Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MH370 and PEK security

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:06 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by moondog
Anything you purchase after security is okay unless you happen to encounter a search at the end of the jet way (this procedure applies to many, but not all, US bound flights).
Yes, this just happened to me there yesterday. Had just gotten water and barely drank any of it, they made me throw it away on the jet way.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Anything you purchase after security is okay unless you happen to encounter a search at the end of the jet way (this procedure applies to many, but not all, US bound flights).
What is the point of this anyway? I remember carrying water to my flight at PVG and it sits in a holder in my backpack, so it wasn't visible there was water. One of the security guys at the jetway asked if it was empty. I wasn't thinking properly so I said yes and I was waved through. I then realized I lied not even understanding what was going on. I thought he meant if I emptied it through the initial security, which I obviously did, and then filled it up by the drinking fountain next to my gate.

I also remember having my bottle of water and 2 Sprites smuggled from the SQ lounge at HKG thrown out by the gate security. Boo. I'm a heavy liquid drinker, so I prefer to at least have my 1L water bottle filled up before I board.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Been through PEK security at T3 and T2. While the security at T2 was quick and painless, T2 had long and slow lines. No issues with the staff at all.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by dmo580
What is the point of this anyway?
Chinese being ultra-strict on US-bound flights with the extra gate area check and confiscation of liquid drinkables. I've had them claim it's a TSA requirement. The Chinese don't normally do this on flights heading for most other international destinations--for those, you may purchase bottled water/drinks in the secure airside area and take them on board, no secondary gate security check. BTW, China is not the only location in Asia where the airside water snatch-and-grab is done for USA-bound flights.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Tonight on my flight out of sha the luggage scanner needed immediately after my bag entered it and I was sent to the inspection room (a routine I'm used to in Japan but not in China). There were three other people there was well). In each case the contraband was li batteries). I actually had a tiny Nokia with a battery inside and an identical spare. They were cool with the former but insisted that the lone battery travel with me in the passenger cabin. One of the other passengers also had her computer charger in her bag and they wanted her to carry it on but she stood her ground and won.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
What is the point of this anyway?
The cynic says it's to tweak silly American rules. The justifiable reason is that they do a worse job screening the liquids coming into the airside area.

It's easy enough to get away with - saying "no liquids" to the checkers usually does the trick.

FWIW, PEK security has almost always been quick and efficient. There are multiple checkpoints, but most are emigration related. The metal detectors are sensitive, but the pat down afterwards might as well be a massage. Only time it was slow for me was when I went in the "express" lane, which was the exact opposite.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie
BTW, China is not the only location in Asia where the airside water snatch-and-grab is done for USA-bound flights.
Where else? I've had it once at HKG last year, but typically my USA bound flight is in NRT or TPE so I've never had issues there.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: various
Where else? I've had it once at HKG last year, but typically my USA bound flight is in NRT or TPE so I've never had issues there.
ICN, definitely.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: QF SQ VA CX DL UA PR MH MU
Arrived into PVG yesterday at 12:30 and ZERO customs checks - no bags at all being xrayed - go figure.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 3:52 am

Programs: QF SQ VA CX DL UA PR MH MU
Dep PEK yesterday at 16:35 - no problem getting through immig but lines at security inspection like a mile long

BUT

They are now sending F and J pax to a special line down to furtherest left - even beyond Crew Lane - staff told me started this 1 week ago if lines get too long . the pat down procedure on every pax is what is making the whole process as time consuming as it is.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:16 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by Cruiser Elite
Dep PEK yesterday at 16:35 - no problem getting through immig but lines at security inspection like a mile long

BUT

They are now sending F and J pax to a special line down to furtherest left - even beyond Crew Lane - staff told me started this 1 week ago if lines get too long . the pat down procedure on every pax is what is making the whole process as time consuming as it is.
Yep, I noticed this 'priority lane' for F/J pax for the first time on the left a few days ago when flying to ORD. I have to say, the line there was no better or worse than the other lines, but on that day (sat morning), my experience with security was very much par for the course.

tb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.