case it would be wise to do so, making it a mixed-activity trip.
jiejie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 15, 10:40 am
  #887  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 27,628
Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
Yes, in her case it would be wise to do so, making it a mixed-activity trip.
Um. No. The visa application doesn't request such details; writing them in only makes one look strange.
moondog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 15, 5:54 pm
  #888  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Programs: AA plt 2 mm, MR LTPP, HH dia
Posts: 1,177
Again, thank you to everyone to took the time to respond. It did help me out.
jeanie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 15, 10:47 pm
  #889  
Ambassador, China
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beijing
Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
Posts: 6,594
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Um. No. The visa application doesn't request such details; writing them in only makes one look strange.
Sorry for lack of clarity, but I was talking about what she actually does in real-time on the trip, and not the visa application. For the tourist visa application, she just needs to do the typical filling in of a simple itinerary (cities) in the field where asked, check box for the tourist visa as purpose of visit, tick the occupation box for "company employee" or "business person" and then also hand in the plane ticket confirmations and some hotel bookings. Of course no further written details needed nor any mention of business activities.
jiejie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 15, 11:27 pm
  #890  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 27,628
Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
Sorry for lack of clarity, but I was talking about what she actually does in real-time on the trip, and not the visa application. For the tourist visa application, she just needs to do the typical filling in of a simple itinerary (cities) in the field where asked, check box for the tourist visa as purpose of visit, tick the occupation box for "company employee" or "business person" and then also hand in the plane ticket confirmations and some hotel bookings. Of course no further written details needed nor any mention of business activities.
I got you. I'm quite sure that Jeanie will do something touristy on her trip. But, I thought about this more after posting last night; she should refrain from listing a city like "Dongguan" on her visa application; Beijing and Shanghai are much better.
moondog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 15, 11:56 pm
  #891  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 733
Can an Oregonian Apply in LA or DC?

The various web sites indicate which office a resident should use when applying for a visa. My question is whether that is a hard and fast rule or if they would accept an application in LA or DC for someone from Oregon (the office I'm supposed to use is SF)?

I ask because I'll be in each of these cities and could drop the application off myself but if I'm not planning any trips to SF and would then need to use a service and pay their fee.

Does anyone know if what happens if you use one of the locations other than the one they say you are supposed to?
sbedelman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 15, 8:18 am
  #892  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,630
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
I got you. I'm quite sure that Jeanie will do something touristy on her trip. But, I thought about this more after posting last night; she should refrain from listing a city like "Dongguan" on her visa application; Beijing and Shanghai are much better.
Have you seen the number of tour busses from Hong Kong in Dongguan? Dongguan is famous for it's golf.
Shimon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 15, 10:33 pm
  #893  
Ambassador, China
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beijing
Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
Posts: 6,594
Originally Posted by sbedelman View Post
The various web sites indicate which office a resident should use when applying for a visa. My question is whether that is a hard and fast rule or if they would accept an application in LA or DC for someone from Oregon (the office I'm supposed to use is SF)?

I ask because I'll be in each of these cities and could drop the application off myself but if I'm not planning any trips to SF and would then need to use a service and pay their fee.

Does anyone know if what happens if you use one of the locations other than the one they say you are supposed to?
Most jurisdictions are stricter than they used to be on not crossing assigned geographic lines any more, and some will reject an application from outside their district. I have heard LA Consulate will consider processing tourist visa applications from northern California but not other types, and not sure about those from other states. However, if you live in the SF Consular District, you have a decent option for an agent/service: www.freechinavisa.org which isn't free, but is remarkably low cost ($20) and provides reputable service. I strongly suggest you consider using them and not waste time dealing with parking and queuing at the LA Consulate or DC Embassy. "Dropping off" the visa application is not quite as carefree as you make it sound.
jiejie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 15, 9:33 pm
  #894  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NC
Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Plat, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat Prem
Posts: 9,505
Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
Most jurisdictions are stricter than they used to be on not crossing assigned geographic lines any more, and some will reject an application from outside their district. I have heard LA Consulate will consider processing tourist visa applications from northern California but not other types, and not sure about those from other states. However, if you live in the SF Consular District, you have a decent option for an agent/service: www.freechinavisa.org which isn't free, but is remarkably low cost ($20) and provides reputable service. I strongly suggest you consider using them and not waste time dealing with parking and queuing at the LA Consulate or DC Embassy. "Dropping off" the visa application is not quite as carefree as you make it sound.
I Am trying to apply for 10 year visa as US citizen in Madrid and embassy said they could do it. So why can't that be done cross border in the USA as well?
SkyTeam777 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 15, 10:15 pm
  #895  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 27,628
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
I Am trying to apply for 10 year visa as US citizen in Madrid and embassy said they could do it. So why can't that be done cross border in the USA as well?
Different consulates have different rules.
moondog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 15, 9:45 pm
  #896  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor, Amex, Tesco
Posts: 308
Does anyone have any current information about the 5 day Visa on Arrival at Shenzhen for British passport holders?

I'm a British passport holder visiting Hong Kong. Looking to just enter for one day.

From what I understand it's possible (at a price) but I keep reading that the situation on this is fluid so would really appreciate any current info if available.
clearedforlanding is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 15, 9:16 am
  #897  
Ambassador, China
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beijing
Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
Posts: 6,594
Originally Posted by clearedforlanding View Post
Does anyone have any current information about the 5 day Visa on Arrival at Shenzhen for British passport holders?

I'm a British passport holder visiting Hong Kong. Looking to just enter for one day.

From what I understand it's possible (at a price) but I keep reading that the situation on this is fluid so would really appreciate any current info if available.
Still possible for Brits but I believe only available at the Lowu/Luohu border crossing. A detailed description, with recent update mention:
http://www.olinorwell.com/how-to-vis...rom-hong-kong/
jiejie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 15, 3:29 pm
  #898  
qpr
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 314
Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
Still possible for Brits but I believe only available at the Lowu/Luohu border crossing. A detailed description, with recent update mention:
As far as I know itīs also available at Huanggang, Shekou and Fuyong.
qpr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 15, 7:25 pm
  #899  
Ambassador, China
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beijing
Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
Posts: 6,594
Originally Posted by qpr View Post
As far as I know itīs also available at Huanggang, Shekou and Fuyong.
Ah, seems you are correct, though Luohu has the longest hours of availability. Seems that the special Shenzhen visa on arrival office hours are
Luohu 09:00-22:30
Fuyong 08:30-17:30
Shekou and Huanggang have morning hours roughly 09:00-12:30/13:00, then close and reopen for afternoon hours 14:30-17:00/17:30.
jiejie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 15, 2:09 am
  #900  
889
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,373
[Delete response to old post.]
889 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: