Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Airline Miles & Hotels Points/Deals/Offers for Expats & Living in China

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Best Airline Miles & Hotels Points/Deals/Offers for Expats & Living in China

I'm living in China for at least next few years. As we all know the air/hotel options needed to play the Miles & Points game (including using Visa/MC to generate points/miles) are more limited for us living in China/Asia then back in US or Europe.

So wanted to use this thread for those of us that travel frequently here or who is living here long term and therefore might be looking for more deals/promotions/offers specific to china (hotels & flights) by the major international chains (IHG, Hyatt, SPG, Hilton, Carlson....) then those that are coming to China as tourists who probably have more set travel plans.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

I guess I'll get this started. I've just started my Hyatt Diamond Trial Membership (with a paid stay in Tokyo). I've looked at other cheap Hyatt Hotels in China while I still have this status (free lounge/upgrade, extra points...) until Dec 16th.

Hyatt Regency Tianjin East (440 rmb) &
Hyatt Place Shenzhen Dongmen (479 rmb) was the cheapest by far. Leaning toward tianjin since never been there and since a full service hotel can get better use out of my trial membership (not sure yet if can get the full 12 nights) and then going to Hyatt Regency Jing Jin City Resort and Spa using 5000 points per night (664 rmb cost otherwise) and utilize their hot springs (200 rmb/pp). It's pretty far distance between the two hotels/resorts so have asked the hotel to see how much it would cost by taxi/shuttle from airport (which is pretty close to Tianjin East).

http://tianjin.regency.hyatt.com/en/...our-hotel.html
http://jingjin.regency.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:35 am

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
I think one thing to be wary of is obviously the lack of coverage from Hyatt outside of 1st tier cities.

I try and stick to C-trip and their C Money rewards. Obviously it doesn't give you any perks of upgrades or lounges but it depends on your priorities when traveling whether that is a issue.

It's not foolproof and a lot of the time any money back offers will be negated by the room costing more, but if you can persevere and be flexible then the C Cash can really add up quickly.

I think moondog will probably have a better (or different!) slant on this than me, but in general China is still a long way from embracing the reward culture that we have in the west. Everything seems to be more about the best value one off transaction for both sides rather than building up a long term, mutually beneficial relationship.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:18 am

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
Does anyone have a Phoenix Miles account with Air China?

I have halfheartedly tried to stick with them in order to accrue mileage but never seem to get anywhere. With the penalties for discount tickets and a single from Beijing to Shanghai weighing in at 12k miles I always tend to be tempted by cheaper fares with other airlines.

The tiers seem ridiculously high also, though being BAEC might skew my opinions on this. 40,000 miles are needed to move to silver. Ouch.

I also collect miles through CITIC credit card but even a yearly spend of around 120k only gets me a short hop to Dalian or similar!

Other reward Programs I am in are

Fat Burger ( 2 more stamps for a free burg!)
Maan Coffee (about 17 cards all with 1 stamp on them)
Gung Ho Pizza (11 points - can redeem for a medium Hawaiian or wait for another point to get a large)
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

1. For airline programs, see here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...-carriers.html
I generally don't play ball because doing so is a waste of time for the most part.

2. For hotels, whenever I stay at a Chinese chain that is new to me and I'm not disgusted by, I buy one of their VIP cards (typically the second best). These bind themselves to your name (so you don't have to keep extra pieces of plastic on hand) and save real money. Sometimes, they surprise me with free stuff as well.

3. I'm still trying to figure out c-money. I buy lots of stuff from ctrip, but it seems that my points rarely get credited properly, and sometimes they get pulled back when I don't show up for a room I reserved (understandable).

In general, I still think loyalty programs are cool. However, the game isn't especially interesting in China. This is a good thing because it gives otherwise inclined persons an opportunity to focus their productive energy elsewhere (i.e. it is far better to be a USD millionaire than a miles millionaire).
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:47 am

It seems everywhere will offer you some VIP card, often for free. Which explain the thickness of the wallet of some friends. I was given one without asking at a sushi shop that is part of a chain. now I get 10% off at all their locations throughout China. There is a lot of this. Plus, group buying is a big thing.All these certainly prove more valuable than any airline program that I have been a member of.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:00 am
Original Poster

I'm mainly sticking with the international hotel/airline programs since my Mandarin is still very limited and I think the offers are not as good. With Hyatt I think many of the hotels in China(like the Hyatt Regency Jing Jin City Resort and Spa) does not have their Regency Club open wonder if can get the extra 2500 hhonor points from them or Hyatt? I would assume I can since it is probably a worldwide policy if the club is closed.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by moondog
1. For airline programs, see here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...-carriers.html
I generally don't play ball because doing so is a waste of time for the most part.

2. For hotels, whenever I stay at a Chinese chain that is new to me and I'm not disgusted by, I buy one of their VIP cards (typically the second best). These bind themselves to your name (so you don't have to keep extra pieces of plastic on hand) and save real money. Sometimes, they surprise me with free stuff as well.

3. I'm still trying to figure out c-money. I buy lots of stuff from ctrip, but it seems that my points rarely get credited properly, and sometimes they get pulled back when I don't show up for a room I reserved (understandable).

In general, I still think loyalty programs are cool. However, the game isn't especially interesting in China. This is a good thing because it gives otherwise inclined persons an opportunity to focus their productive energy elsewhere (i.e. it is far better to be a USD millionaire than a miles millionaire).
I agree with every one of these points. In addition on point 2, I have had some luck finding decent independent Chinese hotels (say in the Chinese 4* range) that offer VIP cards with meaningful savings on room rates and other goodies. Might be worth looking into for cities where one makes multiple visits and doesn't have a workable intl nameplate option.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:00 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by moondog
Yep.

Also, it seems as long as a restaurant/hotel has more than one outlet, they have a "loyalty card." on offer.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 3:13 am

My solution is to buy miles when there is a good deal....
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
For anyone's reference, I did join Air China's Phoenix miles program a while back but with Shenzhen Airlines now in Star it only leaves one significant member of the Air China family, Shandong Airlines, solely with Phoenix.

I consistently had trouble getting credit for Shandong flights, and then never getting credit in the right class if I bought first. Phooenix is supposed to be a decent program in China, but it was just a hassle and I now credit all flights back to SQ or UA. And with no problem.

For me, priority check in and lounge access are the big ones, and I have already got that through DL and UA for the most part. The best fares in China today do not even earn miles so I just don't bother with any domestic programs any more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.