Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Post-Paris "Flying While Brown" Syndrome Claims Its First Victims

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post-Paris "Flying While Brown" Syndrome Claims Its First Victims

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
ND Sol,

I understand more languages than I comfortably speak. Many people do. It's not all that rare at all for a lot of people to understand some or a lot of English but not be comfortable in trying to speak it (if at all able to speak it for conversational purposes). I'm not one of those people.

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
I'm sure what she meant to say was "Muslim, Sikh, and brown bodies in the last 14 years."
Indeed.

"And some people leave out some punctuation", from an earlier post here.

And I trust that the Sikh woman who got a Delta apology knows more about Sikhs and those who may identify with being bi-religious than most non-Sikhs and most Muslims -- even as the Twitter-heavy using generation seems to drop punctuation out more than some of us who don't use Twitter and text messages much (if at all).

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 9, 2015 at 8:19 am
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:21 am
Suspended

The response of a "flying while brown" passenger going from Houston to Newark:

http://time.com/4135397/muslim-flight-detained/

A person whose family came to America to escape religious persecution and seek a better life gets persecuted for "flying while brown" from Houston. "Houston, we have a problem."

And the local FBI's response when asked about him is to keep him down as a "suspicious passenger" even when he was not found to be a threat.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I know Muslim-Sikh couples who have had children. The children identify with both religions, both of which are monotheistic. Who am I to tell a Muslim Sikh that his religious identity is not what he or she claims it to be? Fortunately theocracy doesn't have a place in places where such people live: India, Canada, the U.K. and the US.

It's theocratic-supporting fundamentalists who try to dictate the religious identity/non-identity of others.
O​f all the issues raised, this is the only one you are addressing in your response? It is probably the least important and way off-topic.

Your post is non-responsive to my inquiry. Just reread all the relevant sections and you can readily see why.

Proselytizing, halah-dhabihah slaughter requirements, male circumcision, pilgrimages and fasting are a few tenets that are in direct opposition between the religions of Islam and Sikhism. And of course it is not they who are to say, but as I noted, the religions themselves. I may identify as the King of England, but that does not make me such. But then again, "Who am [you] to tell [me] that [my royalty] identity is not what [I] claims it to be?"

Your failure to even address telling me not to "be like ISIL/Daesh", a group that would murder me without a second thought, is telling.

ND Sol,

I understand more languages than I comfortably speak. Many people do. It's not all that rare at all for a lot of people to understand some or a lot of English but not be comfortable in trying to speak it (if at all able to speak it for conversational purposes). I'm not one of those people.
How is this even relevant to your prior post?

Your action of lying behind the log by talking in "various languages" would only escalate the situation. If I didn't understand the particular "various languages" you were speaking, that would lead one to reasonably believe you did not understand the purpose of the valet tag and, as such, airline personnel would be asked to be involved.

"And some people leave out some punctuation", from an earlier post here.
But she doesn't leave out punctuation. In fact, in both the sentence before and the sentence after she uses a comma that you believe is missing here.

She edited her post and still failed to change the punctuation. Especially for an attorney and TV commentator, her imprecision gives me pause for concern as to how careless she may have been with the rest of her story.

And I trust that the Sikh woman who got a Delta apology knows more about Sikhs and those who may identify with being bi-religious than most non-Sikhs and most Muslims -- even as the Twitter-heavy using generation seems to drop punctuation out more than some of us who don't use Twitter and text messages much (if at all).
There you go again by stating ​"Sikh woman who got a Delta apology ", but fail yet again to offer actual proof.

You mention Twitter again, but fail to note if your false statement was intentional or just negligent.

She could have short-circuited the whole issue by just discussing it with the gate agent and none of this would have happened. Once she showed that what was in her bag was necessary to remain with her on the plane, that was the end of the story.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:37 am

The response of a "flying while brown" passenger going from Houston to Newark:

http://time.com/4135397/muslim-flight-detained/

A person whose family came to America to escape religious persecution and seek a better life gets persecuted for "flying while brown" from Houston. "Houston, we have a problem."
"'Houston, we have a problem.'"? "passenger going from Houston to Newark"? What we have is provincial bigotry on your part. You know where I reside and flipped the origin and destination to make it a PWH (Posting While Houstonian). Were you intentionally trying to deceive or just negligent? See how easy it is to assume motives based on objective facts.

Ahmadiyya Muslims are a heavily persecuted sect in several Muslim majority nations because of doctrinal differences. Ahmadiyya Muslims believe the Mahdi and Messiah, whom the Prophet Muhammad prophecized would reform Muslims in the latter days, has already come. Our mosques are demolished, our books banned, our men are jailed, and our women and children burned to death—all actions that are driven by the same extremism behind the Paris attacks. For this reason, many of us have safely made it to the U.S.
Sounds like orders of magnitude in difference between what happens in "several Muslim majority nations" to members of his sect and what happened here.

