Search

TSA and Breast Milk: AGAIN!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

TSA Breast Milk Bandits Strike Again

https://www.yahoo.com/style/1-dad-ts...162500600.html

One dad who recently went through airport security with his wife and 9-month-old child has an important question for TSA after they discarded his wife's breast milk: "Wondering why mother's milk was tossed by TSA and why they considered it 'dangerous' when we had passed though security several times with milk and had no problem before."
DFW this time. What's with TSA's fetish with breast milk?

The brilliant TSA screener wouldn't even let the child have the bottle to consume the milk on the spot.

Time for a Passengers Bill of Rights!
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
https://www.yahoo.com/style/1-dad-ts...162500600.html

DFW this time. What's with TSA's fetish with breast milk?

The brilliant TSA screener wouldn't even let the child have the bottle to consume the milk on the spot.

Time for a Passengers Bill of Rights!
I got a pat down by an agent (very professional, mind you)
I'm sick & tired of people calling the sexual assault perpetrated at checkpoints and those who perform them to be "professional."

Last edited by FliesWay2Much; Aug 3, 2017 at 9:00 pm
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I sick & tired of people calling the sexual assault perpetrated at checkpoints and those who perform them to be "professional."
I've noticed that TSA has stopped calling TSA screeners a highly trained, professional workforce. Wonder why it took so long for TSA to figure that out.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:47 pm

Currently watching @TSA make a new mom cry at #ORD airport bc she didn't want to open her breast milk bags. Terrible.

and yet another one:

@RonPaul @RandPaul Thank you @TSA for destroying our infant formula before a 14 hour flight and bringing my wife and children to tears #TSA

Last edited by petaluma1; Aug 3, 2017 at 6:47 pm
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
So what does TSA do these days if an object -- e.g., a bottle or bag of breast milk -- alarms the ETD? In addition to the inevitable extensive property and personal search, is the specific object automatically banned regardless of what it is?

Even if it's obviously food for a baby? That's what this case sounds like, and they even refused to let the kid drink it on the spot.

Or something else medically necessary? Or a $1000+ laptop?

That seems like one of the root problems here -- TSA/TSOs don't seem to understand that the ETD technology should be an input for where to look for issues, not a black-and-white determination if something should be confiscated.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
The screener isn't obligated to allow an item through, even if it passes all tests. Screeners can deny any item without a specific reason.

Screeners have been trained to be particularly suspicious of opaque liquids/gels because even if they are in a clear container and pass an ETD test, they allegedly could conceal hidden dangerous items - maybe a 3" knife or a miniature gun, for example. This is why it is impossible to 'clear' a jar of peanut butter and why screeners stick their fingers in cremains: think of all the dangerous items that could be concealed by the peanut butter (or breast milk or cremains) that could be used to take control of an aircraft.

Makes you wonder how they clear cakes and muffins without breaking them up to be sure there's no hidden weapon inside like the jail-breakers used to do.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by studentff
So what does TSA do these days if an object -- e.g., a bottle or bag of breast milk -- alarms the ETD? In addition to the inevitable extensive property and personal search, is the specific object automatically banned regardless of what it is?

Even if it's obviously food for a baby? That's what this case sounds like, and they even refused to let the kid drink it on the spot.

Or something else medically necessary? Or a $1000+ laptop?

That seems like one of the root problems here -- TSA/TSOs don't seem to understand that the ETD technology should be an input for where to look for issues, not a black-and-white determination if something should be confiscated.
TSA's ETD testing machines have a 100% false positive rate. Why these flawed devices are even allowed demonstrates how our of touch with reality TSA really is.

To deprive an infant of mothers milk is the mark of true mental midgets of which TSA seems well staffed.

In the end, Sreeners Discretion!
Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
It doesn't really make sense though, does it?

A pumpkin pie or a birthday cake is 'generally' allowed through at the screener's discretion.

If the xray can penetrate pumpkin pies or birthday cakes to ensure that there isn't a large knife or explosives concealed inside, then I don't understand why the xrays can't penetrate a clear bottle of breast milk or a jar of peanut butter.

