Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Differences in TSA penalties for screeners vs others

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Differences in TSA penalties for screeners vs others

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saizai
I disagree.

I am obviously no TSA apologist. I don't condone the policies, and I do not condone screeners who violate clearly established law, regardless of what the policies are.

However, it's also a bad, low paying, low morale job. Making it worse in terms of working conditions etc only means you get people doing it because they have no realistic alternatives.

Screeners deserve to have the same basic rights as all other random Federal workers — for instance, to get reasonable accommodations for their own disabilities, to advocate through unions for better working conditions, to have safety protections like dosimeters, etc.

I would much rather have TSOs be properly compensated, trained, protected from hazards, etc., and without the various abuses by management I've heard of from multiple TSO informants. (I've had more than one contact me — https://s.ai/contact, hint hint — who supports my advocacy work, despite themselves working as TSOs.)

Those sorts of things make for worse screeners. Even if you lack any empathy for them as people doing a repugnant job, at least take the cynical view: happier, better trained screeners are less likely to be barking or otherwise abusive towards pax.
I completely disagree that being a TSA employee is a low paying job. For the skill sets required to do TSA Security Screening not even a high school education is required. The jobs are fairly basic, repetitive, each with simple steps. Tub Stacker, minimal skill. TSA <redacted>, minimal skills, TSA bag searcher, minimal skills. Some jobs using technology require just a bit more skill but keep in mind that the machines indicate items that may be of concern.

TSA screeners work in air conditioned environments, in relatively clean conditions, and in safe conditions.

TSA pay starts out a bit over $15 per hour with additional locality adjustments, shift differential, holiday pay, and full benefits such as medical, liberal leave earnings and so on.

Name one other job that requires no education and that offers such attractive benefits.

An example of an entry level TSA screener job:

https://www.usajobs.gov/Search/?keyw...pleteSelected=

Transportation Security Officer (TSO)

Save Job | More Like This...male or female) hiring preference to fill TSO positions in order to meet security mission...work as a Transportation Security Officer ( TSO) and provides employee testimonies about...good and the challenging aspects of being a TSO. To view the video, please Click Here.;For...

Salary: $15.41 - $22.01 / Per Hour
Series & Grade: SV-1802-D/D
Location(s): Dayton, Ohio
Open Period: 10/18/2016 to 11/1/2016
Announcement Number: DAY-F09-P001
Department: Department Of Homeland Security
Agency: Transportation Security Administration
Position Info: Part-Time - Permanent
Who May Apply: Open to All U.S. Citizens and U.S. Nationals For further information concerning ...

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 19, 2016 at 9:55 am Reason: Derisive/pejorative
Old Oct 19, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I completely disagree that being a TSA employee is a low paying job. For the skill sets required to do TSA Security Screening not even a high school education is required. The jobs are fairly basic, repetitive, each with simple steps. Tub Stacker, minimal skill. TSA <redacted>, minimal skills, TSA bag searcher, minimal skills. Some jobs using technology require just a bit more skill but keep in mind that the machines indicate items that may be of concern.

TSA screeners work in air conditioned environments, in relatively clean conditions, and in safe conditions.

TSA pay starts out a bit over $15 per hour with additional locality adjustments, shift differential, holiday pay, and full benefits such as medical, liberal leave earnings and so on.

Name one other job that requires no education and that offers such attractive benefits.

An example of an entry level TSA screener job:

https://www.usajobs.gov/Search/?keyw...pleteSelected=
Oh, that's not so difficult. Most jurisdictions also only require a HS diploma for police officer and firefighter jobs. Step 1 for a BART cop is more than $75,000 per year and that is just base pay (don't believe me? check out page 96 of their contract: http://www.bart.gov/sites/default/fi...02013-2018.pdf
0.)

Don't forget that does not include any shift pay (7% to 9.5% more/hr extra); guaranteed overtime; standby, call back, court, and roll call pay; clothing allowances ($1,000/year); 5% /hr bump for being a training officer; kiss butt enough to get listed as a "Master" Police Officer and get an additional 2% increase in base pay; or any other premium pay ($3,000 for special assignment) and cool things like $50/month for gym health club membership, regularly scheduled 3-day weekends, unlimited free rides for spouse and kids on the BART system including in retirement; and much more even before including all value of the regular benefits (health, life, retirement, etc).

Now, BART is a admittedly at the top end - but not that far off from most big city/big county pay. All for a HS diploma......
Old Oct 19, 2016, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Section 107
Oh, that's not so difficult. Most jurisdictions also only require a HS diploma for police officer and firefighter jobs. Step 1 for a BART cop is more than $75,000 per year and that is just base pay (don't believe me? check out page 96 of their contract: http://www.bart.gov/sites/default/fi...02013-2018.pdf
0.)

Don't forget that does not include any shift pay (7% to 9.5% more/hr extra); guaranteed overtime; standby, call back, court, and roll call pay; clothing allowances ($1,000/year); 5% /hr bump for being a training officer; kiss butt enough to get listed as a "Master" Police Officer and get an additional 2% increase in base pay; or any other premium pay ($3,000 for special assignment) and cool things like $50/month for gym health club membership, regularly scheduled 3-day weekends, unlimited free rides for spouse and kids on the BART system including in retirement; and much more even before including all value of the regular benefits (health, life, retirement, etc).

Now, BART is a admittedly at the top end - but not that far off from most big city/big county pay. All for a HS diploma......
TSOs who feel that they are unfairly treated should stop taking out their dissatisfaction with their bosses on innocent pax and start applying for those high-paying jobs.

Indeed, I particularly wonder why so many vets choose to work under dreadful conditions at TSA when there are so many better jobs available - since vets not only have HS, they also have job experience and at least a passing familiarity with security concepts.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Section 107
0.)

Aren't both salaries and cost of living pretty much out of kilter in the Bay area?

I check Dallas PD. Starting salary is about $42,900 after completeing the police academy's 36 week training course.

In most cases some college is required but can be offset by if an applicant is already a certified peace office. From the DPD pages:

http://www.dallaspolice.net/joindpd/...fications.aspx
  • Applicants that are 19 and 20 years of age must have a minimum of 60 semester college hours with a 2.0 GPA from an accredited college or university.* Remedial or developmental courses do not count towards the total college hours.
  • Applicants between 21 and 44 years of age must have a minimum of 45 semester college hours with a 2.0 GPA from an accredited college or university.* Remedial or developmental courses do not count towards the total college hours.
So a few dollars an hour higher pay but not substantially more than a starting TSA screener and much more training and education is require, not to mention that being a police officer anywhere is much more dangerous than being a TSA screener.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.