Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

PreCheck name matching issues

Old May 3, 13, 2:41 pm
nrr
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond

I was using the pre-check line at JFK T8 (AA)(which has been moved from the far left end to the far right end). My DL has only my first and middle initials and my full last name. My bp has my full first name, mi, full last name. Out of hundreds of triips, never a problem. Today, the TSA checker wanted to see something with my full first name--a credit card was acceptible.
Old Dec 7, 13, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL FO, HH Ag

I know that Pre-Check is never a guaranteed thing, but I had something happen this weekend that has me scratching my head. My wife and I flew Delta from ATL to JAX last night. We fly to JAX about 2-3 times a year to visit family, and on this particular trip my wife was selected for Pre-Check at ATL, but I was not (first time either one of us has ever gotten Pre-Check). We both have Skymiles accounts with Secure Passenger Data on file at delta.com - I am FO, but my wife has no status (she typically flies fewer than 10K miles a year).

I just checked us in for our return flight out of JAX, and my wife was again selected for Pre-Check, but I was not. I know it's all supposed to be random, but I became curious whether something was making me ineligible for consideration. I can see a one-time thing as a random occurrence, but twice in a row seems less so. AFAIK there is nothing in my personal history that would make me ineligible for Pre-Check, so I started thinking maybe there was an issue with the Personal Info stored in my DL profile.

I have my full first and last name listed on my DL profile, for both my Personal Info and my Secure Passenger Data (no middle name or initial listed in either one). Everything exactly matches my driver's license and passport. My wife's info is listed the same way on her DL profile - first and last names only, no middle initial or name.

However I did notice that the suffix is missing from my Secure Passenger Data - I am "James Jr" and the suffix is included on my DL Personal Info, but not on the Secure Passenger Data. I wondered if that was the cause, so called Delta customer service to inquire. They told me they only look at First Name, Last Name, Gender, and Date of Birth. They specifically do NOT look at the Suffix since it tends to cause more problems than it solves (because people often leave that info off).

Note that I am not really complaining or anything - again I understand that Pre-Check is supposed to be random and is never guaranteed. I'm just curious if this is "pure coincidence" that she got selected twice in a row (when I did not) or if there is some other possible explanation. The whole thing seems like a Catch-22 - I cannot determine if I am eligible until I am selected, but I cannot be selected unless I am eligible.

(Note: I see that someone else has started a similar thread to this, relating to GE. I almost piggy-backed on that, but decided my issue was enough different to warrant a separate thread. However I am OK with the threads being merged if that seems best).

-JimG
Old Dec 7, 13, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL FO, HH Ag
One additional thought - in ATL, the Pre-Check lane at the Security Checkpoint is a dedicated lane. If your BP says "TSA PreChk" then that's where you go, otherwise you join the general security lines.

I see a lot of people on FT mentioning "3 beeps" to let them know they have Pre-Check, and I am assuming that at most airports, Pre-Check is a pull-aside from the main security line (i.e. everyone starts in the same initial line, and the Pre-Check folks are pulled out and sent to a separate screening area after their BP is scanned the first time).

My wife's BP says "TSA PreChk", but my BP says "Skymiles AMEX" in that same spot. I am wondering if the "Skymiles AMEX" is masking the "TSA PreChk" and I just never realized it since I never thought to try the Pre-Check lane in ATL (since my boarding pass doesn't say that I should).

I see that they have started Pre-Check at JAX since the last time we were here, and it looks like maybe it is the pull-aside Pre-Check with the 3 beeps. If so, I guess I may find out tomorrow if I get the beeps and should have been going to the Pre-Check lines in ATL all along.

I was curious if anybody knows for sure - is it typical to be approved for Pre-Check, but not have it printed on your BP for some reason?

-JimG
Old Feb 12, 14, 6:26 am

Programs: UA Gold
What name to use in UA profile to get PreCheck

Couldn't find the exact answer to my question but before I add my PASSID to my United account, I want to make sure the name on my UA account matches my GE account to ensure maximum PreCheck chances.

When I log into GOES, under "Personal Information" my name is John Smith. Under "Citizenship Information" my name is John James Smith. My GE card has John Smith. My passport is John James Smith. My drivers license is John J Smith.