As for his statements, "I hope you never know what it feels like to have a group of police officers single you out. I hope you never know what it is like to be frisked while standing in front of a plane full of passengers. . . . I hope you never feel the humiliation of having your belongings confiscated out of your hands, or being surrounded by cops who refer to you as “the subject” on their walkie talkies." Yes, I do know that and have posted my experience in this forum.

And the local FBI's response when asked about him is to keep him down as a "suspicious passenger" even when he was not found to be a threat.
No, that is not what the FBI said:

Statement from Houston FBI: “However, I can confirm that FBI and Houston Police personnel were called to respond to reports of a suspicious passenger onboard a Southwest Airlines flight inbound to Houston on November 15, 2016. After further investigation, no threat was found.”
Old Dec 10, 2015, 7:36 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Keep this thread going! It's my new favorite.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ND Sol
"'Houston, we have a problem.'"? "passenger going from Houston to Newark"? What we have is provincial bigotry on your part.
I lived in Houston. Even in the era where people in other parts of Texas would say Houston isn't really Texan.

Do you know what a Houston police officer said to him after the incident? It wasn't so nice and should be considered a problem.

Sounds like orders of magnitude in difference between what happens in "several Muslim majority nations" to members of his sect and what happened here.
Do we really want to have those persecuting countries be the benchmark of what the US should be like and against which to compare? Comparing ourselves to Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia and ISIS? Please, that's like competing in a race to the bottom.

No, that is not what the FBI said:
No, it is exactly as I said:

Statement from Houston FBI: “However, I can confirm that FBI and Houston Police personnel were called to respond to reports of a suspicious passenger onboard a Southwest Airlines flight inbound to Houston on November 15, 2016. After further investigation, no threat was found.”

They refer to him as a suspicious passenger even after finding nothing. That is the exact quote provided even after clearing him to travel.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 10, 2015 at 9:54 am
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I lived in Houston. Even in the era where people in other parts of Texas would say Houston isn't really Texan.

Do you know what a Houston police officer said to him after the incident? It wasn't so nice and should be considered a problem.

Do we really want to have those persecuting countries be the benchmark of what the US should be like and against which to compare? Comparing ourselves to Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia and ISIS? Please, that's like competing in a race to the bottom.

No, it is exactly as I said:

They refer to him as a suspicious passenger even after finding nothing. That is the exact quote provided even after clearing him to travel.
No the FBI referred to "a report of a suspicious passenger" which led to an investigation which found no threat.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 6:58 am

What does this even mean about "Houston isn't really Texan" and how is it relevant? And what's the deal with all the "" ?

No, please enlighten us with a link. Was it worse than what happened to me by HPD?
Old Dec 11, 2015, 12:13 pm
Suspended

I have no idea what HPD said to ND Sol. Was that the airport division? If not, not sure how it relates to this incident.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
No the FBI referred to "a report of a suspicious passenger" which led to an investigation which found no threat.
So anything but saying he wasn't a "suspicious passenger", despite finding no threat.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 1:35 pm

I have no idea what HPD said to ND Sol. Was that the airport division? If not, not sure how it relates to this incident.
It also appears you have no idea what the HPD officer said to Dr. Rana since you can't seem to even provide us with even a link to that info. Is this yet another case of you asserting a fact that you won't then provide support for?

And yes, it was "the airport division". That story is the subject of a very long thread in the TSS forum.

So anything but saying he wasn't a "suspicious passenger", despite finding no threat.
What is so difficult to understand; this is very simple. The FBI responded to reports of a suspicious passenger. They wouldn't have responded if the passenger was reported as not being suspicious.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(

Come on, GUW, you are being ridiculously disingenuous. Are you next going to argue the definition of "is"? If the FBI said, 'we received a call to respond to a report of a kidnapping. After further investigation it was determined there was no kidnapping," would you be saying it is unfair for the FBI to characterize the nature of the response as one of investigating a reported kidnapping? Of course not. It was previously not your style to argue a factual description of an activity is itself evidence of impropriety or bigotry.

Although, I do point out that the FBI's statement is poorly written in that it indicates the passenger whom the FBI investigated was suspicious. In fact, the investigated pax was not the one who was suspicious. Rather, it was the person who called (or related his/her suspicions about the investigated pax to the person who actually called) the FBI who was suspicious about the pax who was investigated. Geez, all these suspicions and investigations - cant we all just get along?

Last edited by Section 107; Dec 11, 2015 at 2:36 pm
Old Dec 11, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Keep this thread going! It's my new favorite.
This thread delivers!
Old Dec 11, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
This thread delivers!
Thanks, DaveBlaine. We can always count on you to deliver a trivial one-liner!
Old Dec 11, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by BSBD
Thanks, DaveBlaine. We can always count on you to deliver a trivial one-liner!
No, a trivial one-liner would be, "D'you know that the human head weighs 8 pounds?"

Old Dec 11, 2015, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is what they were saying when stating "after further investigating, no threat was found".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.