Wiki Posts
Search

the Shanghai ground transportation data thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2010, 5:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

the Shanghai ground transportation data thread

Several weeks ago, prompted by the Maglev utility debate, I proposed that we create a thread to compare real experiences getting to/from PVG. I just arrived in Shanghai this evening and am pleased to kick things off. Going forward, I see no reason to limit the scope to PVG because there are lots of clever ways to beat Shanghai traffic and/or overcome taxi droughts (e.g. Bund Tourist Tunnel).

Here is a spreadsheet containing data current through today. Thanks for hosting it, mnredfox.

Summary of results:

Taxi: 46 minutes; average fare y156
Maglev + taxi: 55 minutes; average fare y70 (Andrew didn't actually report costs so this is an educated guess
Maglev + subway: 73 minutes; average fare y45
Subway: 90 minutes; average fare y7

Notes about the methodology:

-I used baggage claim or "cleared customs" as the start times. In a few cases, people didn't report this so I added 2 minutes to "left airplane", a bit aggressive perhaps, but I'm pretty sure those were domestic arrivals
-I used trips from the airport only because: 1) we don't have much data in the other direction; and 2) to/from aren't directly comparable
-different destinations are obviously different distances from the airport, but I'm not so concerned about this because we have a very nice balance of close and far places; furthermore, Andrew's best Jing'an time is better than Sniles' best Lujiazui time, and even "i'm lovin' it's" Gubei times are pretty competitive
-Some of the taxi data points are from low traffic times, which might lead people to question their accuracy; on the other hand, the rush hour taxis also performed admirably

I wish one of you guys would try out my favorite bus some time (I rarely fly to PVG these days) so we can see how it stacks up. My prediction is that bus + taxi will come in behind the taxi, but ahead of Maglev + taxi.

I must admit that I'm impressed by the overall performance of the taxis. I had no idea they would emerge as such a clear winner when I started this thread.
March 4, 2015 addition: Where to find the #2 bus when going to PVG.

-the beige building on the left side of the picture is 久光.
-just walk into the structure, as shown, and you'll see the buses 25 meters ahead

Last edited by moondog; Mar 4, 2015 at 4:52 am
Old Aug 17, 2010, 6:23 am
Original Poster

5p week day: PVG to north part of Jing'an District

I had 12 hours to think about how I was going to attack this beast. Based upon my fears about rush hour traffic and the possibility that I'd arrive at Jing'an Station, only to search in vein for taxis, I decided to pursue the Maglev to Line 7 approach, which would put me within 2 blocks of my destination.

Here's the rundown:

4:54p: touch down
5:01p: leave the plane
5:10p: clear border control
5:15p: grab bag (third off the belt!)
5:29p: board Maglev
5:32p: Maglev departs from PVG Station
5:40p: Maglev arrives at Longyang Road (side note: even though this was a prime time train during Expo, top speed was only 301 kph... but, journey was a mere minute longer than the 440 kph trains)
5:55p: board Line 7 train
6:28p: disembark at Changping Road Station
6:54p: arrive at destination

Notes:
-I didn't have to lug my bags up/down stairs at any point; apparently, all stations have elevators now, but finding them probably cost me 10 minutes
-assuming we use 5:25 pm as my airport departure time (on bus or taxi), it appears that I made the wrong choice
-much of the blame is due to the fact that Line 7 takes 30 minutes to get between Longyang Road and Jing'an Temple, whereas Line 2 does the same in ~20 minutes
-but, if I wanted to go Jing'an Temple, I would have been better off on the bus (presumably)
-transferring from Line 2 to Line 7 is unpleasant
-I suppose I should be proud of the fact that I made it all the way to Longyang Road within 46 minutes of touchdown, but much of this is due to the fact that my Maglev train departed 3 minutes after I boarded it (average wait is 10 minutes)
-while I could have jumped in a taxi at Longyang Road, I doubt this would have helped me in the end
-If I had to do it again, I'd probably opt for the straight taxi option (in this situation; for later arrivals, the calculus is different)

Last edited by moondog; Aug 17, 2010 at 10:07 pm
Old Aug 17, 2010, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
moondog, great idea. I totally forgot to time my experience exactly last week down to the minute, but the times are pretty close from my recollection:

Pudong to Jing-An
1505 Taxi from Jing-An District to Maglev (I didn't think I would make it)
1530 Maglev departs LongYang
1537 Arrive Pudong
1545 Get to check-in counters T1
1605 Clear customs and security (international flight)
1635 Board plane

Pudong to Jing-An
1942 Touchdown Pudong
1950 Get off plane, run to customs
1955 Clear customs/immigration (no bags checked)
2015 Catch Maglev (missed the 2000 maglev by 2 min)
2028 Arrive Longyang (was delayed about 5 min at PVG)
2033 Catch cab
2058 Arrive in Jing-An District (actually near Chang Ping) - I walked into my apt a few min past 9pm

