Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Maglev PVG station to PVG - 33 min walk?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2014, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum

That's what Google Map says, though it is giving a circular direction, which looks odd.

Is the walk really that long?
Old Jul 13, 2014, 3:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by italdesign
That's what Google Map says, though it is giving a circular direction, which looks odd.

Showing us the map in question would be useful, but the Maglev station is ~400 meters from both terminals, so you're looking at a 10 minute walk. (This variable is often overlooked in Maglev v. taxi threads here.)
Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Quote:

Showing us the map in question would be useful, but the Maglev station is ~400 meters from both terminals, so you're looking at a 10 minute walk. (This variable is often overlooked in Maglev v. taxi threads here.)
Are you walking with lead boots on?
Old Jul 13, 2014, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Are you walking with lead boots on?
It's 400 meters to the terminals themselves, plus an average of 100 meters to get to the proper check-in area for your airline. In light of the fact that you are a runner, I don't doubt that you can/do crush the 10 minute mark, but many people here travel with heavy bags so the oj sprint doesn't apply.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

No - as others have said - it's about 10 minutes from Maglev to check-in. There are automated walkways for most of the journey.

Looks like google mpas has gone for the car route and converted it to walking time.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 7:42 pm

Very short walk, you are already sort of "in the building" although you are actually between the 2 terminals.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by JPDM
Very short walk, you are already sort of "in the building" although you are actually between the 2 terminals.
Yes, 400 meters from each. Add the time that it takes to walk 400 meters to the average wait time for a Maglev train, and you'll see why taxis are almost always the fastest option.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ta-thread.html
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, 400 meters from each. Add the time that it takes to walk 400 meters to the average wait time for a Maglev train, and you'll see why taxis are almost always the fastest option.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ta-thread.html
might be the fastest option - but get a rogue driver and it can be very expensive.

Maglev is every 15 mins until 1900 and 20 mins thereafter. Not usually too bad to wait.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
might be the fastest option - but get a rogue driver and it can be very expensive.

Maglev is every 15 mins until 1900 and 20 mins thereafter. Not usually too bad to wait.
Add 7.5/10 minutes plus the 10 minute walk, and the taxi already has 17.5+ minutes in its favor.

If you are like me, you would school a rogue driver in short order.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Trusting Google Map on China is your first mistake. Ignoring common sense is...
Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Add 7.5/10 minutes plus the 10 minute walk, and the taxi already has 17.5+ minutes in its favor.

Rogue drivers usually aren't a risk in Shanghai and if you do get anyone who takes you anywhere in the city center and wants over 200 RMB just hand them 200 and walk away (unless it's after 11pm when the fares go up or you've been stuck in mind boggling traffic). My usual fare from Pudong to Jing'an is between 170 and 180 RMB.

Even with the "long" walk to the station and the wait for the train, the Maglev to subway route to Jing'an Station is usually faster than a taxi. It's also cheaper by a long shot and you don't take your life into your hands by getting in a cab with a driver who's been driving for 12 hours straight and falling asleep at the wheel.

The walk to the taxi stand at Pudong is about halfway between the exit from customs and the maglev station time wise and sometimes you have a wait for a taxi that can be 10 minutes plus. Therefore I think the wait evens out. I'll do some tests on my next few runs back from Pudong and post results here.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I'll do some tests on my next few runs back from Pudong and post results here.
Post to the data thread instead, and I'll add your results to our spreadsheet. Your Maglev/subway combo (especially Line 7) generally doesn't hold a candle to the taxi (or #2 bus) based on previous data points, but I look forward to you showing us otherwise.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't speak Chinese. So while I agree rogue drivers are fairly rare, if I get one there is nothing much I can do about it. (And the bad ones seem to crop up ex airport and ex Longyang Lu)
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I don't speak Chinese. So while I agree rogue drivers are fairly rare, if I get one there is nothing much I can do about it. (And the bad ones seem to crop up ex airport and ex Longyang Lu)
You can use my 200 RMB rule. If you feel ripped off, just give them 200 and walk off or explain to the doorman at your hotel what's going on and he'll get involved on your behalf.

Ex airport just avoid the maroon and red color taxis. If you're in line and they point you to one of them, let someone go ahead of you. Blue, White, light blue, green and Expo taxis are all OK.

Ex Longyang, well....you're asking for it taking a taxi from there That's what the subway is for!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.