Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Stranded at Mutianyu - how worried should I be?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: BA - Blue
LapLap - since your trip is starting fairly soon, just leave this thread for now and report back after your experience.

Posters have opined with regards to basic information, and also whether it is advisable or not, but it's your trip and your agenda. Do enjoy it.

It will be useful learning for others regardless of whether it was perfect, dreadful, or, most likely somewhere inbetween so looking forward to your write-up.

tb
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by LapLap
72 posts in and all I've got is a nebulous, vague consensus that: public transport = bad, taxis/hired cars = good
My reading of it is simply that taxis/hired cars are sufficiently inexpensive that the additional cost vs. public transit is worth it to avoid the additional time and inconvenience of public transit. Different people may make different tradeoffs of course.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:52 am

I had to make an account because I wanted to help.

If I were you, Id call one of the youth hostels and arrange one of their tours. I live in China but I still use youth hostel tours because they are generally a good deal.

Last time I was at the Sanlitun youth hostel in Beijing, you could pay 270rmb (per person), included in the price was:
-breakfast at the hostel
-ticket to the wall
-transportation to and from the wall
-lunch at a restraunt near the wall.

good deal and cheaper than the 2100 you were quoted. Last time I checked, you didnt need to be staying at the hostel to go on the tours.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 5:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by carbonfistprint
Last time I was at the Sanlitun youth hostel in Beijing, you could pay 270rmb (per person), included in the price was:
-breakfast at the hostel
-ticket to the wall
-transportation to and from the wall
-lunch at a restraunt near the wall.
That's not a bad idea, but doesn't really work well for the OP because:
1) getting to any youth hostel from the airport is a lot more difficult than going to Dongzhimen or Mutianyu straight away
2) even if you value the entry ticket + food at Y100/person, you're still looking at Y340 for the provided transportation plus Y65 to get to the youth hostel in the first place (assuming AEX and short taxi ride)
Old May 6, 2014, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Scuppered before I got a chance to start!

Currently at Haneda queuing for complimentary sushi.

8:30am flight delayed due to tech issues.

Plane boarding time has been pushed to 10am, no firm departure time given.

Oh well...

That's public transport for you
Old May 6, 2014, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still should be enough time to get to the wall via taxi. :-)
Old May 7, 2014, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Nope, didn't actually leave Haneda until 12 noon

Not all baggage arrived at Beijing.

Didn't clear customs until after 3:30pm

Old May 7, 2014, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As there had been the loss/miss placement of a crucial item, Air China agreed to stash our luggage for free so we have the bare minimum with us.

The delay itself wasn't much of an ordeal, my daughter met a a little girl on the same flight and they had a blast together.

At PEK, finally reached landslide close to 4pm. Got the airport express into town, met the sweetest couple onboard, the lady had studied at Stirling in Scotland and we had a great chat. Getting the subway was simple, my daughter made friends with a drink and magazine vendor as I bought a ticket (IC cards at the airport had sold out). A bit crowded on board the subway but some college girls bonded with my companion immediately and shoved up to create a space for her, they all had a lovely time finished off with hugs and kisses all around.

The journey from Beijing airport to our hotel was absolutely delightful and an experience I appreciate and will treasure, can't imagine a more wonderful welcome to this city.

With Mutianyu no longer an option and taking the high costs of luggage storage at the airport into account, as our buggy never reached PEK I did consider getting a taxi to the hotel as I was using the buggy as wheels for a rather large and heavy bag. Very, very, VERY glad we didn't.
Old May 7, 2014, 5:44 pm

Right, taking the Airport Express and subway to town is a no-brainer.
Old May 7, 2014, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by JPDM
You're being facetious, right?
Old May 8, 2014, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I always prefer taking the airport express/subway combo no matter what town I'm in as long as there is convenient subway access to my hotel. From San Fran to Hong Kong to Shanghai to PEK there is usually a no more convenient way to get into town than via Subway/express train.

On this point, Lap Lap and I are in agreement. My insistance on taking the subway to/from the airport has at points made my girlfriend, my boss and my colleagues all very cross with me
Old May 8, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
Living in Lido I rarely get the airport express as we are right on the express road so no traffic issues, but I would definitely advocate it for those traveling individually and with light luggage who are heading downtown.
Old May 9, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by JPDM
Depends where you're going. Airport Express + subway to, say, somewhere in Haidian will take an absurdly long amount of time compared with a taxi, while it's not a bad trade-off if headed to Guomao.
Old May 9, 2014, 8:13 pm

So, how was the rest of your stay in Beijing, Lap Lap?
Old May 10, 2014, 3:39 am

I don't mean that it is the most efficient or even quickest way, just that it is easy.
Even when my previous apartment was right next to a subway stop on line 10, I experimented taxi vs Airport Express + subway and the taxi was taking half the time.
I now find the Airport bus to be ideal for me as its first stop is right next to my place.
But for a first timer to Beijing the subway is ok although if there are 2 of you then you only save a few dollars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.