While you don't like the Line 2 to 7 transfer, I think taking Line 2 then switching at Jing-An is faster to get to Chang Ping. Agree? However, I'm impressed line 7 from Chang Ping to Long Yang is only 33 min, that's fast...
Old Aug 17, 2010, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnredfox
While you don't like the Line 2 to 7 transfer, I think taking Line 2 then switching at Jing-An is faster to get to Chang Ping. Agree? However, I'm impressed line 7 from Chang Ping to Long Yang is only 33 min, that's fast...
The transfer entails a ~500 meter walk... not a big deal in and of itself, but when you've already walked 500 m to the Maglev itself, and 200 m to get from the Maglev to the subway, minimizing this sort of pain becomes a consideration. I might change my tune during times when the weather wasn't hot, smoggy, and moist.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:13 pm

PVG-Lujiazui (SWFC)

PVG to Lujiazui (SWFC)

10.24 Touchdown PVG
10.32 Disembark, walk to immigration (T1)
10.38 Clear immigration (T1 - no line)
10.53 Pick up luggage, clear customs (T1)
10.56 Get in Taxi (T1 taxi line - no line)
11.32 Arrive Lujiazui (SWFC) - 142 RMB, 40.3 km, route: A1-A20-Luoshan rd.-Century av.)
Old Aug 19, 2010, 5:28 am
Original Poster

taxi dead zone warning

Weihai Rd @ Yan'an Rd: 330p

25 minute wait and lots of competition.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by moondog
The transfer entails a ~500 meter walk... not a big deal in and of itself, but when you've already walked 500 m to the Maglev itself, and 200 m to get from the Maglev to the subway, minimizing this sort of pain becomes a consideration. I might change my tune during times when the weather wasn't hot, smoggy, and moist.
Hey I agree. I have an option of doing the Line 2 to 7 every day, and debate it daily...
Old Aug 23, 2010, 7:31 am

Programs: UA Plat
PVG to Tianzifang area

632 Land
638 Clear immigration
640 Clear customs
648 Metro Line 2 PVG
748 Metro Line 9 Century Ave
805 Metro Line 9 Dapuqiao
810 Arrive at destination after 5 min walk

Cost = 7 RMB for Metro ride

Tianzifang area to PVG

1947 Take taxi (Taikang lu, Sinan Lu)
2025 Arrive PVG Terminal 2
2035 Clear immigration

Cost = 155 RMB Cab ride
Old Sep 23, 2010, 9:20 am

PVG-->Marriott Hongqiao

(Thurs-Sep 22--Public Holiday)

1:45p: touch down
2:00p: leave the plane
2:05p: clear border control
2:15p: grab bag (third off the belt!)
2:20p: board taxi (people getting selected for xrays at customs caused a backup)
3:05p: Arrive Marriott Hongqiao

This is my first stay at this Marriott, so I'm not sure if we took the most direct route (Lupu Bridge & Elevated Roads vs Outer Ring Road). Had a fairly aggressive taxi driver (which I don't mind) and didn't hit traffic until the elevated roads. 189RMB for the taxi

**Follow-up on return trip
Just for comparison's sake, I've added the info for my return trip from the Marriott Hongqiao to PVG. The taxi driver took the Middle Ring Road route. It took 40 minutes and came out to 183RMB. It was a public holiday, so there was absolutely no traffic.

Last edited by i'mlovin'it; Oct 3, 2010 at 3:56 am Reason: add data about return trip
Old Sep 24, 2010, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by i'mlovin'it

2:20p: board taxi (people getting selected for xrays at customs caused a backup)

This is my first stay at this Marriott, so I'm not sure if we took the most direct route (Lupu Bridge & Elevated Roads vs Outer Ring Road). Had a fairly aggressive taxi driver (which I don't mind) and didn't hit traffic until the elevated roads. 189RMB for the taxi
1:05 from airplane to hotel in Gubei is very impressive.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by i'mlovin'it

Lupu bridge? That is indeed an unusual route and I'm surprised he did it in 45 minutes and 189RMB.

The Middle Ring would seem more logical (except for those pesky speed cameras).
Old Sep 25, 2010, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by tauphi
Lupu bridge? That is indeed an unusual route and I'm surprised he did it in 45 minutes and 189RMB.

The Middle Ring would seem more logical (except for those pesky speed cameras).
That's what I thought. We recently moved offices out near Hongqiao and the folks here said it was only about 45min to PVG because you avoided the city. I thought it was kind of odd that we were on the same path to go downtown (where our old office was).

I was following along with a map, just because I was trying to familiarize myself with the new route. I'll chalk it up to it being a public holiday and there weren't that many cars on the road.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lupu bridge is better to Gubei than the middle ring road, at least in my experience it is faster and most taxi drivers take that routing, often costs less as well...I don't think he was ripping you off.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Lupu bridge is better to Gubei than the middle ring road, at least in my experience it is faster and most taxi drivers take that routing, often costs less as well...I don't think he was ripping you off.
Good to know. The hotel website said it was about 200 RMB from PVG to the hotel, so I figured as long as it was around there, I was good. Based purely on the map, it just seemed like an odd route.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 8:31 am

PVG-->Sheraton Hongqiao

(Sat-Oct 23--raining)

3:35p: touch down
3:55p: leave the plane
4:20p: clear border control
4:21p: grab bag
4:25p: board taxi
5:20p: Arrive Sheraton Hongqiao

Not too much traffic until a few miles from the Sheraton. Rain was slowing things down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.