Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which hotel in Beijing?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Which hotel in Beijing?

Could someone please recommend a hotel (preferably a Holiday Inn / Hilton / Marriott group hotel) which is easily accessible by public transport (subway?) from both the airport and the Forbidden City area?

I am really looking for a value-for-money hotel and am not on an expense account
Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:05 am

Programs: BA, VS, SU
Peking

They still keep the airport code PEK, too. I'd have thought it would have been changed by now
Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...9-onwards.html

There's also a fairly monstrous thread in the Marriott forum on Beijing hotels, and a few other smaller hotel threads here.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:34 am

As you already know which ones you may want to stay at, just check their websites for their current prices.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by JPDM
As you already know which ones you may want to stay at, just check their websites for their current prices.
Actually, based on his stated preferences, I don't think either of his brand choices will be of much use, so he probably has a bit more research ahead of him apart from checking prices on websites. Hopefully, he'll read through that main hotel thread and throw out some ideas that we can fine tune.

I'll offer up the Emperor right now. It's a very cool hotel that overlooks the Forbidden City and isn't expensive. Its main drawback, however, is the lack of elevators (i.e. need to climb stairs to get to the nice rooftop bar, as well as most guestrooms).
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Thanks for the pointers - I will go through those threads on the weekend. However, being enslaved to the miles / points etc., those chain hotels appear attractive, prima facie.

Originally Posted by joe19924
Peking

They still keep the airport code PEK, too. I'd have thought it would have been changed by now
In the relative anonymity of FT, I think I can refuse to kow tow to the imparted wisdom, or can I not? Besides, what is wrong with Bombay, Calcutta & Leningrad?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by KopiKosong
In the relative anonymity of FT, I think I can refuse to kow tow to the imparted wisdom, or can I not? Besides, what is wrong with Bombay, Calcutta & Leningrad?
Why the two user names? Don't you know that this against FT terms of service?

I don't have a big problem with the "Peking" thing apart from the fact that most people who try to impress others with this tidbit don't have a clue about history.

In brief, Mandarin IS the common language throughout the country, and there is no dispute about this (go to Wulumuqi and turn on a TV if you don't believe me).

The practice of naming cities based on transliterations of their Cantonese names began during the opium wars, and was well documented in maps during that era. This is because 广东 was the base of operations for the British (and East India Company).

But, after the PRC got rolling in 1949, it decided that calling its capital by its spoken name would be more appropriate. The proper transliteration for 北京 in Mandarin is "Beijing".

This isn't some sort of strange political stunt; it's actually what everyone (regardless of native dialect) uses.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:49 pm

Programs: BA, VS, SU
Originally Posted by KopiKosong
Nothing. It was light hearted humour. However, it is not called Peking (any more) and that is the fact we're dealing with.

Call it Peking and expect people to raise an eyebrow in 2014.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by joe19924
Call it Peking and expect people to raise an eyebrow in 2014.
...unless you are a native Cantonese speaker.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which hotel in Peking?

I'd recommend the Marriott by the Beijing Train Station. I think it's called Marriott city wall or something like that. Close to the forbidden city and close to subway lines 1 and 2. If you're a walker it is an easy trek to Tiananmen and the Forbidden City from this hotel and usually they have decent rates.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I'd recommend the Marriott by the Beijing Train Station. I think it's called Marriott city wall or something like that. Close to the forbidden city and close to subway lines 1 and 2. If you're a walker it is an easy trek to Tiananmen and the Forbidden City from this hotel and usually they have decent rates.
I don't like that place at all.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:42 pm

We stayed at Marriott city wall and liked it very much, especially since we could walk to some areas we wanted to visit, upgraded to huge room, great breakfast, pool and pleasant people
Subway was short walk, liked the idea of being able to see part of the old city wall
Maybe others with more experience might recommend other hotels but we were quite happy with city wall

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.