Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Stranded at Mutianyu - how worried should I be?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stranded at Mutianyu - how worried should I be?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2014, 3:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JPDM
Even when my previous apartment was right next to a subway stop on line 10, I experimented taxi vs Airport Express + subway and the taxi was taking half the time.
That was my experience as well when I lived in Shuangjing.
Old May 10, 2014, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Haven't got much time to write before Monday but I'll make a stab at remarking on our impressions on our all too short visit to China.

Loved Beijing!

Asked my daughter what her overriding impression was of the city, and for her it was the kindness of the people we met there.

Used public transport extensively the next day (alas, never got the chance to get on a bus ) and our positive experiences from the day before just kept continuing. Our hotel was perfectly positioned for Beijing Zoo and the Summer Palace. These were lovely, but we were firmly in tourist zones whilst at these locations, it was the subway rides that gave us some of the best glimpses of what Beijing actually is.

I know it sounds a bit ridiculous because I knew this already, but I didn't actually GET it before. China is HUGE, ridiculously huge, and there are people from EVERYWHERE using the trains, and not just from "everywhere" but from every conceivable social and economic level from each part of rural and urban China. There was some rudeness, same as anywhere, a lot of impersonal abruptness (we were fine with this), but this just showcased the consideration and politeness that remained a near constant thread through our trip, something dear to us because it seemed absolutely genuine and heartfelt, not something delivered out of any sense of duty. The rare instances of rudeness we ignored completely, what stood out were some of the most exquisite manners and warmest spontaneous demonstrations of hospitality it has ever been my privilege to receive and enjoy.

And boy, was the food good!

The influx of Chinese tourists to Europe has been growing exponentially, I hope my time in Beijing will equip me to better understand and appreciate these visitors. I can't "pay back" the people we met randomly but I can be inspired by their example to be a better host in my own city. There's an awful lot I still have to learn about the Chinese but at least now I feel as if my foot is in and wedging the door open.

We ended up using taxis on a couple of occasions (we missed the last Airport Express as we'd been having such a great time - even nearly missed our stop at Sunyuanqiao as the subway journey with some strangers turned into a bit of a party - taxi fare to PEK was 77CNY). Perhaps it's different if you are fluent in Mandarin but these taxi journeys were entirely unmemorable. Quicker? Probably. A way to peek at a cross section of Chinese society and enjoy some enchanting company? Absolutely not.
I just don't have the mindset for taxis, this visit has only intensified my passion for public transport, just like every other trip I take does.

Last edited by LapLap; May 10, 2014 at 8:00 pm
Old May 10, 2014, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

P.S.
My daughter pointed out the screened advertising that you see outside the subway windows whilst the carriages are moving. Amazing! What is it and how is it done?
Old May 11, 2014, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by LapLap
P.S.
My daughter pointed out the screened advertising that you see outside the subway windows whilst the carriages are moving. Amazing! What is it and how is it done?
Yes they have all kinds of ads there. It's all about synchronizing with the train speed.
About the rudeness. When you have so many people, you need to make a place for yourself. What is considered rude by you is just normal for them. If you are too polite, you'll never get "there".
If you had a good impression of the zoo then you should see the real Beijing attractions. I rank the zoo maybe number 50 on my list. If one wants people interaction then it is a must to got to the Temple of Heaven in early morning (ideally between 7 and 10am).
Old May 11, 2014, 1:54 am

Yes they have all kinds of ads there. It's all about synchronizing with the train speed.
About the rudeness. When you have so many people, you need to make a place for yourself. What is considered rude by you is just normal for them. If you are too polite, you'll never get "there".
If you had a good impression of the zoo then you should see the real Beijing attractions. I rank the zoo maybe number 50 on my list. If one wants people interaction then it is a must to got to the Temple of Heaven in early morning (ideally between 7 and 10am).
The only zoo like attractions in China that would make my list at all are the Shanghai Aquarium and the panda reserve near Chengdu. Apart from these places, I've never been to a Chinese zoo in which the animals weren't clearly depressed by their plight.
Old May 11, 2014, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

About the rudeness.
Actual rudeness was rare and in line with what we have encountered in Tokyo, London, Bangkok, Madrid or anywhere else. Surely you aren't suggesting it doesn't exist at all

I'm sorry you took away the perception that I was making any sort of complaint about rudeness, that was not my intention, quite the opposite.

Beijing zoo wasn't my choice of destination (two children who had never seen a panda or polar bear and the hotel location were influencing factors - remember that on day two we were in the hands of others) but with London zoo as a comparison point it wasn't quite as depressing as I had imagined it would be. Lake and botanical gardens were actually very nice. There's definitely a limit to what little 4 year old legs can do in a day. Wasn't at all bothered by what didn't fit in as there is no doubt that we will be returning to Beijing, perhaps regularly.

Last edited by LapLap; May 11, 2014 at 3:30 am
Old May 11, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: BA - Blue
P.S.
It is cool, and I still enjoy it on the rare occasions that I still take the subway! It's just about precision timing -- think of it as a high tech version of the exercise book corner cartoons we used to make as kids!

Haven't got much time to write before Monday but I'll make a stab at remarking on our impressions on our all too short visit to China.

