Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

I agree that those are not close to the best restaurants in Chicago. If that's you're point, fine. But then where would you suggest a visitor go for deep dish pizza, hot dogs, Italian beef or a place that serves the kinds of food that Ann Sather does? These are iconic Chicago restaurants and I would bet most of us think they're all the places to go for that kind of food (however, Mr. Beef is far superior to Al's. ).
You're totally right. I live less than half mile from Ann Sather and would never, ever think of sending a guest there. I find both the service and the food to be deplorable. I don't even think those infamous cinnamon rolls are made with real butter. I also fully admit I take issue with my Aldermoran, Tunney, and wouldn't ever think of patronizing one of his establishments. My issue. I acknowledge that.

Maybe I'm just not hardcore Chicago enough because I think Portillo's is rotten too. The food is low quality Sysco delivered junk and again, the service is terrible.

Lou Malnati's is okay but it's not my thing.

I really need to quit. It's apparent that I'm just spoiled and just really don't enjoy crap food. I'm a fitness and nutrition crazy, so the foods that appeal to most visitors won't appeal to me. Again, my issue! Thank you for reminding me that I'm nuts.

I like Bavette's a lot and recently dined at Charlatan twice. Both experiences were fabulous, both the food and atmosphere. My Michigan Avenue go to for tourists is typically The Gage.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
You're totally right. I live less than half mile from Ann Sather and would never, ever think of sending a guest there. I find both the service and the food to be deplorable. I don't even think those infamous cinnamon rolls are made with real butter. I also fully admit I take issue with my Aldermoran, Tunney, and wouldn't ever think of patronizing one of his establishments. My issue. I acknowledge that.

Maybe I'm just not hardcore Chicago enough because I think Portillo's is rotten too. The food is low quality Sysco delivered junk and again, the service is terrible.

Lou Malnati's is okay but it's not my thing.

I really need to quit. It's apparent that I'm just spoiled and just really don't enjoy crap food. I'm a fitness and nutrition crazy, so the foods that appeal to most visitors won't appeal to me. Again, my issue! Thank you for reminding me that I'm nuts.

I like Bavette's a lot and recently dined at Charlatan twice. Both experiences were fabulous, both the food and atmosphere. My Michigan Avenue go to for tourists is typically The Gage.
I kind of agree with you. It's like telling someone visiting internationally that they must eat at McDonald's because it's "authentic American" even though it's pretty terrible.

I think maybe pick one place from the list of "Chicago food" and spend the rest of your time eating at great restaurants. Chicago has some of the best restaurants in the country - take advantage of that fact.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
If you don't like deep dish pizza or object to it for health reasons (both valid opinions), a visitor asks if they should go to Lou Malnati's and your response is, "No!" the implication is that it's bad pizza when you ought to be saying something along the lines of, "I don't eat deep dish pizza" or "Not my thing." If someone likes deep dish pizza, chances are they will find Lou's delicious and a memorable Chicago experience. Just my 2¢.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:30 pm

If you don't like deep dish pizza or object to it for health reasons (both valid opinions), a visitor asks if they should go to Lou Malnati's and your response is, "No!" the implication is that it's bad pizza when you ought to be saying something along the lines of, "I don't eat deep dish pizza" or "Not my thing." If someone likes deep dish pizza, chances are they will find Lou's delicious and a memorable Chicago experience. Just my 2¢.
Agreed! I think you can't go wrong for a "deep dish experience" at any of the better known places. Lou's, Giordano's, Pequod's, etc are all great. I'd personally suggest deep dish over hot dogs or Italian beef.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ffflllyyyeeerrr
Agreed! I think you can't go wrong for a "deep dish experience" at any of the better known places. Lou's, Giordano's, Pequod's, etc are all great. I'd personally suggest deep dish over hot dogs or Italian beef.
Agree on hot dogs, but Italian beef is pretty unique to Chicago. It's not a restaurant experience however, it's more like a food stand. I'd also say that "real" Chicago pizza is thin crust, piled with toppings, and cut into squares. Everyone should try Chicago deep dish once, but that's enough.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:33 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
I also fully admit I take issue with my Aldermoran, Tunney, and wouldn't ever think of patronizing one of his establishments. My issue. I acknowledge that.
You're not the only one! I like the "aldermoron" term....I have to borrow that. Count me among the 25% who voted for Mark Thomas.

Here's my issue with the Portillo's/Ann Sather's/[any deep dish pizza place]/[any Italian beef place]: There are so many restaurants in Chicago that blow these places away. If you want cheap, unhealthy food, sure...go there. Be my guest. But if you want some of the best Chicago has to offer, just take a look at the recent James Beard award winners (for example, anything from Paul Kahan, who in 2013 was named co-winner of the Outstanding Chef Award, which basically goes to the top chef in the country). Or look at Time Out Chicago's annual dining awards, Eater Chicago's Hot List, LTHForum's Great Neighborhood Restaurant recipients, etc. And...stop listening to 99% of people who don't live in Chicago and are giving you recommendations. Contrary to popular belief, Chicagoans don't spend their time dining at Gibson's and Giordano's.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
You're not the only one! I like the "aldermoron" term....I have to borrow that. Count me among the 25% who voted for Mark Thomas.

