Wiki Posts
Search

Organic Matter

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2016, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Organic Matter

Pulled out protein bars and examined the wrappers
Out of curiosity, had you been asked if you had anything organic in your carry-on, how would you have answered? I've read of more than a handful of people (including Mr. Vanderklok) being asked that question*, answering "no" never considering the protein bars to be organic and then being threatened and subjected to the whole shebang because their response was "not truthful".

Organic matter

Then he was asked if his bag contained "organic matter." Vanderklok said no, as he thought "organic matter" meant fruits or vegetables....

But the TSA's Charles Kieser took issue with Vanderklok's suggestion: that agents make it a bit more clear what "organic matter" entails. Keiser decided Vanderklok didn't appreciate the severity of the situation (that situation being, apparently, that the TSA makes suggestions, not the other way around)
*There seemed to be a spate of "organic matter" questions for a while and I wondered if this was designed purposefully so that screeners could do more invasive screenings, knowing most people would answer "no".

File a complaint with the DHS IG: https://www.oig.dhs.gov/hotline/hotline.php
Old Dec 10, 2016, 2:07 pm

After 6 pleasant months in Thailand some Customs <redacted> at LAX freaked
out over some Thai beach sand at the bottom of my backpack,
insisting it was "organic" until his colleague told him to shut up.
What's the obsession over organic matter, anyway? I don't get it.
I think these guys have watched too many CSI shows...<redacted>

Last edited by TWA884; Dec 10, 2016 at 2:31 pm Reason: Terms/generalizations not used in this forum; please refer to sticky post (Please Read: Important Information)
Old Dec 10, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Out of curiosity, had you been asked if you had anything organic in your carry-on, how would you have answered? I've read of more than a handful of people (including Mr. Vanderklok) being asked that question*, answering "no" never considering the protein bars to be organic and then being threatened and subjected to the whole shebang because their response was "not truthful".

Organic matter

*There seemed to be a spate of "organic matter" questions for a while and I wondered if this was designed purposefully so that screeners could do more invasive screenings, knowing most people would answer "no".

File a complaint with the DHS IG: https://www.oig.dhs.gov/hotline/hotline.php
An example of the integrity of TSA clerks in general can be found in the TSA blog's response to Vanderklok's acquittal (on the ground that the [perjured] testimony of the TSA clerk, even if true, did not give evidence of a crime), and his suit against the TSA over the false arrest:

http://blog.tsa.gov/2015/02/response...arrest-at.html

Excerpt:

Our officers examining the X-ray of a passenger’s carry-on bag saw a PVC pipe capped at both ends with unidentified items, including something that looked like a watch, placed inside. They also saw batteries and an unidentified organic mass in the same bag. Components of a possible improvised explosive device? If you were the officers, what would you do? Based on the items in the carry-on bag and interaction with the passenger, they contacted the Philadelphia Police Department. A responding PPD officer decided to place the passenger under arrest. TSA screening personnel do not have the legal authority to place any passenger under arrest and they did not do so in this case.
Mr. Vanderklok was arrested on January 26, 2013 on a charge (supported by a perjured statement) of making terroristic threats, and was only released 23 hours later, after posting $40,000 bond. The TSA Blog post, which came two years after the arrest, and after the acquittal and suit, avoided mentioning the acquittal and tried to make the arrest appear legitimate. This behavior shows both the clumsiness and the dishonesty of the members of the TSA blog team. And the OP's experience, really, is an instance of corruption. The TSA clerk used his position for personal reasons - he took actions that were directed not toward providing security, but only to abuse a passenger, or to make himself feel important - who knows. This is the same fundamental lack of integrity that infects the TSA blog, and such wasting of time and focus on issues other than correct, courteous screening, is the reason that the TSA misses 95% of all weapons presented at checkpoints.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 2:42 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Organic matter
Everyone has organic matter with them in their bags. Books are made of paper. Many things are packaged in cardboard. Any liquid in the 3-1-1 bag probably has some amount of dissolved organic matter.

But back to the topic of this thread, I've flown out of several smaller airports and I've noticed a couple of them have had stricter-than-normal security checks, probably due to the lack of passengers and the agents trying to justify their own jobs. They don't feel the pressure to keep the lines moving like at larger hubs. But there are certainly many smaller airports where this doesn't happen.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbn42
Everyone has organic matter with them in their bags. Books are made of paper. Many things are packaged in cardboard. Any liquid in the 3-1-1 bag probably has some amount of dissolved organic matter.

But back to the topic of this thread, I've flown out of several smaller airports and I've noticed a couple of them have had stricter-than-normal security checks, probably due to the lack of passengers and the agents trying to justify their own jobs. They don't feel the pressure to keep the lines moving like at larger hubs. But there are certainly many smaller airports where this doesn't happen.
Of course they do, but when TSA asks if they have anything organic in your bag, most people are going to think of some kind of fruit or plant material, not books or granola bars.

