Wiki Posts
Search

Best Restaurants in Chicago?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
They don't have a stuffed pizza as well? I mght be confusing Lou's with some other place...

Where does Grange Hall stand against Au Cheval burgers?
No stuffed at Lou's.

Grange Hall used to be excellent, just mediocre nowadays. Au Cheval is much better.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
They don't have a stuffed pizza as well? I mght be confusing Lou's with some other place...

Where does Grange Hall stand against Au Cheval burgers?
Grange Hall burger my last trip was mediocre and so was the pie. I haven't returned. Au Cheval is still good, much better than Grange Hall. I did have the burger at Primehouse last December and it was quite good.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chica...hicago-12.html
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Maybe I am in the minority here... up until Ann Sathers (Andersonville location) closed, it was an okay place to visit. Honestly, I just went there for there bacon and potato pancakes. Yes, every bit a grease spooner as it sounds...
I think many of those complaining (ME!!) remember what Ann Sather used to be in the old days. It may be OK for what it is, but isn't what it used to be.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by milepig
I think many of those complaining (ME!!) remember what Ann Sather used to be in the old days. It may be OK for what it is, but isn't what it used to be.
I can understand that sentiment. My first trip to Ann Sathers was around 10yrs ago and it seemed to have dropped its standards a little. But even then, I wouldn't have placed it at top of the list. Is it a much older establishment?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 7:11 pm

I can understand that sentiment. My first trip to Ann Sathers was around 10yrs ago and it seemed to have dropped its standards a little. But even then, I wouldn't have placed it at top of the list. Is it a much older establishment?
It's been around about 70 years. People would have you believe it's horrendous because it's been around forever and the current owner, who tried to turn it into a chain, is a jerk. So, people like to bash it. Personally, I'd go here over hundreds of other coffee shop/diner like places in the city. Just my 2 cents. If you want bad, just go across the street to Cheesie's.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
It's been around about 70 years. People would have you believe it's horrendous because it's been around forever and the current owner, who tried to turn it into a chain, is a jerk. So, people like to bash it. Personally, I'd go here over hundreds of other coffee shop/diner like places in the city. Just my 2 cents. If you want bad, just go across the street to Cheesie's.
I would agree with this. I'll admit, it doesn't come to mind often for me these days, but when I've gone, it's still better than a lot of places.

I don't know that I'd send a visitor there to experience Chicago cuisine though.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
What ruined it for me was the short lived Hyde Park location which gave new meaning to the word horrendous. It didn't last long for good reason.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 5:57 am

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

Why?

I agree that those are not close to the best restaurants in Chicago. If that's you're point, fine. But then where would you suggest a visitor go for deep dish pizza, hot dogs, Italian beef or a place that serves the kinds of food that Ann Sather does? These are iconic Chicago restaurants and I would bet most of us think they're all the places to go for that kind of food (however, Mr. Beef is far superior to Al's. ).
Of course these are not the best in Chi town but the OP asked about authentic Chicago, not for places like Alinea.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 11:10 am
glg

Portillos - I have no problem with them. They make a decent Chicago style dog and I like their fries.
I've never been a fan of their dogs, but I also like their fries. I went to one in the burbs last week for a quick/late dinner, grabbed a chicken sandwich on a whim and it was pretty good.

Ann Sathers - OMG. NO, just NO. A faint shadow of its former self. In a previous incarnation it was the safe place to take your parents from the small town who didn't want to be challenged. Now its just gross. There are fewer and fewer of us who remember Ann sitting in the front of the restaurant, always in a red dress.
Prior to the move there was at least still the ambiance of the old building. The new place lost it and just isn't good. Combine that my agreement with others that Tunney is a terrible alderman and ... no.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by glg
I've never been a fan of their dogs, but I also like their fries. I went to one in the burbs last week for a quick/late dinner, grabbed a chicken sandwich on a whim and it was pretty good.

Prior to the move there was at least still the ambiance of the old building. The new place lost it and just isn't good. Combine that my agreement with others that Tunney is a terrible alderman and ... no.
Sorry to hear this. I remember the old place.
Old May 24, 2015, 10:13 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Had an excellent dinner at NoMi at the Park Hyatt a couple of weeks ago. Impeccable service, good wine list, delicious food and of course the view from the dining room. Plus you can earn Hyatt points for dining there.
Old May 24, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Hot Doug's successor?

Hot "G" Dog, 5009 N. Clark, 773-209-3360, hotgdog.com

Has anyone tried it yet?
Old May 24, 2015, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by gretchendz
Hot "G" Dog, 5009 N. Clark, 773-209-3360, hotgdog.com

Has anyone tried it yet?
Haven't been there, but CBS 2 did a segment about them on the news recently. It was started by two of Doug's cooks. Still have duck fat fries on Saturday, IIRC, and foie gras.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/05/...-to-hot-dougs/
Old May 28, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
What ruined it for me was the short lived Hyde Park location which gave new meaning to the word horrendous. It didn't last long for good reason.
Really? I thought the food was pretty much identical to the mothership on the North Side (i.e. great cinnamon rolls, excellent Swedish pancakes, everything else not memorable). I checked, and it lasted five years, I had thought it was longer than that. Then again, if others viewed it the same way you do, then maybe it just _seemed_ like longer.
Old May 28, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
No.

No.

No.

No.

Seriously. no.
Hahaha. Awesome.

Giordano's Stuffed Pizza beats out any of the other "deep dish" pizza places any day in my book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.