If the xrays can't penetrate pumpkin pies and birthday cakes, then why is TSA putting themselves and the flying public at risk by allowing these items through? The most intimate grope in the world and an ETD test aren't likely to reveal the presence of a large knife concealed in a pumpkin pie, and it seems to me that it's easier to conceal a large dangerous object in a pumpkin pie or a birthday cake than in a container of breast milk.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:14 am

TSA's ETD testing machines have a 100% false positive rate. Why these flawed devices are even allowed demonstrates how our of touch with reality TSA really is.

To deprive an infant of mothers milk is the mark of true mental midgets of which TSA seems well staffed.

In the end, Sreeners Discretion!
It's quite interesting that the TSA dogs don't seem to alarm on glycerin in handcream/soap or nitrogen from fertilizer but the machines do.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:57 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Reminder!
Originally Posted by TWA884
Please let's get on topic, which is: TSA and Breast Milk.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
If you wish to discuss ETD testing, TSA dogs, screener's discretion, etc., when not directly relevant to breast milk, please post in one of the existing threads on those topics or start a new one.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Aug 5, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

TSA's War on Breast Milk Continues

https://www.yahoo.com/style/tsa-agen...164500091.html

TSA Agents Throwing Out 1 Moms Breast Milk Isnt Even the Worst Part of Her Story

After continuing to wait for security to check the two three-ounce bottles of milk, Stacie said that she asked to speak to a supervisor while the rest of her family waited at the gate. "It almost felt like they were being vindictive at that point . . . almost a power trip or something and I don't know if they weren't trained properly with how to test it," she said. "And I had asked TSA, I said, 'Can you guys just check it because I have to get on the flight.' Like I'm my child's source of food . . . so I have to be on the same flight, otherwise we don't have a way to feed him," she told Wood TV.
And the bottles were less than 100 ml.
Things have gone past stupid to criminal in my opinion yet the public has nowhere to turn. Congress is impotent, DHS is part of the problem, TSA seems to have lost all control, and Public Rights groups seem unwilling to step up and lead the way.

What a sorry state of affairs for free people to have to put up with.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.yahoo.com/style/tsa-agen...164500091.html

TSA Agents Throwing Out 1 Moms Breast Milk Isnt Even the Worst Part of Her Story

And the bottles were less than 100 ml.
Things have gone past stupid to criminal in my opinion yet the public has nowhere to turn. Congress is impotent, DHS is part of the problem, TSA seems to have lost all control, and Public Rights groups seem unwilling to step up and lead the way.

What a sorry state of affairs for free people to have to put up with.
Of course, the TSA spokesholes said they followed procedures and then blamed her for arriving late:

According to ABC Action News, TSA said in an emailed statement that the "officers working at the checkpoint correctly followed all procedures." They also said that Stacie passed through the metal detectors 12 minutes before her flight's departure.
I really thought this was a bump-forward of the Stacey Armato harassment. Maybe this Stacie should sue as well.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Of course, the TSA spokesholes said they followed procedures and then blamed her for arriving late:

I really thought this was a bump-forward of the Stacey Armato harassment. Maybe this Stacie should sue as well.
From the link in post #86 .

According to Stacie, she and her family arrived at St. Pete-Clearwater International airport an hour and a half before their flight home to Michigan, but TSA officials stopped them because of her two bottles of breast milk.
Flies, can you post a link to the TSA response?

Link I asked Flies about.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/lo...er-breast-milk

I also see that this story originates from April 2017.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Aug 5, 2017 at 9:47 pm Reason: added info
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:09 pm

Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
quoted so everyone sees the link.
From the twitter post:

"Those bags of milk should NOT be sitting on table where God-knows what else has been placed there."

The tool case that I drag trough oily, greasy, dirty factories from coast to coast gets its time on the same tables. I have never seen them even wipe it down after they finish with my bag. And not to be too disgusting, people do not leave their roller bags outside the the restrooms or carry them in and out either. They roll them along floors that have just been mopped with strong chemicals or sprayed for vermin or insects overnight.

I work in food processing plants and there are very serious regulations for the handling of food and its containers. This meets none of them.

This may be dangerous treatment in addition to rude and inconsiderate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.