Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting Encounter at IAH

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2017, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerguy99
As I understand the policy (DoD employee), if a US traveller is carrying classified material in a designated, sealed courier container, and holding a courier letter from their workplace security office, then CBP is not supposed to open the container. They can call the appropriate home office to verify the identity of the traveller and validity of their courier letter.

I've never had to carry a classified "live" device like a laptop or classified phone while travelling. But I would think rules would require those to also be in a secured container while in such a public setting, I know we're not even supposed to take a classified laptop out of the secured part of our building. Either way, I would imagine the courier status exception applies.

Government-owned electronic equipment other than classified courier material IS subject to CBP search. Since CBP is legitimate federal law enforcement, our guidance is that we are expected to cooperate with such requests while on official travel with government-owned equipment -- it's the US government searching its own property, after all.
I talked about what I believe is still current over on the thread about the JPL guy.

You're right. The courier letter should do the trick, including the 24/7 verification number if necessary. Fortunately, wide-spread improvements in JWICS and SIPRNET happened about the time the TSA was hatched which significantly reduced the possibility of a zealot deciding he or she was going to tear into your package of documents.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I was wondering which of our administrative federal state's law enforcement bodies are less legitimate than CBP?
Veterans Affairs police? Commerce Dept police? CIA police?

yes, they all exist.....
Old Feb 24, 2017, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Section 107

yes, they all exist.....
Commerce LE folks do a couple of really important functions:

NOAA Fisheries Office of Law Enforcement:

We protect marine fisheries, wildlife, and habitat by enforcing domestic laws, international treaties, and obligations to ensure these global resources are available for future generations to use and enjoy. We are the only federal law enforcement agency fully dedicated to the enforcement of federal fishery regulations. Our work supports NOAA Fisheries’ core mission mandates—maximizing productivity of sustainable fisheries and fishing communities and protection, recovery, and conservation of protected species.
...and...

Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) Export Enforcement:

EE consists of the Office of Export Enforcement (OEE), the Office of Enforcement Analysis (OEA), and the Office of Antiboycott Compliance (OAC). Together with BIS’s licensing officers and policy staff, EE employees apply their law enforcement and export control expertise to prevent and deter exports of the most sensitive items to illicit end-users and uses, to embargoed destinations, and to ensure that parties involved in U.S. commercial transactions do not engage in prohibited boycott activities.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Commerce LE folks do a couple of really important functions:

NOAA Fisheries Office of Law Enforcement:

...and...

Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) Export Enforcement:
I wasn't suggesting they are not important, just trying to point out some of the more obscure agencies.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium

yes, they all exist.....
A friend of mine got a ticket once from the Bureau and Engraving Police.

I don't know the current number, but there used to be 34 different law enforcement agencies in DC. I'm sure the number is higher now. Growing up, we all knew this personally. If you were white and had a drunken incident in Georgetown, usually Uniformed Secret Service would magically appear. If you were black, you got Metropolitan Police. Not be confused with Metro Transit Police, or the Postal Police, or the Park Service Police, or Capitol Police, or the Housing Authority Police, or any of the others. Getting busted by the Smithsonian Institute Police was particularly embarrassing. The Amtrak Police could be real buttheads too but they rarely appeared west of North Capitol St.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wasn't suggesting they are not important, just trying to point out some of the more obscure agencies.
Didn't come across that way. Go out there sometime with some of my friends and colleagues on nothing more than a Zodiac boat somewhere in the 200-mile economic exclusion zone dealing with armed Colombian illegal fishermen.

Old Feb 25, 2017, 4:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by fgirard
I know there is, I was just caught off guard at the time.
That's how they catch people. Your non verbal answer is often more important than your verbal. Many referrals to secondary are the result of how you respond, instead of what you say.

Employment/employer type questions are pretty standard at primary.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 4:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by chrisl137
I've had similar questions coming back from Canada, asked very casually and when I told him my employer he followed up with a semi-relevant question. It was at preclearance in Montreal and the agent in question had been very obviously chatty already even to the other agents so it didn't seem particularly odd. Boredom as much as anything, and in the days before there were kiosks so a live person had to at least look at every passport.

If they ask for access to something that would give them access to classified information I'd guess you should tell them "sorry, no, you need permission from DOE (or whoever)"
YUL should be noted for their habit of asking wild card/behaviour detecting style questions (i.e. when was the last time you sued a U.S. citizen?, have you ever ran for office?, who is this lady luck in LAS?).

You can learn a lot in terms of how well someone can carry on a conversation. Bona fide travellers would have no problem, those who can't need to be looked at more closely
Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I collect passport stamps, especially ones from POEs I don't have yet, and last year I asked the agent at the exit of the GE Area in BOS for a stamp. He wasn't saying anything to people but as soon as I asked for the stamp he asked me the first four questions the OP was asked. Kind of odd, if I was up to something you'd think I wouldn't draw attention to myself by talking to an agent.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
A few weeks ago there was an order given to ramp up secondary searches and be "stronger" at the border and ports of entry. It's still hard to figure out how that translates into specific numbers at this point, but you can bet that some CBP employees itching for excuses to further hassle passengers have gotten what they want and are doing so.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GUWonder
A few weeks ago there was an order given to ramp up secondary searches and be "stronger" at the border and ports of entry.
What's your source for this statement? I haven't heard that. I
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jphripjah
What's your source for this statement? I haven't heard that. I
Trump gave yet another public indication of that in a speech yesterday, and DHS/CBP sources have also privately confirmed before and after that along these lines: "not fake news, we got the message and already acted on it".

You're welcome to make of this what you wish, but they meant secondaries too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.