Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MH370 and PEK security

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2014, 6:11 am
Original Poster

MH370 and PEK security

With everything that's going on with MH370 is PEK making security stricter. I plan to pass through PEK and i've already read horror stories about it being a nightmare there.

Last edited by wordsew; Jul 6, 2014 at 10:38 pm
Old Mar 15, 2014, 8:03 am

"...i've already read horror stories about it being a nightmare there..."
What did you read and where?
Old Mar 15, 2014, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JPDM
"...i've already read horror stories about it being a nightmare there..."
What did you read and where?
There are plenty of posts out there that talk about long que lines and general disorganization at PEK. Just want to know if they have bolstered up security and passenger scutiny as well they should have considering the recent events and how it has effected processing and transit times as I will be subject to it soon enough.

Sorry no bibliography and footnotes with my posts.

Last edited by wordsew; Mar 15, 2014 at 9:45 am Reason: Tempered
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by wordsew
There are plenty of posts out there that talk about long que lines and general disorganization at PEK. Just want to know if they have bolstered up security and passenger scutiny as well they should have considering the recent events and how it has effected processing and transit times as I will be subject to it soon enough.

Sorry no bibliography and footnotes with my posts.
Then these "plenty of posts out there" with no links or sourcing don't lend credibility to your claim.

I've always found PEK security (regardless of terminal) reasonably quick and professional, fairly polite, and certainly not slipshod or "disorganized". Quite the contrary. Queues or lack thereof are more a function of being there at busier times of day...or not. My main issue with PEK security has always been that their WTMD's (walk through metal detector) are set so sensitive that even walking through without any metal on one's person seems to set them off...meaning huge numbers of people are then hand wanded.

We'll have to get more reports in the near future from those passing through (preferably with a lot of prior experience at PEK to compare against), to see if procedures have changed in some way. But my guess is that any noticeable change in procedure would be more likely to stem from the recent Kunming railway station attack than from MH370.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jiejie
Then these "plenty of posts out there" with no links or sourcing don't lend credibility to your claim.

I've always found PEK security (regardless of terminal) reasonably quick and professional, fairly polite, and certainly not slipshod or "disorganized". Quite the contrary. Queues or lack thereof are more a function of being there at busier times of day...or not. My main issue with PEK security has always been that their WTMD's (walk through metal detector) are set so sensitive that even walking through without any metal on one's person seems to set them off...meaning huge numbers of people are then hand wanded.

We'll have to get more reports in the near future from those passing through (preferably with a lot of prior experience at PEK to compare against), to see if procedures have changed in some way. But my guess is that any noticeable change in procedure would be more likely to stem from the recent Kunming railway station attack than from MH370.
Well it certainly sounds like you are more familiar with PEK than I am and I appreciate any insight you can provide. But C'mon I was simply asking a question not submitting a term paper. For all of those out there who may agree or disagree with the content and form of my original statement and question please relax and just state your opinion to the contrary. If anyone feels so inclined to post links and sourcing when you post by all means please do so. I don't believe it's necessary here I'm just trying to gather a little info.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 1:33 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
I was through PEK security last Saturday morning just as the news broke on the missing Malaysia flight. In my opinion, the security was quite thorough. All passengers set off the metal detector as the sensitivity was set very low. All were thoroughly checked with a hand held wand. All computers had to come out of bags and were sent through separately and there was a very vigilant check for both water bottles, liquids and lighters. I could see them regularly emptying bins full of bottles, toothpaste, deodorant, cosmetics, etc..
Old Mar 15, 2014, 4:27 pm

I was wondering about your source as I have traveled through this airports too many times to remember and your comment certainly does not match my experience. It is fairly well organized and certainly quicker than in the US. So I have no idea where you heard of horrors stories.
The experience of GB above is quite normal and standard in most airports in the world.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by GB
I was through PEK security last Saturday morning just as the news broke on the missing Malaysia flight. In my opinion, the security was quite thorough. All passengers set off the metal detector as the sensitivity was set very low. All were thoroughly checked with a hand held wand. All computers had to come out of bags and were sent through separately and there was a very vigilant check for both water bottles, liquids and lighters. I could see them regularly emptying bins full of bottles, toothpaste, deodorant, cosmetics, etc..
This sounds like a normal day at PEK to me. The metal detectors, as stated, are the biggest pain since it really slows the security queue down.

However, we're flying on a family holiday on Friday, and the OP sufficiently 'spooked' me that we've booked our cab a little earlier than I would normally, painfully early as it is.

tb
Old Mar 16, 2014, 12:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Laptops no longer need to be removed from bags (but, don't blame me if the security people are unaware of this new directive). Furthermore, you don't have to take off your shoes. Just be sure to take everything out of you pockets because the metal detectors are extremely sensitive.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 3:25 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by trueblu
This sounds like a normal day at PEK to me. The metal detectors, as stated, are the biggest pain since it really slows the security queue down.

However, we're flying on a family holiday on Friday, and the OP sufficiently 'spooked' me that we've booked our cab a little earlier than I would normally, painfully early as it is.

tb
I've departed from PEK (T2) three times over the last seven days and there have been no changes at all.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Well thanks folks for your feedback. I will be very interested to see if recent events change security procedures and or effect transit times at PEK in the future since I have some planned travel in/out/through PEK.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wordsew
Well thanks folks for your feedback. I will be very interested to see if recent events change security procedures and or effect transit times at PEK in the future since I have some planned travel in/out/through PEK.
Nothing has changed.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 9:56 am

Security check point in major ap in Asia including those of PEK, SHA, PVG, CAN and HKG are the most offective one around if you ask me. Compaired to the ones in US or CA they are "fast track" but yet very thorough. The only change or "upgrade" I noticed in China including PEK, is when President Shi came into power. Other than that, business as usual.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:14 pm

SHA/PEK Security

Came through SHA and PEK on Sunday, March 16. Unlike previous trips, I had to empty everything out of my briefcase into bins for separate scanning at both airports. All in all, it added maybe two minutes to the entire process of getting through to the gate.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by ACSE2004
Security check point in major ap in Asia including those of PEK, SHA, PVG, CAN and HKG are the most offective one around if you ask me. Compaired to the ones in US or CA they are "fast track" but yet very thorough. The only change or "upgrade" I noticed in China including PEK, is when President Shi came into power. Other than that, business as usual.
Yeah, and if anything they have multiple security lines. Maybe because it's centralized unlike the American airports where terminals have their individual checkpoints (sometimes multiple), but it feels far more impressive when I see 10 or so lines moving whereas I'm fuming with one long line and 2 full body scanners at LAX. There's also a sense of efficiency. Whether its the guards telling you to do XYZ versus clueless American travelers at domestic airports who grab a bin just to put their backpack in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.