Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying liquor in China?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2006, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Buying liquor in China?

Planning on being there for a few weeks, thought it would be nice to have some wine and/or bottle of scotch for in room consumption.

Are there liquor stores scattered about? State run stores? Can you get Western brands of scotch, western wine?

Is the situation different in Hong Kong?

How are prices?
Old Feb 11, 2006, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Bring you own, or buy it in Hong Kong....

There are a lot of fake wines/liquors in China... even at some top Western hotel shops.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Too much other stuff to carry to bring any with ...

So, is there such a thing as a "Liquor Store" or do you have to hunt down some state owned enterprise?
Old Feb 11, 2006, 1:20 pm

Programs: EBG (*G), QR Gold
I was in central beijing (dong cheng district) late last year, in the supermarket in the mall at oriental plaza (same complex as the grand hyatt), they had a wide selection. Wine seemed a little pricey, can't really recall the price of other things.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
It's freely available from what I recall. Certainly the supermarket near the silk market sold it, as did the one in the Holiday Inn Lido complex. However wine in both Hong Kong and China is pretty expensive... you may be a bit when you see the prices for even poor stuff. There is some local wine produced (Great Wall?) which is emmm interesting. But cheaper than the imports.

Similarly in Hong Kong - freely available in the supermarkets. I did used to find Marks and Spencer (the UK department store chain) had the best range of imported wine - there are stores on Hong Kong Island (I think Central, but could be wrong on the exact district) and Sha Tin (in the mall next to the KCR station) with food halls.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all - sounds like if I can carry anything, it should be a nice bottle of wine, and get anything else like scotch at the supermarket (seems odd, buying scotch at a supermarket!)

Is this just a US thing to have liquor stores???
Old Feb 11, 2006, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by TrinaLC
Is this just a US thing to have liquor stores???
It's not even all of the US. You can buy your whiskey at the supermarket in California.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 6:38 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Reminds me of Thailand a few weeks ago. Food and drink were so cheap -- except for imported wine. (The local wine was, as someone above described Chinese wine, interesting).
Old Feb 12, 2006, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by af250xxl

There are a lot of fake wines/liquors in China... even at some top Western hotel shops.
yeah, fake booze is a real pita. fortunately: 1) it's not that hard to find genuine merchandise; and 2) the prices are cheap enough to justify throwing away a bottle or two, if need be.

regarding prices, imported wines can be a little pricey (i.e. you'll pay a premium for really bad champagne), but spirits are (sometimes much) cheaper than in other parts of the world. you can buy a .75 of stoli almost anywhere in bj or sh for around $9; if it freezes too easily, cast it aside. also, if you have time, carrefour is a pretty good place to buy all types of western food products at good prices and reliable quality.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 10:33 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by af250xxl

Liqour companies are now adding specific DNA content to their liqours to identify the fakes... Seems like nothing is immune to being counterfeited these days...even Chinese Baijiu is a target.

The State Administration for Industry and Commerce warned consumers that
much of the alcohol sold in so-called gift re-sale shops - places where
people can sell or trade gifts received during the Spring Festival
holiday - could be fake.
In mid-2004, at least 11 people died and another
56 were poisoned from fake baijiu made from diluting and blending
industrial-use alcohol.
The counterfeit spirits have also turned up in bars in higher-end
hotels, where bartenders wait until the customer is intoxicated, then
switch to using the fake alcohol
Old Feb 12, 2006, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Observations from Shanghai:

There's plenty of liquor in the big grocery store near my in-law's house. Most if it is Chinese brands but there are also western ones.

Being a non-drinker married to an extremely light drinker I can't comment on the prices nor do I have any idea if it's authentic or not.

I do know we have once been asked to bring US liquor with us for someone in China. Whether it was a matter of price, availability or counterfeiting I have no idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.