I'm assuming I should use John Smith as that's what my GE card says?
Old Feb 13, 14, 1:11 am

Programs: UA captive, AA dabbler, HH, Carlson
Yes, that's correct.
Old Feb 13, 14, 1:38 pm

I was told in my NEXUS interview on Monday (which includes GE) that they use what is on your Passport. Now I have yet to try it --will next Tuesday.
Old Feb 13, 14, 2:34 pm

Two conflicting answers...doesn't inspire much confidence in the whole system
Old Feb 24, 14, 6:35 am

Updated my profile to John Smith to match my GE card (which is different than my DL which is different than my passport/citizenship info in GOES).

I'll report back
Old Feb 24, 14, 6:55 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
On US Air, my profile is First Maiden Last. My passport is First Middle Maiden Last. I had no problems with precheck when I flew them in January. (An agent said I couldn't change the name in my profile without going to the airport. Since my boarding pass said recheck, I didn't bother making the change.)
Old Feb 24, 14, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by manneca View Post
On US Air, my profile is First Maiden Last. My passport is First Middle Maiden Last. I had no problems with precheck when I flew them in January. (An agent said I couldn't change the name in my profile without going to the airport. Since my boarding pass said recheck, I didn't bother making the change.)
Do you have GE? If so, what does your GE card say?
Old Feb 24, 14, 4:55 pm

Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), DL GM (ST E+), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
My NEXUS card and passport both say First Middle Last. I have successfully recieved precheck with LAST/FIRSTMIDDLE, LAST/FIRSTMIDDLEMR, LAST/FIRSTMIDDLEINITIAL, LAST/FIRSTMR, LAST/FIRSTMIDDLEINITIALMR, and even once LAST/FIRSTMRS (I'm a male, it was a booking error).

I think the whole "exact match" hysteria is just hype - the database seems to be able to match my KTN with my name and birthdate without issues.
Old Feb 25, 14, 9:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL View Post
My NEXUS card and passport both say First Middle Last. I have successfully recieved precheck with LAST/FIRSTMIDDLE, LAST/FIRSTMIDDLEMR, LAST/FIRSTMIDDLEINITIAL, LAST/FIRSTMR, LAST/FIRSTMIDDLEINITIALMR, and even once LAST/FIRSTMRS (I'm a male, it was a booking error).

I think the whole "exact match" hysteria is just hype - the database seems to be able to match my KTN with my name and birthdate without issues.
I wouldn't call it hype, but rather an artifact of the earlier days of the program, when the matching had to be exact. It appears they've written more robust code that can determine who's who even with a wider variety of names in the PNR. Good news for everyone.
Old Feb 25, 14, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL View Post

My card says First Middle Last, as do my airline account profiles. When booking direct with the airline I have always gotten Precheck.

A couple of weeks ago I booked a two-segment one-way through Chase Ultimate Rewards. Chase does not allow input of KTNs so I did it on the airline's website after pulling up my PNR on which my name was "Firstmiddle Last." I received Precheck for the first segment but not the second segment.

I should note that the flight was ticketed through AA with the first segment on US and the second on Eagle. My boarding pass for the Eagle flight lacked Precheck.

Last edited by davie355; Feb 25, 14 at 4:43 pm
Old Feb 26, 14, 4:27 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
You have an interesting situation. Several forms of id's with a different version of your name. I suggest you read on my experience with a similar issue. Post 23 is my findings,
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trust...l#post22295498

After the correction, all is well. Mind you, all of my airlines profile has my name as first, middle initial, last name. Your situation can go either way. If you start getting no pre, I really think the best thing is to have your driver's license and passport match, then have data updated in your GE profile, and update your airline profile accordingly. It just seems to me there is room for confusion and you have a higher chance of no pre-check after all.

Trust me, after enjoying pre for a long time, going 0 for 30+ is no fun.
Old Feb 26, 14, 5:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Eric Westby View Post
I wouldn't call it hype, but rather an artifact of the earlier days of the program, when the matching had to be exact. It appears they've written more robust code that can determine who's who even with a wider variety of names in the PNR. Good news for everyone.
The "exact match" has always been hyped. I've seen these programs operate from both sides, and the "matching" has not had to be "exact" from the beginning of the public implementation to now. If anything, false flags for haraSSSSment have increased as more code changes took place in more recent times.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: