Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Mineta's Vacuum of Leadership & Responsibility

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2003, 8:15 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)

http://www.aviationplanning.com/asrc11.htm

"The Vacuum Continues. Let's state it again, since there are segments of the media who are only too eager to become Pravda-esque horns of untruth for the TSA. The TSA has absolutely no cohesive security plan for the nation's airports. All they're doing is screening passengers and - to some degree - baggage for a list of proscribed items. They are not anticipating or looking for threats. There is nothing in the works to address a comprehensive aviation security plan that is futurist, anticipative, and which identifies and addresses the entire range of logical threats."

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Jan 20, 2003, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Argggh! Why do people keep complaining about Norman Mineta. Later this week, the Department of Homeland Security opens its doors. On March 1, the TSA becomes part of that new department, leaving the Department of Transportation.

Norman Mineta is the Secretary of Transportation, but beginning March 1, he will have NOTHING to do with airport security. Complain about Tom Ridge if you like, but Mineta will soon be out of the security business. Complaining about him is pointless.

Bruce
Old Jan 20, 2003, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
Argggh! Why do people keep complaining about Norman Mineta. Later this week, the Department of Homeland Security opens its doors. On March 1, the TSA becomes part of that new department, leaving the Department of Transportation.

Norman Mineta is the Secretary of Transportation, but beginning March 1, he will have NOTHING to do with airport security. Complain about Tom Ridge if you like, but Mineta will soon be out of the security business. Complaining about him is pointless.

Bruce
</font>
Regardless of who is responsible, the message in the article rings very true.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I agree with the basic thrust of the article, but I don't see why they have to personalize it with respect to Norman Mineta. He's about to become irrelevant, if he isn't already.

Bruce
Old Jan 20, 2003, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
Sadly, the reason they have to is because they need to have an enemy to personalize their "fight" against, in order to drum up consulting business and who-knows-what-else from those easily led around by propoganda.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 8:50 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Bruce,

Norman Mineta initiated most of these stupid rules. While the onus is on Loy to repeal them, the blame for their inception still falls squarely on the shoulders of Norm. He deserves to be remembered for all the abuse he inflicted on the traveling public.

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Jan 20, 2003, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have followed the TSA's every move right from the start, and clearly -- to me, anyway -- Magaw is a MUCH bigger villain than Mineta. Mineta is kinda dumb (and beyond kinda old), but Magaw is a reasonable facsimile of a fascist. I was thrilled to see him fired.

Bruce
Old Jan 20, 2003, 8:54 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL Silver, TSA Harassee
I gotta agfree with Spiff. "Moron" Minetta's legacy will be his implementation of the TSA.

He took a bad piece of legislation and managed to screw up the implementation far worse than anybody could have thought.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
I have followed the TSA's every move right from the start, and clearly -- to me, anyway -- Magaw is a MUCH bigger villain than Mineta. Mineta is kinda dumb (and beyond kinda old), but Magaw is a reasonable facsimile of a fascist. I was thrilled to see him fired.

Bruce
</font>
Fired, by his boss, Norman Y. Mineta.

Spiff is right: Many of the truly stupid rules were written by Moron Norm, and although Loy deserves some credit for standing up to his idiot boss and repealing some of them, that doesn't absolve Norm of the blame.

What does the organizational chart for HS look like? Does Loy report to Ridge now?
Old Jan 20, 2003, 9:10 pm

"Mineta's Vacuum"... Could be the name of the next Tony (tm) award-winning Broadway musical!
Old Jan 20, 2003, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Loy will report to Ridge beginning March 1. Although Mineta fired Magaw, I have reason to believe that the firing was instigated by the White House. Mineta should not get credit for it.

Bruce
Old Jan 20, 2003, 10:29 pm

Let's talk about leadership for a moment shall we. I just finished watching a special on Teddy Roosevelt and the differnce between guys like him, norn mineta, and the Republicrats can be summed up by reviewing Teddy's words as he led the charge up San Juan Hill.

He turned to his troops and said "Follow Me" and he took a leadership role under withering fire. So to sum it up

Managers say "Sound the Charge!"
Leaders say "Follow Me!"

Now which do you think we have more of in Congress, government agencys and state houses?

And since less than 50% of the eligble voters actually vote, do we get the government we deserve. Don't be to harsh on the TSA, afterall they are merely a reflection of our expectations and tolerance of the Federal Government. Like in business you get what you pay for and in government you get what you vote for.

Don't blame me I voted Libertarian the last 10 elections.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 12:23 am

Under Secretary for Border and Transportation Security:

President Bush has announced that he intends to nominate DEA Administrator Asa Hutchinson as Under Secretary for Border and Transportation Security.

http://www.dhs.gov/employees/index.cfm?fuseaction=Lead

It doesn't appear that Loy will be any part of the DHS. The DOT and any party included will have no say in the future of the TSA after March 1 (theoretically speaking).

Loy will report to Ridge beginning March 1. Although Mineta fired Magaw, I have reason to believe that the firing was instigated by the White House. Mineta should not get credit for it.

Bruce
</font>
Old Jan 21, 2003, 6:40 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tmspa:
It doesn't appear that Loy will be any part of the DHS. The DOT and any party included will have no say in the future of the TSA after March 1 (theoretically speaking).

</font>
That division of the DHS also includes The U.S. Customs SErvice, The Immigration and Naturalization Service, The Federal Protective Service, Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, and the Office for Domestic Preparedness. Seems like a lot for one person to come in and take over to me. I would hope that some of the persons currently in charge of the individual agencies would maintain their postions and just be transferred to the DHS with the transition. I haven't followed this at all though, so I really can only speculate. Bruce, would have you heard?

[This message has been edited by tazi (edited 01-21-2003).]
Old Jan 21, 2003, 8:57 am

Loy will most definetely be staying on. I posted a new thread with the information I found so as not to get this one completely off topic. Here's a link to the thread with the link:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/005688.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.