Wiki Posts
Search

Book galapagos trip/cruise?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2002, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXPLT, BA Gold, Shang Elite
Book galapagos trip/cruise?

I posted the question in the "travel/s.america" but apparently it is too fragmented and not many people goes there

my question is:
what are the good ways to book a Galapagos cruise/trip?
i will fly into Quito myself, and would need
1. galapagos cruise
2. fly to Batra
3. accomodation in Quito if there is

i was given a few sites/links in the "niche" forum
http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/000007.html
there are plenty of good informations but i didnt get reply from those .com's (perhaps they became dormant already)

has anyone made such booking via web/email?
(i have followed suggestion from the above link for metropolitan, but haven't got response yet)

[This message has been edited by pegasus8228 (edited 01-04-2002).]
Old Jan 4, 2002, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Marriott Platinum
We were on a galapagos cruise when 9/11 happened. I had purchased an AA vacation tour through my discount travel agent (http://www.cheapertravel.com/), but AA had just sub contracted with Metropolitan touring (largest in Equador) at www.metropolitan-touring.com. Metropolitan performed magnificantly during the emergency. In fact I have never had a travel company respond as well. I cannot say enough good things about them.
I was stuck in Equador for 4 extra days and they arranged everthing well and at reasonably prices.
If I were doing it again, I would just go directly to Metropolitan.
Old Jan 4, 2002, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA
You can find some useful info at
www.discovergalapagos.com

My wife in interested in a vacation there for us, and I too am seeking info. Let us know what you find out!

Bob
Old Jan 4, 2002, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
A recent article (perhaps in The Atlantic Monthly) describes vacationing in the Galapagos while not on a cruise. There is a town with hotel(s) on at least one of the islands.

I remember that it describes the islands as the last bit of land for trans-Pacific sailors, so many of them hang around awhile getting their boats fixed up and their courage re-inforced before setting out in their sail boats. They make for interesting conversation at the local bars.

------------------
Middle_Seat
Old Jan 4, 2002, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

thanks so much

i have yet to hear from metropolitan respnse via the cyber-path. i should try the more traditional fax/phone a bit later then.

rogodwin,
how much did it cost for your trip? (just that i can estimate). thanks

[This message has been edited by pegasus8228 (edited 01-04-2002).]
Old Jan 5, 2002, 6:08 am

General rule is price of standard "8 day" (really 1 wk, 6 nite) cruise when booked from US is 4x; when booked in Quito 2x; when booked in Puerto Ayora 1x. (Baltra is just a small island holding the airstrip.)

There are 4 levels: luxury; superior; tourist; and economy. Don't even think about the economy! The higher class you go, the less flexible they will be on "last-minute" pricing.

Amazonas in Quito is lined w/ travel agents. Despite claims to the contrary, they are all selling the from the same inventory. They will also book your flight (no discounts ever available), which tend to be full because of agent block booking. If you get a cruise booking, you will get a plane seat.

It is possible to go out to the islands and wait for an opening, but the higher end boats are less likely to be available. There really aren't any empty cabins because the operators trade pax to make sure each boat is full and tell the shifted pax that the boat they booked is in "emergency repairs." It is also possible to stay on island and take day ferrys, but it is a consideraby inferior experience. If you are going all way out, might as well do the real deal. Also, acommodations in PA very limited and basic.

Price guide (in Quito): tourist class $600; superior $1000; airfare $300-350 (seasonal); park entry fee $100. Except for airfare, there is a 10% surcharge for using credit cards. Unless you are fairly rugged, go for superior (guides and equip better, too).
Old Jan 5, 2002, 8:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, Eurobonus Silver
Pegaus

My wife and I went on the Andado back in Sept.2001 and found them very professional.

Check them out on http://www.angermeyercruises.com/

Galapagos was amazing, between us we took about 500 pictures (see some here: http://www.jupeter.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Ecuador.htm)

Hope you will have nice trip.

Jupeter
Old Jan 5, 2002, 9:30 am
Original Poster

thanks rb and jupeter!

i really hope i can go this time! galapagos had been my dream for many years....

my main concern is that since i have planned for only 9 full days in ecuador, i want to make sure i have a good week spnet in the legendary achepaelagos.
i thought it would not be a good idea to find the tour after i arrive at Quito (i would like to at least have some contact and make sure i can get on some boat, and the plane to the islands)

it seems that the pricing varies on who(where) you book with, and there seems to be plenty of choices. the price also seems not outrageous. i was worried about "last minute' price hike, so i "last minute bargain" is a surprise bonus i was not looking for
i don't mind spending a bit more if it helps to conserve this treasure

very likely i could even find something after i arrive at Quito, if i couldnt find any arranegment in advance. so i feel a bit more comfortable at going ahead now.

so taking your advices, i will
1. take some cash in USD
2. book via agents in Quito for superior class (or+)
3. perhaps spend 1-2 days in Quito

btw, i suppose there is daily flight from Quito-Baltra? (i can't find baltra on itn or any common web sites, so i suppose it is a chartered flight, i.e. not with OAG/IATA). and the flight leaves Quito in morning and comes back in evening? (what are the hours for these flights?)

p.s. peter, those pictures are magnificient! thanks!

[This message has been edited by pegasus8228 (edited 01-05-2002).]
Old Jan 5, 2002, 9:46 am

My husband and I had a wonderful experience in Quito and the Gallapagos with Wilderness Travel in Berkeley(wildernesstravel.com) Our package included Quito, Galapagos(Andando, which is a wonderful boat) all transportation to and from, all airport transfers, etc. Very easy, one contact kind of trip and they did a fantastic job with everything!
Old Jan 6, 2002, 10:05 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum, AA
I highly, highly recommend the tour company Inca Floats (they tend to work with AA, but you book through the company.)
Old Jan 8, 2002, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Marriott Platinum
Pegasus8228

Sorry to be so slow responding. My cost for 2 was $4014 plus airfare to and from Equador . I selected the Galapagos Explorer II because it was the largest ship and my wife gets sea sick. The costs included 4 cruise nights, 2 nights in Quito and 1 night in Guayaquill. Breakfasts and two local Equador tours were included along with airfare to and from the Galapagos.
Everthing was included on the cruise.
Old Jan 11, 2002, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

thx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.