Wiki Posts
Search

What is my wife eating???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2016, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What is my wife eating???

She has a bag of fruit I've never seen before. She can only translate it as "Yellow Girl". Had I not seen her peel a papery skin off it I would have thought it was an odd-colored grape.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 1:10 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
She has a bag of fruit I've never seen before. She can only translate it as "Yellow Girl". Had I not seen her peel a papery skin off it I would have thought it was an odd-colored grape.
Cape Gooseberry?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physalis_peruviana
Attached Images  
Old Nov 13, 2016, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
Yes, that's it. I wonder why her family only knows it as "Yellow Girl".

Thanks.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 4:25 am

No doubt because that's the character-for-character translation of the fruit's common Chinese name, 黃姑娘 huang guniang.

According to one site, it does have other names, such as 毛酸漿 mao suanjiang ("hairy winter cherry"), 天泡子 tian paozi ("heavenly bulb"), and 燈籠果 denglong guo ("lantern fruit").

http://www.twword.com/wiki/%E9%BB%83%E5%A7%91%E5%A8%98
Old Nov 13, 2016, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 889
No doubt because that's the character-for-character translation of the fruit's common Chinese name, 黃姑娘 huang guniang.

According to one site, it does have other names, such as 毛酸漿 mao suanjiang ("hairy winter cherry"), 天泡子 tian paozi ("heavenly bulb"), and 燈籠果 denglong guo ("lantern fruit").

http://www.twword.com/wiki/%E9%BB%83%E5%A7%91%E5%A8%98
Apparently Google is even in on it. I put "Cape Gooseberry" into Google translate and she denies the result is what she was eating, but the picture upthread is a perfect match.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 5:11 pm

Google Translate calls it the 燈籠果 denglong guo, as above. It doesn't seem to recognize the other terms.

In English, the fruit's apparently also known as the husk cherry and the ground cherry.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 11:02 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Looks a lot like a Chinese lantern..with paper cut shell.

Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Ah, one of my favorite memories of China was figuring out the fruit I was eating. And also figuring out how to eat it.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Looks a lot like a Chinese lantern..with paper cut shell.

That is exactly what it is when dried out

Back to the translation, there are so many regional variations for food names (I can think of at least 5 names for a potato off the top of my head; just last week I got totally confused by a Shanghai lady's conversation about broccoli). I find Google Images a much better "translation" tool than Google Translate for such matters.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I'm curious how long this fruit has been known in China as it is a South American transplant. Are tomatillos (related plant) popular or known?
Old Nov 16, 2016, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Meanwhile, I'm searching for what my Chinese hosts called "Chinese dates". They were small and a mottled green/brown color. Crunchy and tasted sort of like an apple. Are they available in the States?
Old Nov 16, 2016, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milepig
Meanwhile, I'm searching for what my Chinese hosts called "Chinese dates". They were small and a mottled green/brown color. Crunchy and tasted sort of like an apple. Are they available in the States?
It'd look like it's what is called a jujube (which I thought were some sort of gummy candy). Not only available in the U.S. but grown in California. Not sure about quality though (e.g., U.S.-grown pomelos are pretty horrible compared to the Chinese imports I usually buy).
Old Nov 16, 2016, 6:47 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I'm curious how long this fruit has been known in China as it is a South American transplant. Are tomatillos (related plant) popular or known?
Never seen a tomatillo in China, not even in a supermarket with imported foods.

SQ has served me Cape Gooseberries as part of the breakfast fruit plate in F out of SIN and PVG before. They are not that uncommon and I can get them at a local produce market I go to in Shanghai. Until now I thought they originated in Southern China or northern Southeast Asia!
Old Nov 16, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uanj
Until now I thought they originated in Southern China or northern Southeast Asia!
So maybe ts been available for quite a while? Cape Gooseberries have seen popularity for over a decade as dessert garnishes.

As aside (but still on the gooseberry topic), I wonder how many people know the "Kiwi fruit" originates as a Chinese fruit (the Chinese Gooseberry)?
Old Nov 19, 2016, 5:07 am

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
Yes NZ changed the name of the fruit in the 1970s to Kiwi Fruit, I grew up knowing them as chinese gooseberries.

The yellow girls are sold in the UK sometimes as Physalis

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.