Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Customs Agent: Where did you buy that XXXXX?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Customs Agent: Where did you buy that XXXXX?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by MastaHanky
That happened to me on a drive to Calgary. CBA asked if we had any explosives. One of my passengers yells "wait"! Digs though his coat and pulls out a single lint-covered firecracker that was probably several years old. Four hour car search.
Yikes. But then again, I'm guessing that they think, "When there's smoke, there is fire" and probably are obligated to search.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 6:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
CBP aren't obligated to search just because of any and every joke made in perhaps no/poor/good taste. But some people in positions of authority lack an appreciation for jokes because they take any attempt that humanizes a situation and treats the counterparts as an equal being to be a threat to their authority as a petty little Napoleon.

Last edited by essxjay; Jan 13, 2016 at 2:17 pm Reason: unnecessary wholesale quote
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:26 am

Programs: A few, *G,
There are times to make jokes, and then there are times to not be an idiot. I get you believe they are all out to get you, but get real here for a minute. The comment alone was the justification because they are in a position of authority, it is their job to investigate.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:55 am
Suspended

I get the application of the false belief represented in the above post, but that false belief is not mine.

There is a lot of room between a time to make jokes and being an idiot. A follow-up question about whether the comment is a joke or a serious declaration would save the taxpayers' resources if the CBP (or its predecessor agencies) wouldn't be on such a trip to make an example of how they can get away by behaving like petty little Napoleons when the traveling public doesn't behave in the lawful ways in which the CBP employee wants for reasons that have little or nothing to do with securing the country from inadmissible persons and delivering the customs and contraband control functions to which they've been tasked.

Last edited by essxjay; Jan 13, 2016 at 2:17 pm Reason: unnecessary quote
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
The only time I was asked anything like this was some time ago. I had just flown SEL-DTW, after being stationed in Korea for a year in the US Army, and hadn't returned to the US for the whole year.

Customs officer: what are you bringing back with you?

Me: I was stationed in Korea for a year. The Army paid to ship most of my things, except for what is in these bags. Truthfully I'm not sure if anything I bought is here or in the bulk shipment.

Customs officer: (rolls eyes) Go ahead
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Yikes. But then again, I'm guessing that they think, "When there's smoke, there is fire" and probably are obligated to search.
I'm guessing that if the agent in question is truly smart enough to do her/his job, s/he doesn't really believe that an untimely joke constitutes 'smoke'.

OTOH, if the agent in question routinely approaches his/her job with a chip on his/her shoulder, well...anything can and will be claimed to be 'smoke' worthy of further retaliatory investigation.

A true professional doesn't abuse his/her authority or waste his/her employer's time pursuing petty little acts of retaliation. A true professional keeps his/her eye on the mission at hand and doesn't allow him/herself to be distracted.

An annoyed employee engaging in pointless retaliation is a distracted employee who is not performing 100%.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm
The only time I was asked anything like this was some time ago. I had just flown SEL-DTW, after being stationed in Korea for a year in the US Army, and hadn't returned to the US for the whole year.

Customs officer: what are you bringing back with you?

Me: I was stationed in Korea for a year. The Army paid to ship most of my things, except for what is in these bags. Truthfully I'm not sure if anything I bought is here or in the bulk shipment.

Customs officer: (rolls eyes) Go ahead
As far as I'm concerned, if you spent a year serving our country in the armed forces overseas, anything you bought should be duty free. Leave it CBP to collect duty because a serviceman/woman bought an iPhone in Korea while stationed there.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by surreycrv
It's kinda ironic, you were the one who purposely smuggled contraband booze.
If you're going to use polysyllabic words like "contraband", you should learn what they mean before you use them -- booze in any quantity is not "contraband."
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:02 pm

No wonder the lines are so long, every joke is to be given ample time to be heard and then explained it was only a joke. cue snl

and Tommy Flanagan
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Blogndog
If you're going to use polysyllabic words like "contraband", you should learn what they mean before you use them -- booze in any quantity is not "contraband."
or I could just be correct, while you are quite wrong.
The word contraband, reported in English since 1529, from Medieval French contrebande "a smuggling," denotes any item which, relating to its nature, is illegal to be possessed or sold.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Blogndog
Imported goods where due duty has not been paid may be considered contraband in some circumstances. But the word loses its meaning when even the declared booze (potentially subject to duty) is not subjected to duty due to CBP having other priorities that come with the CBP's de facto waiver of some import duty/tax.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:12 pm
Suspended

It is not generally illegal to posses or sell booze in the US. Last I checked, the US CBP doesnt take its orders from Saudi Arabia-style laws, laws which make booze contraband.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
An example of contraband are Cuban cigars. You don't declare them, and they're not allowed.

An example of not contraband are Dominican cigars. You are supposed to declare them, and they are allowed.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
I'm guessing that if the agent in question is truly smart enough to do her/his job, s/he doesn't really believe that an untimely joke constitutes 'smoke'.

OTOH, if the agent in question routinely approaches his/her job with a chip on his/her shoulder, well...anything can and will be claimed to be 'smoke' worthy of further retaliatory investigation.

A true professional doesn't abuse his/her authority or waste his/her employer's time pursuing petty little acts of retaliation. A true professional keeps his/her eye on the mission at hand and doesn't allow him/herself to be distracted.

An annoyed employee engaging in pointless retaliation is a distracted employee who is not performing 100%.
That statement goes a long way, a very long way, in explaining how TSA employees operate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.