FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   TSA and Breast Milk: AGAIN!! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1803327-tsa-breast-milk-again.html)

Boggie Dog Nov 19, 2016 9:45 am

TSA and Breast Milk: AGAIN!!

Seems TSA has failed once again in teaching its employees TSA screening policies for breast milk.

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/creepy-...144833718.html

Another young mother has been embarrassed by a TSA screener. Fortunately this time there was another TSA screener who finally stepped up and corrected the situation.

​He grabbed it and after I told him what was inside, he asked me where my baby was because “I don’t think you can bring this on without your baby present.” Uhhh, what?
And if that isn't enough, on the same page is a video where an airline employee takes a mother to a pet relief area to pump.

chollie Nov 19, 2016 10:23 am

I wonder if this TSO is a new-hire (who will have been through 'academy' training before being allowed to work the checkpoint) or an old-timer who may or may not have been re-trained at the 'academy'.

Key issue: he clearly wasn't sure what the rules were. Instead of interrupting another TSO's cellphone or private chatter or looking for an LTSO or STSO to find out what the answer is, he just started making things up on the spot.

There was a TSA puff-piece not long ago that featured a 2-year-employee who is a trainer. I'm paraphrasing, but the upshot of his comments was "Ima hear you out, but Ima confiscate your stuff anyway".

That perfectly described what happened to this woman and what still happens every day. Screener doesn't know rules, screener defaults to making up lies and confiscating.

All under the watchful eyes of multiple TSOs, LTSOs, and STSOs, most of whom never say a word.

^^^^^ to the female screener who 'saw something' and 'said something'. I thought this was supposed to be part of an LTSO or STSO's duties, but apparently not, because I only ever see them clustered to one side, shooting the breeze with each other when they're not showing each other things on their cellphones.

BSBD Nov 19, 2016 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 27501621)
Seems TSA has failed once again n teaching its employees TSA screening policies for breast milk.

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/creepy-...144833718.html

Sadly, the comments section for this story is filled with hundreds of remarks from people who think this woman was wrong, and the TSA agent who harassed her was right.

As long as Joe and Jane Public think that getting harassed by petty bureaucrats is ok, TSA's behavioral problems will continue.

Boggie Dog Nov 19, 2016 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by BSBD (Post 27502437)
Sadly, the comments section for this story is filled with hundreds of remarks from people who think this woman was wrong, and the TSA agent who harassed her was right.

As long as Joe and Jane Public thinkt that getting harassed by petty bureaucrats is ok, TSA's behavioral problems will continue.

Admit I had not read any comments. The few I just read are disappointing, to say the least, and demonstrates just how little the public knows about TSA screening policies.

Bottom line, neither the public or TSA screeners understand the screening rules.

chollie Nov 19, 2016 3:51 pm

I'm willing to bet that at least 50% of the commenters have never set foot on a plane. They just sit in their darkened little basements, googling words like 'breast feeding' to spew their ignorance and bile.

They're the same ones that would scream the loudest if an LGBT-looking screener knelt to 'pat' their groin and stroke their buttocks. They'd completely lose it if they got the butt-crack dip.

Unfortunately, some of the other 50% probably work for TSA.

Boggie Dog Nov 19, 2016 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 27502711)
I'm willing to bet that at least 50% of the commenters have never set foot on a plane. They just sit in their darkened little basements, googling words like 'breast feeding' to spew their ignorance and bile.

They're the same ones that would scream the loudest if an LGBT-looking screener knelt to 'pat' their groin and stroke their buttocks. They'd completely lose it if they got the butt-crack dip.

What does a LGBT-looking screener look like?

chollie Nov 19, 2016 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 27502826)
What does a LGBT-looking screener look it?

Just like you and me, but IME, the clowns who post hogwash about breast-feeding mothers (while obsessively trying to snatch a peep of the very thing they claim to be so offended by) are generally people who think they have infallible 'gaydar'.

Himeno Nov 20, 2016 2:51 am

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 27501749)
I wonder if this TSO is a new-hire (who will have been through 'academy' training before being allowed to work the checkpoint) or an old-timer who may or may not have been re-trained at the 'academy'.

Key issue: he clearly wasn't sure what the rules were. Instead of interrupting another TSO's cellphone or private chatter or looking for an LTSO or STSO to find out what the answer is, he just started making things up on the spot.

There are many rules that many TSOs don't know.

At one of the TSA checkpoints I went though this trip (JFK T1, JFK T8, DFW A, DFW D, PDX, LAX T4, DCA, DTW), don't remember which one, think it was DTW or DFW, when I told the TSO at the WTMD that I couldn't hold my arms up, she called for the hand ETD swab, when 3 nearby TSOs all said that they thought what was meant to happen in that case was different. All 3 had different ideas about what was meant to happen.

petaluma1 Nov 20, 2016 6:05 am

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 27502711)

I concluded a number higher than 50% for never having set foot on an airplane or been through a TSA line.

petaluma1 Nov 20, 2016 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Himeno (Post 27504224)
There are many rules that many TSOs don't know.

At one of the TSA checkpoints I went though this trip (JFK T1, JFK T8, DFW A, DFW D, PDX, LAX T4, DCA, DTW), don't remember which one, think it was DTW or DFW, when I told the TSO at the WTMD that I couldn't hold my arms up, she called for the hand ETD swab, when 3 nearby TSOs all said that they thought what was meant to happen in that case was different. All 3 had different ideas about what was meant to happen.

One wishes one could shake one's head while saying "unbelievable" but sadly that is not the case.

chollie Nov 20, 2016 6:46 am

"Screener discretion".

gobluetwo Nov 22, 2016 7:55 am

Originally Posted by BSBD (Post 27502437)
Sadly, the comments section for this story...

Your first mistake was reading the comments section of a public "news" source. This is a mistake, whether it's Yahoo news, ESPN, or the NYT. Unless you enjoy engaging in meaningless and contentious debate for the sake of being "right."

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png

BSBD Nov 23, 2016 3:31 am

Originally Posted by gobluetwo (Post 27513465)
Your first mistake was reading the comments section of a public "news" source. This is a mistake, whether it's Yahoo news, ESPN, or the NYT. Unless you enjoy engaging in meaningless and contentious debate for the sake of being "right."

Speaking of mistakes and the need to be "right"... :)

Not sure how merely reading the comments is, "engaging in meaningless and contentious debate."

petaluma1 Apr 8, 2017 6:04 am

At airport searching for ice after @tsa confiscated ice pack for #breastmilk. Furious. #tsaNotFamilyFriendly
4:46 AM - 8 Apr 2017

Second or third time recently that I have read of TSA taking ice packs meant to keep breast milk cool.

Later post from same person:

Thanks to @Starbucks for giving me a bag of ice to keep my #breastmilk cold while traveling.

petaluma1 Apr 24, 2017 2:40 pm

TSA at JFK denies woman's breast milk

@TSA why did the TSA supervisor tell me I couldn't bring this breast milk through security at JFK??
And here's another confiscation of food from last week:

At airport 1st time in 6 mo. I'm out of practice, evidenced by confiscation of my quinoa salad @TSA. Olive oil + quinoa = TERROR. Who knew?