Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China flight questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2006, 8:44 am
Original Poster

China flight questions

My wife and I are considering a a trip to Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong either starting August 29 or October 7. Weather wise any advice as to which is best?

We would like to fly business or first class using miles. We have or can have sufficient miles for a standard (not double miles) ticket with Air Canada, Continental, Delta or US Air (including partners). We will be flying from Louisville, Kentucky but are willing to meet our China flight anywhere in North America if the arrangements make sense. Also, if we could get a cheap paid ticket we'd consider it.

What is the best way to go about finding a cheap ticket. Air Canada seems pretty cheap out of LAX. It flys to Vancouver and then to Beijing with the Hong Kong return for about $3,000 plus cost of ticket SDF to LAX. Timing requires overnighting in LAX each way. Other prices range from $4,000 to over $10,000 per ticket.

We would fly any major carrier with a decent Business Class. Lay flat at an angle seats while nice and not an absolute must. We have tried with little luck the major air fare sites and would appreciate any suggestions you might have.

If this message would be better placed elsewhere, please suggest the proper forum.

Thanks.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I can only comment on the weather - October 7 is FAR better in all those locations than August 29 when it is horribly hot and sticky in all three.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 3:24 pm

We just flew Air France in first class FLL to IAH to CDG to PKG then on to Hong Kong. Air France first was outstanding. It was a newer 777 with just 8 seats in first. Seats and service were superb!!
Old Feb 7, 2006, 11:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I suggest you post in the AC forum about their 767s in J. I took 3 tpacs last year, all in Y; 2 were on really dingy planes while the 3rd was nice.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by mshaikun
My wife and I are considering a a trip to Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong either starting August 29 or October 7. Weather wise any advice as to which is best?

What is the best way to go about finding a cheap ticket. Air Canada seems pretty cheap out of LAX. It flys to Vancouver and then to Beijing with the Hong Kong return for about $3,000 plus cost of ticket SDF to LAX. Timing requires overnighting in LAX each way. Other prices range from $4,000 to over $10,000 per ticket.

If this message would be better placed elsewhere, please suggest the proper forum.

Thanks.
October far better than August. Imagine Florida in the dead of summer and HK/Shanghai either same or worse in August.

Re business class flights, I am partial to Asian carriers. Would NEVER fly US carriers, esp in business class, total waste of money. Cathay Pacific Airlines (CX) should be your first choice as HK is their home base. Flights then to Shanghai should ideally be Dragon Air, on to Beijing - any of the domestic chinese carriers and then back to HK on Dragon Air.

Check cathay pacific website for deals (they serve HK from Vancover), another is cheaptickets.com.

CX partners with American so maybe you can use mileage. Other US carriers, look at their partners. Air Canada - about same class as US carriers.

PM if you need help....
Old Feb 9, 2006, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtsm
Re business class flights, I am partial to Asian carriers. Would NEVER fly US carriers, esp in business class, total waste of money. Cathay Pacific Airlines (CX) should be your first choice as HK is their home base. Flights then to Shanghai should ideally be Dragon Air, on to Beijing - any of the domestic chinese carriers and then back to HK on Dragon Air.

Check cathay pacific website for deals (they serve HK from Vancover), another is cheaptickets.com.

CX partners with American so maybe you can use mileage. Other US carriers, look at their partners. Air Canada - about same class as US carriers.
Thanks for your observations. You are likely right about Air Canada but its price was at least $800 less than its Asian competitors and it flys nonstop to Beijing and back from Hong Kong to Vancouver. To get the good price you start and finish in LAX. Since this is a personal trip and I am paying for two tickets, I'll likely go with Air Canada.

Interestingly, the cheap Air Canada ticket (Class C over, CX back) is refundable! If a better deal comes available, I'll grab it. I am also watching the FF opportunities. So far the best offers I have had require over night stays or long layovers etc. Since they require 120,000 miles for the most part which I value for international travel at at least 2 cent, the value of the saved miles is $2,400. Then I will earn US Air miles although I am not sure how many. The minimum is 12,689 and that is without any Business Class bonus or status bonus (doubt my US Air Gold will get me a status bonus).

All things considered, using miles is marginal, particular if it means accepting inconvenient timing and flights. From other comments I've seen and looking at Seat Guru, Air Canada business class seems a lot better than coach on a q
12 hour flight.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mshaikun
it flys nonstop to Beijing and back from Hong Kong to Vancouver. .
from hkg, you will get a much nicer plane my eariler comment about the nasty 763s only half applies to you.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Of the US carriers, Continental offer a very good business class product to Beijing and Hong Kong. 2-2-2 seating in their 777 with a 176-degree seat. While not flat, most people think it's better than most business class products, including some Asian airlines'.

Flying through EWR (Newark) doesn't add much time on the outbound to China, and only a little coming back.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by moondog
from hkg, you will get a much nicer plane my eariler comment about the nasty 763s only half applies to you.
I gotta agree about the nasty comment, at least when it comes to coach. ExecutiveFirst looks good though.

In coach I have done JAL, UA, NW, and AC to Shanghai. Of those I would pick UA or AC mainly because they are non-stop. With JAL or NW you'll have to connect in Narita or Kansai. Connecting in Hong Kong would add even more time.

I'm looking forward to CO adding Shanghai from EWR, even though their coach seats suck: it will knock off about 4 hours off the journey for me. They fly to Beijing and Honk Kong right now.

I totally agree with the others that October would be better than August.

Last edited by canuck_in_pa; Feb 9, 2006 at 7:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.