Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Zealots at regional airports?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
TSA Zealots at regional airports?

Had the unique pleasure of flying out of Waco, TX (ACT) the other day. The airport has 2 gates in total, and I think the only major commercial flights are the EAAgle runs to/from DFW. It was first flight of the morning, going through security at around 0500, to a ER4 that holds, what, 50 ppl max, and I witnessed the most over the top screening scrutiny I may have ever seen.

6 people were "randomized" for add'l screening and were seated separately waiting for their turn. The dude two people ahead had his backpack pulled for secondary wood screening. He questioned the agent very politely about what caused his bag to be pulled so he could avoid it, and the agent was just a jackass about it, telling him it was random.

Sure enough, my backpack was "randomly" picked for add'l wipe screening too. And it wasn't even the one with my toiletries--which were in the suitcase that made it through without incident. I too asked why it was chosen and got the same attitude from the agent. When I pressed a second time to get more detail as to what flagged it, he says "That's all you need to know this morning." I have always been given a reason in the past, like a power cord was wedged oddly against something else, or there was an object that they weren't able to identify properly, but not here.

And the guy was unnecessarily "thorough" in his unpacking and examination of items. Pulled out protein bars and examined the wrappers, opened the Bose headphone case and actually flipped them out (if you have or have seen these, you can see the bottom of the case through the headphones), removed most of the items in the main pouch too. When he was done, he started to haphazardly toss things back in, which is when I said "I'll repack, thanks"

I have traveled the world with this exact packing configuration--I am methodical and consistent in my habits and what/how I pack, and part of the reason is to be able to minimize inicidents like this--so I just don't get why Waco Regional Airport TSA would take issue, especially to this extent?

Is it just Waco (I don't do a lot of regional hops so have nothing to compare it to)? Is it more common at smaller airports? Are they just bored? Maybe over-flexing their "muscle" to feel more important due to it being such an uninfluential player in the world of airports?

What a load of nonsense. All I could picture was the scenes in WreckIt Ralph with the surge protector stopping him all the time.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oneant
"I'll repack, thanks"
I don't think I would have added the word "thanks."
Old Dec 10, 2016, 10:31 am

Had the unique pleasure of flying out of Waco, TX (ACT) the other day. The airport has 2 gates in total, and I think the only major commercial flights are the EAAgle runs to/from DFW. It was first flight of the morning, going through security at around 0500, to a ER4 that holds, what, 50 ppl max, and I witnessed the most over the top screening scrutiny I may have ever seen.

6 people were "randomized" for add'l screening and were seated separately waiting for their turn. The dude two people ahead had his backpack pulled for secondary wood screening. He questioned the agent very politely about what caused his bag to be pulled so he could avoid it, and the agent was just a jackass about it, telling him it was random.

Sure enough, my backpack was "randomly" picked for add'l wipe screening too. And it wasn't even the one with my toiletries--which were in the suitcase that made it through without incident. I too asked why it was chosen and got the same attitude from the agent. When I pressed a second time to get more detail as to what flagged it, he says "That's all you need to know this morning." I have always been given a reason in the past, like a power cord was wedged oddly against something else, or there was an object that they weren't able to identify properly, but not here.

And the guy was unnecessarily "thorough" in his unpacking and examination of items. Pulled out protein bars and examined the wrappers, opened the Bose headphone case and actually flipped them out (if you have or have seen these, you can see the bottom of the case through the headphones), removed most of the items in the main pouch too. When he was done, he started to haphazardly toss things back in, which is when I said "I'll repack, thanks"

I have traveled the world with this exact packing configuration--I am methodical and consistent in my habits and what/how I pack, and part of the reason is to be able to minimize inicidents like this--so I just don't get why Waco Regional Airport TSA would take issue, especially to this extent?

Is it just Waco (I don't do a lot of regional hops so have nothing to compare it to)? Is it more common at smaller airports? Are they just bored? Maybe over-flexing their "muscle" to feel more important due to it being such an uninfluential player in the world of airports?

What a load of nonsense. All I could picture was the scenes in WreckIt Ralph with the surge protector stopping him all the time.
Nothing to do, bored and trying to feel relevant - it seems more common ast smaller airports.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:53 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Please let's get back on topic

This thread is about TSA security at regional and small airports.

Posts discussing security screening procedures and questions about organic matter which are not unique or exclusive to regional or small airports were moved to a new thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

I decided to submit a formal complaint to the TSA about the experience in Waco. Plain, no hyperbole, just the facts and how unprofessional the agent was. Even threw in a bit about how I respected their important function and how much-improved I think their services have been over the past few years (ok, so some hyperbole .

Their response:
Thank you for contacting the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Contact Center.

We regret the unprofessional treatment you experienced at our screening checkpoint. While transportation security is our top priority, we also seek to provide a high level of customer service to all who pass through our screening checkpoints. Our policies and procedures focus on ensuring that our Transportation Security Officers (TSOs) treat everyone with dignity, respect, and courtesy. If you encounter unprofessional behavior in the future, please request to speak with a Supervisory TSO immediately.