Loved Beijing!

Asked my daughter what her overriding impression was of the city, and for her it was the kindness of the people we met there.

Glad you enjoyed BJ and hope you come again. I agree, the people are really what is wonderful about China, and the main (but not only) reason we as a family are here.

I also agree that when we used to take the subway a lot, especially with a cute kid, it really brings out the best in one's fellow travelers (not so much when I travel solo), and that's a great glimpse into a society (regardless of cute kid).

I think the point of disagreement at the beginning of the thread was not that one doesn't get a glimpse into life from public mass transit, but rather the merits or not of such as mode of transportation. I've _never_ taken the subway/ train to and from the airport, and will not do so going forward. For me, it would nearly triple the journey time, and even if traffic is horrendous, it would still take longer than a cab. And I just want to get to the airport.

Trying to take this thread back to the beginning OP, I still wouldn't recommend the public transport route to Mutianyu, especially from Haidian. If the purpose is to get to the GW in a reasonably cost-effective and convenient manner. That is not to say that one shouldn't take public transport at all on one's journey, nor the other benefits derived therefrom as you have stated and mentioned.

tb

PS if you're here again, especially for a longer trip, do let us know!
Old May 24, 2014, 6:39 pm

Interesting read going through 7 pages of this thread!!

Had "met" OP on Japan forum too.

hats off to all the posters who so politely and patiently kept giving sensible advice

glad that all went ok for OP too.
Old May 27, 2014, 2:37 pm

I think may be going off topic, but what I'm asking for is somewhat similar to what the OP was asking, so here it goes

On my last day in Beijing we have a 3:45 PM ANA flight to Tokyo Haneda, I wanted to know if I can:

1. Take airport express and either check-in or store luggage by 7:30 AM - ANA looks like they have a 8:30 AM flight to Narita so I presume the counter will be open

2. Hire a taxi for round trip to Mutianyu - how much would this cost and should I book a car service instead ?

Alternatively is to hire a car service to pick us up from our hotel in Beijing, take us to Mutianyu with our luggage, and drop us off at the Airport

Any suggestion or recommendations is greatly appreciated, thanks,
Old May 27, 2014, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Virginia Emery
I think may be going off topic, but what I'm asking for is somewhat similar to what the OP was asking, so here it goes

On my last day in Beijing we have a 3:45 PM ANA flight to Tokyo Haneda, I wanted to know if I can:

1. Take airport express and either check-in or store luggage by 7:30 AM - ANA looks like they have a 8:30 AM flight to Narita so I presume the counter will be open

2. Hire a taxi for round trip to Mutianyu - how much would this cost and should I book a car service instead ?

Alternatively is to hire a car service to pick us up from our hotel in Beijing, take us to Mutianyu with our luggage, and drop us off at the Airport

Any suggestion or recommendations is greatly appreciated, thanks,
Do this, for sure. There is really no difference between taxis and car services, apart from the value of the car itself (i.e. you will pay a lot more for a Bentley than a Sonota).
Old May 28, 2014, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Do this, for sure. There is really no difference between taxis and car services, apart from the value of the car itself (i.e. you will pay a lot more for a Bentley than a Sonota).
Thanks Moondog, I tried Simon and he's not available on my date, do you have a recommended driver ?

No need to be English speaking, I can deal with Mandarin
Old May 28, 2014, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Virginia Emery
Thanks Moondog, I tried Simon and he's not available on my date, do you have a recommended driver ?

No need to be English speaking, I can deal with Mandarin
Please shoot me an email, and I will put you in touch with Raymond. (Raymond is my friend who used to operate an Uber like car service in Beijing before car services were outlawed up there. He is in Guangzhou these days, but is still tight with many drivers in Beijing.)
Old May 29, 2014, 11:41 pm

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
I used Miles Meng to pick up my folks from the airport a few weeks ago and can highly recommend him. Good English from the brief times I spoke to him and was at least 100rmb cheaper than all other airport pickup quotes I've had.

[email protected]

www.beijingtourvan.blog.sohu.com
Old May 30, 2014, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by desi
Interesting read going through 7 pages of this thread!!

Had "met" OP on Japan forum too.

hats off to all the posters who so politely and patiently kept giving sensible advice

glad that all went ok for OP too.

From my own, personal perspective, this thread now seems complete!

I had your posts in the Japan forum very, very much in mind when using this thread to plan for my trip to China.

It was an important lesson on how sensible advice given on a forum (even when it conforms to a consensus) is not the always going to be the best advice for the individual asking.

"Choisir c'est renoncer."
Old May 30, 2014, 4:19 am

From my own, personal perspective, this thread now seems complete!

I had your posts in the Japan forum very, very much in mind when using this thread to plan for my trip to China.

It was an important lesson on how sensible advice given on a forum (even when it conforms to a consensus) is not the always going to be the best advice for the individual asking.

"Choisir c'est renoncer."
LapLap. Most of us here live in China. As a group, our general consensus is that time > money. This is especially true for people who are on short visits. Taxis in Beijing are dirt cheap to the extent that attempting to deprive a driver of $100 for a day of his time and the associated depreciation on the value of his car would be deplorable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.