Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Customs Agent: Where did you buy that XXXXX?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Customs Agent: Where did you buy that XXXXX?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: A few, *G,
Originally Posted by sethb
Some booze is. Absinthe used to be. In some states, very high alcohol content is illegal.
My comment to him was about the amount, some 12 bottles iirc, that he hoped the inspection would miss. pretty much the dictionary definition of the act of smuggling, to not declare what you are importing. Contraband is what those goods would be called.

it was funny to watch him get all nittery and then blow it by not looking up the word he tried to interweb refute.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:52 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
State laws are completely irrelevant when it comes to CBP.

Further, while you might not be able to purchase grain alcohol or certain types of beer in some states, it's not illegal to possess or consume it in those states. It's just not legally for sale.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by catocony

Further, while you might not be able to purchase grain alcohol or certain types of beer in some states, it's not illegal to possess or consume it in those states. It's just not legally for sale.
It can be, depending on your age.

It's all semantics which is really what the whole thread has turned in to.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Actually, they aren't. CBP will enforce the laws of the state you're entering.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
I've been told Everclear cannot be sold in Minnesota but Wisconsin sells it.

I don't know for sure either way since I've never had any reason to buy it.
then i guess you've never worked on auto electrics
Old Jan 27, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by Blogndog
then i guess you've never worked on auto electrics
Ohhhh, I'm busted. Got me there brah.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by sethb
Actually, they aren't. CBP will enforce the laws of the state you're entering.
Can you cite an example of Customs not allowing an arriving passenger to bring in alcohol just because it's not available for sale in whatever state the arriving airport is in?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Can you cite an example of Customs not allowing an arriving passenger to bring in alcohol just because it's not available for sale in whatever state the arriving airport is in?
There are cases of Customs limiting the amount of alcohol a passenger could bring in to the amount allowed in the arrival state, which was less than federal law allows. I read about that because there was a major complaint due to the flight being diverted (the intended destination allowed a larger quantity than the diverted-to state did).

But that was many years ago.

See https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use for the official statement of policy, including "Most States restrictions on the amount of alcohol that can be brought into that State apply only to residents of that State. Usually people transiting a state are not subject to those restrictions, but sometimes regulations change,"
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Good gracious, reading this thread, I hope I am never stopped at the border, I have a $600-new-bought-for-$400 monitor, a $200 keyboard, three desktop tripods (two for the keyboard halves, one for the monitor), a decent RX 100 II camera, 1-2 laptops (OK, OK only one most of the time, I do not want to go excessive :P ), 2-3 mobile phones (all of them crap), a tablet, an ebook reader, enough cables to hang myself from it if someone asks where is this all from
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by chx1975
Good gracious, reading this thread, I hope I am never stopped at the border, I have a $600-new-bought-for-$400 monitor, a $200 keyboard, three desktop tripods (two for the keyboard halves, one for the monitor), a decent RX 100 II camera, 1-2 laptops (OK, OK only one most of the time, I do not want to go excessive :P ), 2-3 mobile phones (all of them crap), a tablet, an ebook reader, enough cables to hang myself from it if someone asks where is this all from
Even worse if they want to access your data, and you don't let them.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 3:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by FredAnderssen
Even worse if they want to access your data, and you don't let them.
There's not much they can do if you refuse to give them access to your data. At least in the Ninth Circuit, and arguably everywhere, they need reasonable suspicion of criminal activity to then seize it and try to break the password. That's a pretty high burden, the officer will need approval from a supervisor or perhaps higher, and they are not going to seize your device and waste their geek squad's time trying to de-encrypt it out of spite, unless they have good reason to believe there really is something bad on there.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 5:19 am

Somewhat OT, but I've always been curious about how sales tax works aboard Amtrak trains. AFAIK, there is no sales tax charged for items sold on board a train, although I would assume that they would technically need to charge the rate for whatever state the train happened to be in at the time. Is there some sort of federal law that exempts Amtrak?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 6:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Blogndog
Is there some sort of federal law that exempts Amtrak?
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/49/24301
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:07 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
There is another thread on this topic here that I cannot find via search that gets into more details, but CBP does follow state laws for alcohol; in fact the prohibition of alcohol in the constitution gives the states much power with regard to some aspects alcohol instead of the feds. IIRC it is not the arriving airport but the destination or home of record of the pax involved.

I have seen CBP report pax in Texas, as just one example, to make them pay state duty, and in Pennsylvania seen them admonish and confiscate a liquor item due to state laws.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...RlXyp3bQ%3D%3D
This covers shipping importing but also applies at airports:
"Please be aware that State ABC laws govern how much alcohol a person may import into their state without a license and those laws are enforced by CBP. You must check with the state ABC board where your shipment will enter the country to determine their limits."

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...free-exemption
"Most States restrictions on the amount of alcohol that can be brought into that State apply only to residents of that State. Usually people transiting a state are not subject to those restrictions, but sometimes regulations change, and if this is a matter of utmost importance to you, you can check with the state Alcohol Beverage Control Board where you will be arriving to find out what their policies are.

There is no federal limit on the amount of alcohol a traveler may import into the U.S. for personal use, however, large quantities might raise the suspicion that the importation is for commercial purposes, and a CBP officer could require the importer to obtain an Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) import license (which is required for all commercial importations) before releasing it. A general rule of thumb is that 1 case of alcohol is a personal use quantity - although travelers are still subject to state restrictions which may allow less."
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
There is another thread on this topic here that I cannot find via search that gets into more details, but CBP does follow state laws for alcohol; in fact the prohibition of alcohol in the constitution gives the states much power with regard to some aspects alcohol instead of the feds. IIRC it is not the arriving airport but the destination or home of record of the pax involved.
Not claiming to be a Constitutional expert so would you please point out that passage please?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.