FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Protecting Electronic Devices and Stored Information from Customs Searches
Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:12 am
FliesWay2Much
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chenalex
Does your phone contain classified info though? I believe the NASA phone contained classified info, and I find it hard to believe that a federal employee is required to unlock a phone containing classified information on it. If anything, it might be unlawful to do so.
Although some have experimented with mobile devices capable of accessing classified government networks (such as the iPad used by the now-infamous General Cartwright), I am not aware of any ability for USG personnel to store, let alone travel overseas with, classified information on a mobile device. Even if such a device exists, I am 99% certain it would have to be carried in an approved pouch or container.

If anyone actually carries hard-copy classified materials on an airplane anymore, there are TSA-coordinated courier letters with a 24/7 phone number to call for verification. We are instructed to not permit any TSA (or other unauthorized person) to open the pouch.

Additional info: Here is the latest DoD Manual I could find related to hand-carrying of classified materials on a commercial flight. Pages 63-66 describe procedures people are to follow when carrying classified materials. There is a dire-straits procedure for opening the package if absolutely necessary at a customs checkpoint.

The opening procedures apply to foreign countries when you have no other option. I can't imagine a reason why someone would carry classified materials somewhere and not leave them at the destination, unless there was no capability to store or destroy the stuff when you were done. I can say that I never brought anything back to the U.S. I always left it at a secure facility at my destination.

Last edited by FliesWay2Much; Feb 24, 2017 at 6:24 am