Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Hotel lacks registration to accept Americans (updated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel lacks registration to accept Americans (updated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by vh_bu98
The usual answer is that the neighbors will inform the police. I've seen it happen in Vietnam where the authorities paid my dad a visit because foreigners were staying at his house.
Your dad must have really pissed off his neighbors.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
The usual answer is that the neighbors will inform the police. I've seen it happen in Vietnam where the authorities paid my dad a visit because foreigners were staying at his house.
Originally Posted by STS-134
Your dad must have really pissed off his neighbors.
In China too. Although probably a case of annoying the neighbours. Friends of mine had people over to stay and were visited by the authorities for non-registration.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:33 am

It's not just a case of annoying neighbours, just people have this mentality to check on the people next door. Also, these "security" guys at the entrance of compounds do not seem to be doing much but it is also part of their job to keep an eye on unusual activities.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JPDM
It's not just a case of annoying neighbours, just people have this mentality to check on the people next door. Also, these "security" guys at the entrance of compounds do not seem to be doing much but it is also part of their job to keep an eye on unusual activities.
Yeah but if they aren't pissed at you, they'll talk to you directly instead of just ratting you out. It's like how I don't rat out my neighbors if, once in a blue moon, they park their car on the street and don't move it for longer than 72 hours; there's plenty of parking, and it doesn't impact me. But if they pissed someone off, then that person might start a 72 hour timer and call the city as soon as hour number 73 starts.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JPDM
I dare say that you are GREATLY overstating risk here. This applies both to tier 1 (and some tier 2) cities, in which foreigners go unnoticed, as well as lower tier 2 and down. In the latter case, foreigners most definitely stand out, and neighbors do tend to gossip, but the thought of the police, let alone 保安. knowing or caring about the foreigner registration requirement makes me chuckle.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:05 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

When I was visiting my girlfriend in Vietnam a few years ago, she told me to be quiet and inconspicuous when staying with her because someone could report her. My current girlfriend in China didn't care because she has connections in the police department.

Point being is when you're in a communist country, expect people to be watching.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:08 pm

When I was visiting my girlfriend in Vietnam a few years ago, she told me to be quiet and inconspicuous when staying with her because someone could report her. My current girlfriend in China didn't care because she has connections in the police department.

Point being is when you're in a communist country, expect people to be watching.
With all due respect, your logic in the instant case is SERIOUSLY flawed. You would need to iterate on it ~10 times in order to even get to the "communism = communism" equivocation rebuttal.

Here's the way I read your current argument:

P1: VN and CN are "Communist" countries
P2: GF #1 is from VN
P2: GF #2 is from CN
P3: If GF #1 had not protected me, I would have been booted from VN
P4: If GF #2 had not protected me, I would have been booted from CN

C: Others would be "watched"
The ability to demonstrate proof in support of P3 and/or P4 would go a long way towards advancing your case.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
With all due respect, your logic in the instant case is SERIOUSLY flawed. You would need to iterate on it ~10 times in order to even get to the "communism = communism" equivocation rebuttal.

Here's the way I read your current argument:

The ability to demonstrate proof in support of P3 and/or P4 would go a long way towards advancing your case.
I seriously suggest that you read what was was written instead of interpreting it to try to provoke an argument. I never once mention being "booted" or infer any kind of deportation.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:39 pm

I seriously suggest that you read what was was written instead of interpreting it to try to provoke an argument. I never once mention being "booted" or infer any kind of deportation.
This? "The usual answer is that the neighbors will inform the police. I've seen it happen in Vietnam where the authorities paid my dad a visit because foreigners were staying at his house."

In the event that I missed another post that is relevant to your point, please advise, and I will assess.

The thing is, you seem to be extrapolating a VN experience in order to include CN, with ZERO support for a connection apart from the fact that the governments of both VN and CN are "Communist" (this is the "equivocation" element I mentioned up thread).
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
This? "The usual answer is that the neighbors will inform the police. I've seen it happen in Vietnam where the authorities paid my dad a visit because foreigners were staying at his house."

In the event that I missed another post that is relevant to your point, please advise, and I will assess.

The thing is, you seem to be extrapolating a VN experience in order to include CN, with ZERO support for a connection apart from the fact that the governments of both VN and CN are "Communist" (this is the "equivocation" element I mentioned up thread).
Once again, please point out where I mention anything about being "booted" or "deported". You can't because I never said such a thing.

The facts are that China and Vietnam are both communist countries and both have laws that require foreigners to go through accommodation registration at the local police station. Failure to do so is cause for the police to make a visit.

Since you're the "China Ambassador" on this site, can you tell me 100% percent that no one ever reported foreigners staying at a Chinese national residence before in all of China at any time? My girlfriend's father is a retired Chinese government prosecutor and her friend is high up in the police force. I'm sure I can ask them but I don't think you would believe me either way. Just because you have not experience it yourself doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was supposed to be inconspicuous some years ago even in Shanghai--not any issue of reporting but a matter of not revealing to the neighbors that the people in that unit had foreign relatives--thus making them a theft target.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:02 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I was supposed to be inconspicuous some years ago even in Shanghai--not any issue of reporting but a matter of not revealing to the neighbors that the people in that unit had foreign relatives--thus making them a theft target.
Had instances before when I thought in my mind, why are they trying to hide me? Obviously its rude to question it, but having no money or valuables on my person, the thought of theft wasn't considered. As always don't ask too many, if any, questions...with near certainty you aren't going to get a truthful answer.

We are hiding you because our neighbors might rob you....I don't think that meets the principles of " face".
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:17 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Mention and imply are different. Current China girlfriend has "connections in the PD" speaks for itself..."The Thin Blue Line" courtesy.^
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:49 pm

I still don't get how someone goes from a visit from to the police equals to getting deported from the country. The police will usually just give a warning or a fine.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:53 pm

I still don't get how someone goes from a visit from to the police equals to getting deported from the country. The police will usually just give a warning or a fine.
"usually" is based on what evidence? While I agree that it is not a major deal, I am not sure that you have enough data points to reach your conclusion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.