Reload this Page >

The Jinghu (Beijing-Shanghai) High Speed Rail thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
I started this thread almost exactly 7 years ago. Not a lot has changed since then, but I think a wikipost is now justified:
-Jing refers to Beijing and Hu refers to Shanghai
-the smaller cities in the middle derive the greatest economic benefit from the service
-air fares have dropped a lot during the course of the past 7 years, and the delay situation has improved quite a bit, so I usually fly these days
-single digit trains tend to stop only in Nanjing, double digit trains stop in Nanjing and Jinan, and triple digit trains have up to 7 station stops.
-the vast majority of trains terminate at Shanghai Hongqiao, which isn't convenient for many people, but Shanghai Station service has recently been launched
-if you have a few days advance on your hands, buy tickets locally; in addition to being a little cheaper, this spares the need for will call
Print Wikipost

The Jinghu (Beijing-Shanghai) High Speed Rail thread

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2016, 9:59 am

Evening expresses

On Sunday, 15th of May, evening expresses begin.
At present, last express train Beijing-Shanghai is G17, departs 15:00, takes 4:56, arrives 19:56.
G19 departs 16:00, takes 5:16, arrives 21:16. G21 departs 17:00, takes 5:39, arrives 22:39. The last train is G159, departs 17:50, takes 5:38, arrives 23:28.

But on 15th of May, there shall be G7, departing Beijing 19:00, taking 4:55 (stops at Jinan and Nanjing), arrives 23:55.
Shanghai-Beijing shall also have G8, departing Shanghai 19:00, taking 4:48 (stops at Nanjing), arrives 23:48.

How convenient are Hongqiao and Beijing South for arriving a few minutes before midnight?
Old May 12, 2016, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack

How convenient are Hongqiao and Beijing South for arriving a few minutes before midnight?
I'm not completely clear on what you're asking, but traffic is minimal at midnight in both locations.
Old May 12, 2016, 10:41 am

Nothing wrong in arriving at these places. No more subway but lots of taxis.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:36 am

The numbers, such as they are, are out and it looks like the Jinghu HSR line is quite a success:

http://en.people.cn/n3/2016/0719/c98649-9088162.html
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:11 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by hawklx
Regarding the overnight D trains, there are actually:
1 on Mon, Fri, Sat & Sun
2 on Tue & Thu
3 on Wed
on SH - BJ and vice versa.
Took D322 SH 19:53 - BJ 7:46 last week, very pleasant experience and good timing.

The earlier arrival time was perfect for me, breakfast at the Korean bakery "Paris Baguette" outlet at Beijingnan and then to my friends and business partners apartment in Chaoyang for a shower and getting some work done.

On the way back next morning. G5, BJ 7:00 - SH 11:55. Got up at 4:45 and had checked the previous day that the metro lines needed operate from shortly after 5 am onwards.

Quick metro trip so no taxi hassle at all and bought some brekkie items at the Beijingnan midlevel convenience store also frequented by the railway employees.

The day trip was a bit dull but it was good to arrive early enough to be able to have lunch on the other side of town in Lujiazui.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Train info Beijing to Shanghai

Train info Beijing to Shanghai

I have seen the pictures of the high-speed trains. Second-class is US$81 first-class $137 USD and business approximately $250.

Can someone tell me for five hours it's really worth $50 more or $170 more and why?

Are there any discounts anywhere and is advantage for buying tickets in advance?

Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:33 pm

I don't think it's worth paying more, but obviously some people do or those more expensive coaches would be empty. Up to you, really. No doubt some travellers in China wouldn't be caught dead in the cheap seats.

No discounts. Buying in advance means you know you'll get a seat on the particular timing you want. If you're flexible, maybe that's less important.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: various
Business class (the top category, which is above first class), is IMO not worth it unless you can expense it to your company or somebody else. First class is worth it if you are a "customer of size" or need to get laptop work or paperwork done, since you have more real estate. Many casual travelers do fine in second class and prefer to save cash. On Chinese high-speed trains, I use both first and second class depending on the route and what I need to be doing (or not) on the journey.

There are no discounts, but if you are traveling at a busy period/day and need to be on a certain train, it would be better to buy the tickets in advance and pay a small service fee from a reputable China-based agent.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:30 am

"Worth" is a matter of personal taste. Maybe worth it for you but not for me. Look at photos and decide if it is worth it for YOU.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:48 pm
Original Member

I read that in first class they assign the seat- you do not choose

is this true?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 4:33 am

Seats are assigned on Chinese trains.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:36 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by 889
Seats are assigned on Chinese trains.
if you buy 2 seats in First- will you be sitting with your partner?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alhcfp
IME yes, and if you buy at a ticket office, you can usually select specific seats.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by alhcfp
If you buy together, i.e., submitting an order for both passengers together, you will likely sit together (I know of exceptions but I am lucky enough to sit with my travel companions all the time). If you buy separately, then very unlikely.

That applies for 1st and 2nd class seats. I only traveled alone on Business class so I do not have first-hand experience. There are only few Business class seats and 1/3 of them are single seats. I suppose there may be a higher chance of sitting apart.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by jiejie
Business class (the top category, which is above first class), is IMO not worth it unless you can expense it to your company or somebody else. First class is worth it if you are a "customer of size" or need to get laptop work or paperwork done, since you have more real estate. Many casual travelers do fine in second class and prefer to save cash. On Chinese high-speed trains, I use both first and second class depending on the route and what I need to be doing (or not) on the journey.

There are no discounts, but if you are traveling at a busy period/day and need to be on a certain train, it would be better to buy the tickets in advance and pay a small service fee from a reputable China-based agent.
In 2nd class, seat width is more an issue to me than pitch. Not fat but more the Rugby player type than a marathon runner...

On BJ - SH trips I'd do 1st if not on an especially limited budget, on shorter hops, say Beijing - Jinan or Nanjing - Shanghai for example, 2nd is perfectly fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.