Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Hotel lacks registration to accept Americans (updated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel lacks registration to accept Americans (updated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2016, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
This issue crops up every once in a while, and many people (not least the hotels themselves) will insist that there is some special license needed to accept foreigners. This is simply not the case, and hasn't been for at least the last ten years or so. Any hotel that can legally accept PRC citizen guests can also legally accept foreigners.

The real issue is that the hotel staff does not know how to use the computer to register foreigners, and unless you know how, you're unlikely to get anywhere. There is an excellent guide, complete with screenshots, here. It's from a few years ago, but more or less correct.

I have yet to fail when running into this problem, including in some of the most generally obnoxious places (Henan, I'm looking at you). The basic strategy is:

1. Politely tell them they are incorrect, that all hotels are able to accept foreigners, and that they should look for the right options in the computer.
2. Offer to help show them how to use their computer to register a foreigner (the guide I linked is useful here). Usually this is sufficient.
3. If #1 and #2 fail, call the PSB. They will confirm there is no such law—my favourite case was in a tiny town in Gansu, where someone from the PSB came out to the hotel and yelled at them on my behalf.

Usually, the path of least resistance is to just find another hotel, but in some places, this isn't an option, in which case the fight is worth it. Obviously, all of this requires solid Mandarin skills—but you probably do if you find yourself running into this situation.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 9:29 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Marian may not know where she is, how she got there, or how her current location relates to where she wants to be, but she never ever gets lost.

Lost Laowai...
the definitive guide to getting a room in the middle of nowhere in China.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by 889
Of course, that's what we all try. But a "gratuity" it's not.

Now if you have all that stature, exude trust and are smartly kitted out, the question is, why are you trying to talk yourself into a 100RMB two-star when the 200RMB three-star across the street will take you in a flash?
Old Jul 31, 2016, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Exactly! I find myself in the OP's situation around once per year. Any hotel CAN do PSB registration for foreigners, but getting set up requires a nominal amount of cap ex (i.e. buy a scanner), and --more importantly-- hiring/training staff to perform the routine. My current hotel of choice in Nanning is equipped to register foreign guests, but since they only receive 2 or 3 foreign guests/month, the registration process never fails to bedazzle the check-in people.

@OP: Instead of arguing for 3 hours, you should have advised the aunt to find a different hotel as soon as she was aware of this issue. This is a "square peg, round hole" thing, and fighting it is completely pointless.
I've had multiple problems with internet cafes in Shanghai. The clerks always know they're supposed to scan my passport--but now and then I get one that can't figure out how to actually do it.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by 889

Now if you have all that stature, exude trust and are smartly kitted out, the question is, why are you trying to talk yourself into a 100RMB two-star when the 200RMB three-star across the street will take you in a flash?
That's a great question. Often times the dynamics of the situation require a compromise .
Old Jul 31, 2016, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scifience
This issue crops up every once in a while, and many people (not least the hotels themselves) will insist that there is some special license needed to accept foreigners. This is simply not the case, and hasn't been for at least the last ten years or so. Any hotel that can legally accept PRC citizen guests can also legally accept foreigners.

The real issue is that the hotel staff does not know how to use the computer to register foreigners, and unless you know how, you're unlikely to get anywhere. There is an excellent guide, complete with screenshots, here. It's from a few years ago, but more or less correct.

I have yet to fail when running into this problem, including in some of the most generally obnoxious places (Henan, I'm looking at you). The basic strategy is:

1. Politely tell them they are incorrect, that all hotels are able to accept foreigners, and that they should look for the right options in the computer.
2. Offer to help show them how to use their computer to register a foreigner (the guide I linked is useful here). Usually this is sufficient.
3. If #1 and #2 fail, call the PSB. They will confirm there is no such law—my favourite case was in a tiny town in Gansu, where someone from the PSB came out to the hotel and yelled at them on my behalf.

Usually, the path of least resistance is to just find another hotel, but in some places, this isn't an option, in which case the fight is worth it. Obviously, all of this requires solid Mandarin skills—but you probably do if you find yourself running into this situation.
Thank you--it's been a while since we have been in the situation and back then so long as they got a Chinese ID they were willing to turn a blind eye to the rest of the party not having them. I stayed out of sight anyway (I'm not allowed nearby if negotiation is expected) until things were settled and until IDs come out they'll think she's from Shanghai.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Thank you--it's been a while since we have been in the situation and back then so long as they got a Chinese ID they were willing to turn a blind eye to the rest of the party not having them. I stayed out of sight anyway (I'm not allowed nearby if negotiation is expected) until things were settled and until IDs come out they'll think she's from Shanghai.
FWIW, this still often works—but you have to know that anyone without a 身份证 needs to stay out of the way until after registration. In my experience, most front desk staff at the type of places where this is an issue are happy to turn a blind eye to pretty much anything if you make even the slightest effort to keep it "hidden."
Old Jul 31, 2016, 10:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 889

I was thinking that 500 might be the floor on a "tip" that prompts action, but even if 100 is sufficient, it would be better to spend the difference in order to stay at a hotel that accepts foreign guests outright. If you're in the middle of nowhere, and there is only one hotel in town, I understand the utility of the tipping approach, but the OP is talking about Hangzhou, which has many hotels on offer. The OP's frustration should be directed towards the aunt instead of the system. I am guessing that he provided enough funds to support a true hotel, but the aunt decided to go with a 招待所 in order to keep costs down. That's okay, in principle, but the three hour argument was just plain stupid.

Last edited by moondog; Jul 31, 2016 at 10:55 pm
Old Jul 31, 2016, 10:30 pm

FWIW, this still often works—but you have to know that anyone without a 身份证 needs to stay out of the way until after registration. In my experience, most front desk staff at the type of places where this is an issue are happy to turn a blind eye to pretty much anything if you make even the slightest effort to keep it "hidden."
In 2016 you still have to play "hide the foreigner"?
Sure 20 plus years ago I had to go to certain places under the cover of darkness. But now that is ridiculous.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
In 2016 you still have to play "hide the foreigner"?
Sure 20 plus years ago I had to go to certain places under the cover of darkness. But now that is ridiculous.
In some places, this unfortunately remains the path of least resistance, even in 2016.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 10:39 pm

[QUOTE=Scifience;26996418]FWIW, this still double post
Old Jul 31, 2016, 10:45 pm

The notion that this problem arises at just 招待所 and the like is wrong. There are plenty of three-star chain hotels which won't accept foreigners, including some right in Hangzhou.

Here, for example, is the Jinjiang Inn Select on Yan'an Road Commercial Street in Hangzhou, where rates range from 288RMB to 388RMB; note the notation "是否接待外宾:否" "Accepts Foreigners or Not: Does Not."

http://hotel.jinjiang.com/HotelDetai...ate=2016-08-20 (in Chinese)
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:14 pm

I guess when the Chinese govt limits the freedom of movement of their own people with the hukou system. They sure as hell aren't going to let foreigners park their **s wherever they please.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:53 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

It sounds like it's best to just book a hotel where other foreigners have stayed in the past and avoid the hassle.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My wife is now a US citizen, she does not have Chinese ID and has always been involved from the start. It's been some years since we have stayed at a local hotel rather than a big chain, the situation hasn't arisen since things got a lot more strict.

I do agree that it very well might work so long as they're presented with a Chinese ID. We weren't attempting to evade it back then, it was simply that her ability to negotiate is much better if she can pretend to be local.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.