Since your complaint concerns a specific airport, we have forwarded a copy of your letter to the appropriate Customer Support Manager.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

TSA Contact Center
Old Dec 13, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: TSA
I decided to submit a formal complaint to the TSA about the experience in Waco. Plain, no hyperbole, just the facts and how unprofessional the agent was. Even threw in a bit about how I respected their important function and how much-improved I think their services have been over the past few years (ok, so some hyperbole .

Their response:
Holy crap! I have been preaching this to the PR team (both the ones I have contact with at HQ and the ones on the local level), that we could present a much better image in our responses to the public when they contact us. This message, while not providing you with an immediate resolution, gives you a personalized response. It is actually shorter than the canned responses they used to send out, and it provides a clear response to the complaint, that actually matches the complaint you submitted! I have had family members that submitted complaints about specific situations, and received those canned messages that had nothing to do with their situation at all. If this becomes the norm and it is consistent, this represents a step forward for the interactions of the organization and the public. @:-)
Old Dec 13, 2016, 4:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Wow. TSA has updated its form letters and twitter-bots!

That still doesn't mean I can fly with my nitro pills.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 4:13 pm

Did the response include a reference ID # for you to use in case you want to bring the subject up again?
Old Dec 13, 2016, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Did the response include a reference ID # for you to use in case you want to bring the subject up again?
In fact they did; it's in the subject line.

Originally Posted by gsoltso
...while not providing you with an immediate resolution...
I am just hopeful--but have no expectations--that this might make some other poor travelers experience at ACT airport better than mine that day.

I really do think the TSA has made big improvements over time, and 99% of my experiences with them are positive ones, especially with PreCheck access. If things were usually horrendous with them I wouldn't have bothered to tell them about it, but this stood out so seemed worth a note to let them know.

It would be just perfect if the offending TSO actually was the supervisor.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
..ignore my comment...
Old Dec 13, 2016, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Explorer789
Similar experience, but at ORD. I forgot about a can of soda in my backpack. The guy opened my backpack, pulled it out, holds it up with two fingers, and conversation goes like this:

Agent: "Hey, you can keep this, but you have to go back out drink this and then come back."
Me: "Does that mean I have to go through the line again?"
Agent: "Yes"
Me: "Then what's the point? You can have it if you want or just throw it out."
Agent: "Oh no, we can't have it"
Me: "Then throw it out."
Agent; "You sure? I mean, you can just go out and drink it?"
Me: "Yes throw it out"
Agent: Stood there puzzled for a second like I was being unreasonable.

Seriously, the 10 feet between where we was standing on the terminal side of the scanners and the line side of the scanners determines the lethalness of this can of soda. Great job TSA, I feel safer already.
When this has happened to me at European airports, I'm generally given the opportunity to guzzle as much as I can right there before surrendering my water/soda. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Somehow this never seems to hold up the line, either.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: TSA
In fact they did; it's in the subject line.

I am just hopeful--but have no expectations--that this might make some other poor travelers experience at ACT airport better than mine that day.

I really do think the TSA has made big improvements over time, and 99% of my experiences with them are positive ones, especially with PreCheck access. If things were usually horrendous with them I wouldn't have bothered to tell them about it, but this stood out so seemed worth a note to let them know.

It would be just perfect if the offending TSO actually was the supervisor.
I have had several conversations about accountability and how it has an impact on our standing in the communities we work in (especially at the smaller airports). I hear all week about how awesome it is to fly out of the smaller airports (not just mine, it seems to be a common comment for almost all of the smaller airports). I understand that the larger airports do not have the staffing to provide the more personal experience that my local folks get most of the time, but leaving here and going through somewhere like LGA, ATL or DFW only serves to reemphasize the differences. I love being able to take a little more time with the folks coming through, it makes it easier on them, and by extension, easier on my coworkers and me.

Back on topic, I really hope this marks a bit of a turn in our public engagement. Our Instagram (seriously, our Instagram account is earning all sorts of kudos right now) is earning a niche in the social media world. Many of our other social media outreach programs are working better for our passengers, and (on the back end) for our employees. The more we focus some of our resources on communicating effectively (and that requires a willingness to embrace new forms of communication like social media), the better it will get for our passengers. I have family members that send me messages on social media apps asking about what they can and can't bring - 10-15 years ago, they would never have even thought to call about it. I hope that these small changes are the leading edge of better help for our passengers.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 5:02 pm

Why doesn't your family use Ask TSA and the website for answers, the way pax not related to TSOs have to do?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 3:50 pm

Similar experience at smaller airports. Some of the most 'dedicated' staff I've had were at BFL and YQZ which are both very small (the latter had 5 staff clearing people for a B1900)
Old Dec 19, 2016, 4:40 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
This is definitely a thing at smaller airports. TOL, DBQ, SPI all come to mind with repeatable over the top screening incidents that I've experienced. I have a toolkit I travel with that is always dissected at TOL - by the same clerks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.