I'd wager that most screeners don't have a clue what organic matter is and if the traveler answered "yes" and went on to list all the organic items in his/her bag, there would be trouble big time at the checkpoint, with threats of arrests or fines.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
If they ask about 'organic' matter, I'm going to ask 'what do you mean by organic'?

If you ask me anywhere besides the checkpoint if I have anything 'organic', I automatically assume you mean 'organic' food/products. If I have a non-organic apple and a Snickers bar, I wouldn't answer 'yes'.

If TSA asks me, I answer the same way I do when they ask me if I have anything sharp in my bag: not that I can think of.

After all, I usually have books and papers in my bag. I have sustained a few nasty paper cuts over the years when I happened to reach into my own bag the wrong way. I've even cut myself on the edge of my home-printed BP. Paper cuts on finger tips are not only nasty, they could get me arrested at the check point if I failed to declare the sharp-edged paper in my bag.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course they do, but when TSA asks if they have anything organic in your bag, most people are going to think of some kind of fruit or plant material, not books or granola bars.

I'd wager that most screeners don't have a clue what organic matter is and if the traveler answered "yes" and went on to list all the organic items in his/her bag, there would be trouble big time at the checkpoint, with threats of arrests or fines.
In today's world the term organic can mean different things. At the grocers one apple may be organic and another not. Perhaps TSA should ask the question in another way.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by cbn42
Everyone has organic matter with them in their bags.
The non metal components in a bag are made of plastic and man made fabric, which are made from oil, which makes the entire bag itself "organic" from the chemistry definition of "contains carbon."
nancypants and altabello like this.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you have to take high school chemistry for a GED?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by yandosan
After 6 pleasant months in Thailand some Customs <redacted> at LAX freaked
out over some Thai beach sand at the bottom of my backpack,
insisting it was "organic" until his colleague told him to shut up.
What's the obsession over organic matter, anyway? I don't get it.
I think these guys have watched too many CSI shows...<redacted>
Not that I in any way agree with this TSA ridiculousness, and I would have reacted similarly in your shoes - but as an aside, the sand at some beaches can consist heavily of calcium carbonate from ground up shells. Still, a TSA clerk shouldn't be claiming to know the composition of a given bit of sand, much less hassling you about it.

Originally Posted by chollie
If they ask about 'organic' matter, I'm going to ask 'what do you mean by organic'?
Seems like a reasonable response to their silly question.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Organic matter?

My backpack is primarily nylon. That's derived from oil--it's organic.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Organic in a chemistry sense refers to carbon compounds (with some exceptions). So, anything made from anything that ever lived is organic. Are you wearing wool? Cotton? Linen? Leather? Are you carrying coffee? You, of course, are organic.

I was coming back from a diving vacation and everything in my camera bag was swabbed and then everything was taken apart and examined. The TSA person said that the swabs had revealed "unexpected organic results".
Old Dec 12, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
... which makes the entire bag itself "organic" from the chemistry definition of "contains carbon."
Originally Posted by manneca
Organic in a chemistry sense refers to carbon compounds (with some exceptions). So, anything made from anything that ever lived is organic.
Oh, great, bring actual science into the argument and confuse everyone.

In TSA land, "organic" is one of those words (like "respect" or "voluntary") that they just say without really knowing what it means.

My office cafeteria once stocked a brand of (unflavored) bottled water labeled "Organic H20". After a bunch of scientifically literate staff said "oooh, yuck, I'm not drinking that!" and explained what organic meant, the cafeteria switched to a different brand.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 12:24 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
My office cafeteria once stocked a brand of (unflavored) bottled water labeled "Organic H20". After a bunch of scientifically literate staff said "oooh, yuck, I'm not drinking that!"...
I wouldn't drink "organic H-twenty" either
Old Dec 13, 2016, 4:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Oh, great, bring actual science into the argument and confuse everyone.

In TSA land, "organic" is one of those words (like "respect" or "voluntary") that they just say without really knowing what it means.

My office cafeteria once stocked a brand of (unflavored) bottled water labeled "Organic H20". After a bunch of scientifically literate staff said "oooh, yuck, I'm not drinking that!" and explained what organic meant, the cafeteria switched to a different brand.
Jet fuel is organic. Need those hydrocarbons to get me around. When will we see "USDA organic" jet fuel at an airport near us soon? Maybe after the turf wars -- or is it tarmac wars??? -- the DHS can regulate that too.

The country -- and the world -- has an education and labor market deficit/dynamic that shows up in various ways at airports too. This is just one way. But the audience for these questions is also part of the issue, since colloquialial vernacular and scientific language are separated by a deep chasm in some ways.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 13, 2016 at 4:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.