Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

PreCheck name matching issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PreCheck name matching issues

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:39 am
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by flyerCO
There's no such requirement. Most people don't have a passport even, only a DL. Passport name would only matter if you got PreCheck via Global Entry. Also the name on the reservation isn't what matters, it's the name in the Secure Flight Data fields. This can be slightly different in order to match the name on file for PreCheck/GE.
My state doesn't have an enhanced DL program so in order to apply I would have to either show my passport or my birth certificate. The first line of Pre-check application says that the name on the application must exactly match "Legal Name must match exactly on all identification documents brought to enrollment." IE my passport name.

I undertand changing the info on the flight booking (name on the reservation is under which I think is where the secure flight data is entered)but when the time came to travel my ID (DL) would not match the name that was on the pre-check.
What am I missing?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kklems
I wouldn't mind getting pre-check but I don't want to travel domestically with a passport. My DL name is different than my passport. DL FI, Middle name, Last name Passport First name, Middle name, Last name. When I inquired at a TSA pre-check site they told me I would have to use the passport name.
PreCheck works even for people in your kind of situation. It's just that the reliability of getting PreCheck LLL may not be as high as if using the name as in the passport and/or birth certificate.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kklems
My state doesn't have an enhanced DL program so in order to apply I would have to either show my passport or my birth certificate. The first line of Pre-check application says that the name on the application must exactly match "Legal Name must match exactly on all identification documents brought to enrollment." IE my passport name.

I undertand changing the info on the flight booking (name on the reservation is under which I think is where the secure flight data is entered)but when the time came to travel my ID (DL) would not match the name that was on the pre-check.
What am I missing?
The name field for secure flight data is totally separate from the name on the reservation. You can enroll using passport ne, and get precheck by entering your name as in passport in the Secure Flight Data fields. You don't change the name of your FF account though and thus your reservation/BP will have your name as on your DL but you get PreCheck.

Last edited by flyerCO; Aug 30, 2016 at 4:35 am
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:08 am

But if you name on the boarding pass does not match the name on the ID it's a trip back to the ticket counter.
Happens all the time when my co-workers get gate passes and they are making up 100 of them bound to be errors. We can't use Pre or KTN's.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by flyerCO
There's no such requirement. Most people don't have a passport even, only a DL. Passport name would only matter if you got PreCheck via Global Entry. Also the name on the reservation isn't what matters, it's the name in the Secure Flight Data fields. This can be slightly different in order to match the name on file for PreCheck/GE.
Even with GE, passport name doesn't matter: your GE profile name is what matters, and that can be separate from the passport name (similarly with DOB and other personal data).
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
There is a margin of name differences that don't inhibit PreCheck LLL outcomes by very much; and there is a margin of name differences that very much inhibit LLL outcomes. The specific circumstances can also matter.

And I'm speaking of name differences amongst ticketed name, SecureFlight name, and GOES/GE name.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Brighton Line
But if you name on the boarding pass does not match the name on the ID it's a trip back to the ticket counter.
Happens all the time when my co-workers get gate passes and they are making up 100 of them bound to be errors. We can't use Pre or KTN's.
The name on the reservation needs to match ID. The name in the secure flight data field needs to match what is on file with Precheck/GE. These are NOT the same fields and can be different.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 9:44 pm

Must I use middle name?

My middle name is on my passport. When buying tickets, sometimes I use it sometimes not. Some of my airline profiles have it, some not. I want to apply for GE. Do I HAVE TO use my middle name on the application, because it's on my passport? If so, will I always have to use middle name when buying tickets also? (And change my profiles if it's missing?) Thanks!
Old Sep 8, 2016, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
GE matches via passport number.

TSA PreCheck does require name matching to a certain extent. I've had tickets booked my corporate TA without my middle name which is on my passport, DL & Nexus card and still received PreCheck. But having a uniformed platform of profiles and such does tend to make it easier.

I alerted a MOD to consider moving this to the Trusted Traveler forum.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Basically no. No one will ever notice or care whether a middle name is being used (or, for that matter, if first and middle names are reversed.)
Old Sep 9, 2016, 6:51 pm

Thank you for your quick responses! Reading around the forum, it seemed everything had to match the Global Entry info, or risk not getting TSAcheck.
So your experience is that my carrier profiles, tickets and GE info can vary, as to whether my middle name is included - or not?

Thank you for your help!
Old Sep 9, 2016, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Well the GE kiosks match by passport number so middle name being present or not isn't an issue.
For TSA PreCheck the info in the airline computer's Secure Flight section is what counts. The name should match what is on your GE/Nexus card. Missing middle names don't necessarily mean you won't get PreCheck. But this varies by experience.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Basically no. No one will ever notice or care whether a middle name is being used (or, for that matter, if first and middle names are reversed.)
While it remains anecdotal, this is not so if one uses GE for Pre-Check. It appears that there is a significantly higher deselection rate when there is not an exact name match between the name under which the ticket is booked and the name underlying the TTN.

Thus, it makes sense to have an exact match between the name on your passport, GE, and in your air carrier profiles. It is simple to accomplish and eliminate extraneous periods and spaces and only need be done once.

If the question is whether you will be denied entry, you won't. If the question is whether you will be denied boarding, you won't. But, it appears that it you want to maintain 100% Pre-Check (or thereabouts), you should.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 9:59 pm

Thank you for the info. Just what I needed to know!
Old Sep 10, 2016, 9:08 am

TSA precheck: middle name match

I want to get TSA precheck. The docs I'll be using are a drivers license and birth certificate.

The DL has my middle initial. The BC has my full middle name. My strong impression reading this forum is that that's not going to work. Is that true?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.