Here's my issue with the Portillo's/Ann Sather's/[any deep dish pizza place]/[any Italian beef place]: There are so many restaurants in Chicago that blow these places away. If you want cheap, unhealthy food, sure...go there. Be my guest. But if you want some of the best Chicago has to offer, just take a look at the recent James Beard award winners (for example, anything from Paul Kahan, who in 2013 was named co-winner of the Outstanding Chef Award, which basically goes to the top chef in the country). Or look at Time Out Chicago's annual dining awards, Eater Chicago's Hot List, LTHForum's Great Neighborhood Restaurant recipients, etc. And...stop listening to 99% of people who don't live in Chicago and are giving you recommendations. Contrary to popular belief, Chicagoans don't spend their time dining at Gibson's and Giordano's.
I don't disagree with any of that. My point, however, is that if someone wants to try Chicago deep dish pizza because they've only had Uno's chain crap in Cleveland, my first thought isn't Avec or Blackbird. If they want fine dining, that's when I'd recommend places like that.

Totally agree about Tom Tunney, btw.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I don't disagree with any of that. My point, however, is that if someone wants to try Chicago deep dish pizza because they've only had Uno's chain crap in Cleveland, my first thought isn't Avec or Blackbird. If they want fine dining, that's when I'd recommend places like that.

Totally agree about Tom Tunney, btw.
Yep...and I second the call for "anything from Paul Kahan", altough I will risk derision by stating that Blackbird might be my least favorite in the group.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 1, 2015 at 7:20 pm Reason: off-topic
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My point, however, is that if someone wants to try Chicago deep dish pizza because they've only had Uno's chain crap in Cleveland, my first thought isn't Avec or Blackbird. If they want fine dining, that's when I'd recommend places like that.
But for deep dish pizza, Lou Manalti's is no good. Well, OK, I really don't like deep dish pizza in general, but I do enjoy Pequod's.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:20 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by rjque
But for deep dish pizza, Lou Manalti's is no good. Well, OK, I really don't like deep dish pizza in general, but I do enjoy Pequod's.
I'm an East Coaster by birth, so I have a genetic aversion to Chicago-style pizza. Give me a great slice from Pizzeria de Nella or Bar Toma over a slice of deep dish any day. Pizza is meant to be cut into wedges and folded in half. End of story!

That said, I go to a lot of evening non-profit meetings where dinner is brought in and I've recently decided that I can tolerate Malnatti's thin crust. It's not pizza, but it's a pretty tasty hot cracker with tomatoes and other toppings.

Originally Posted by JBord
Yep...and I second the call for "anything from Paul Kahan", altough I will risk derision by stating that Blackbird might be my least favorite in the group.

I won't comment on alderman, since I have one of the few good ones in Chicago (just a little southwest of the rest of you ).
I spent 5 years working a block from Blackbird and treating it like the company cafeteria. I know it's great and special for a lot of people, but I haven't stepped foot in there for 10 years. I'm with you....my ranking of favorite One-Off Hospitality Restaurants ranks Blackbird in last place simply because it just doesn't feel special anymore. But Nico, Avec, Publican, Big Star, Dove's...I could simply rotate through and be very very happy!
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Jacketwatch
Lou Malnatis pizza
Pizzeria Uno or Due.
Al's Italian Beef
Portillos hot dogs
Ann Sathers
Lou Malnatis is my go to place when we have guests who just want deep dish. I don't happen to care for deep dish, but this version is the most acceptable I've found and a bonus is they're close enough to me to walk to.

Pizzeria Uno or Due - jumped the shark years ago. Horrible. Ditto on Gino's East and Edwardos.

Al's Italian Beef - OK for what it is, I think Mr. Beef on Orleans is better, but Al's gets the job done - be sure to practice the "scrunch" first (sandwich in both hands, lean forward at the counter, etc.) For a true experience if you have a car drive out to Johnny's on North Avenue in Elmwood Park - still the best after all these years.

Portillos - I have no problem with them. They make a decent Chicago style dog and I like their fries.

Ann Sathers - OMG. NO, just NO. A faint shadow of its former self. In a previous incarnation it was the safe place to take your parents from the small town who didn't want to be challenged. Now its just gross. There are fewer and fewer of us who remember Ann sitting in the front of the restaurant, always in a red dress.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by milepig
Ann Sathers - OMG. NO, just NO. A faint shadow of its former self. In a previous incarnation it was the safe place to take your parents from the small town who didn't want to be challenged. Now its just gross. There are fewer and fewer of us who remember Ann sitting in the front of the restaurant, always in a red dress.
I'm one of them and the waitress was always about 80 years old. If she liked you, you would get an extra cinnamon roll and you usually got a visit from Ann sometime during the meal.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:52 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Maybe I am in the minority here... up until Ann Sathers (Andersonville location) closed, it was an okay place to visit. Honestly, I just went there for there bacon and potato pancakes. Yes, every bit a grease spooner as it sounds... For real brunch, there are so many other places.

Stuffed pizza - I have a love/hate relationship here. This is a Chicago cliche but it's kind of a city signature. Besides Lou's or Giardanos, I wouldn't even know where to send someone for a deep dish pizza.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Stuffed pizza - I have a love/hate relationship here. This is a Chicago cliche but it's kind of a city signature. Besides Lou's or Giardanos, I wouldn't even know where to send someone for a deep dish pizza.
That's kind of confusing. Lou's is deep dish. Giordano's is stuffed.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: status free since 2017
That's kind of confusing. Lou's is deep dish. Giordano's is stuffed.
They don't have a stuffed pizza as well? I mght be confusing Lou's with some other place...

Where does Grange Hall stand against Au Cheval burgers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.