Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Post-Paris "Flying While Brown" Syndrome Claims Its First Victims

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2015, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You just KNEW this was going to happen. I wonder why it took so long: http://wapo.st/1j5mi0y

"Four passengers removed from flight at BWI that was headed to Chicago"

The head of an Islamic civil rights organization on Tuesday warned of increased racial profiling of Muslims after a plane was diverted from takeoff in Baltimore when a passenger raised concerns about the “suspicious activity” of a traveler whose companions included people who reportedly appeared to be of Middle Eastern descent.
“That just indicates it’s what we suspected all along. It’s flying while Muslim,” said Ibrahim Hooper, spokesman for Washington-based Council on Islamic-American Relations.

<snip>

The Chicago Tribune, quoting passengers after the plane landed, said at least two of the people removed from the plane appeared to be of Middle Eastern descent, and one was watching a news report on his mobile phone as the plane taxied toward the runway.
The flight attendant notified the captain of the passenger’s concerns and “out of an abundance of caution, the plane returned to the gate,” Spirit Airlines spokesman Stephen Schuler said in a statement.

<snip>

First Sgt. Jonathan Green, a spokesman with the Maryland Transportation Authority Police, said the passengers who were removed had not been arrested and they had not been charged with a crime.
If Congress wants to actually do something, they should pass a law that requires that the identity of the passengers who make such claims be revealed. The victims should be allowed to confront their accusers and seek civil and perhaps criminal redress. This includes the flight crew who make these decisions based in the fear of Joe Sixpack.

Sorry for the iPhone cumbersomeness.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA, HA
I'm curious if Spirit Airlines (NK) have any defensible rationale for what seems legitimate behavior on a flight. Were these people disregarding cabin crew instructions? If it really comes down to other passengers "felt" uncomfortable for above-board behavior (+ flying while brown), that's profoundly uncool and should be dealt with severely.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 7:56 pm

The terrorists involved with Paris attacks were fair skin, not brown.

Though, they were of Middle Eastern heritage.

Still, paranoia ....!

My Boston flight felt uneasy with anyone with dark hair no matter the skin tone, especially those with Mediteranean appearances, including me. And I am not even Muslim and Middle Eastern!
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:31 pm

Programs: Double Unobtainium, Grace L. Ferguson Airline & Storm Door Co.
From the Chicago Tribune's story:
The woman grabbed her young daughter and rushed to the back of the plane, where she reported the man's "suspicious behavior"
The plane, Spirit Airlines Flight 969, was already taxiing down the runway.
“They were gearing up to take off when the woman with her child got up and walked very briskly to the back of the plane to the bathroom," Farella said. "The flight attendants were on the PA pretty aggressively telling them to sit down and she ignored them, kept walking and that’s when I started panicking."
So did the person who disrupted the flight and ignored an order from an air crew member face any consequences for breaking the law and endangering her safety as well as her child's?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Vidiot
So did the person who disrupted the flight and ignored an order from an air crew member face any consequences for breaking the law and endangering her safety as well as her child's?
Why do I think not. Still/technically, wouldn't mom's actions fall under the doctrine that which is necessary is not illegal? This feels like it gets into the nebulous area of Stand Your Ground, i.e. if you have a reasonable (insert eye roll) fear, then your actions are permissible.

I'm curious how much of a hassle it would be and who would have to pay for it for a flight to return to gate, call security, clear up the matter, and then keep all on board and taxi/fly away later. Maybe there has to be a scapegoat if someone cries wolf/terrorist?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
I'm curious if Spirit Airlines (NK) have any defensible rationale for what seems legitimate behavior on a flight. Were these people disregarding cabin crew instructions? If it really comes down to other passengers "felt" uncomfortable for above-board behavior (+ flying while brown), that's profoundly uncool and should be dealt with severely.
They're going to say he had his phone in cellular mode after the door closed and that's why. It's true that he could have downloaded it and be watching it without a connection, but you can't be too careful.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If people are removed from a flight because of a complaint one of those being removed should be the person lodging the complaint.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
If people are removed from a flight because of a complaint one of those being removed should be the person lodging the complaint.
.... so that they can both be re-booked onto the same flight when it's revealed that the accused was not a threat? Yeah, that won't be a problem at all.

Don't get me wrong; I don't like this at all. But as long as our culture promotes notions like "if you see something, say something", we're going to get idiotic incidents like this.

Or, as Bruce Schneier put it: "If you ask amateurs to act as front-line security personnel, you shouldn't be surprised when you get amateur security."

I wish I had a better answer. (Heck, I wish I had any answer.)
Old Nov 18, 2015, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
.... so that they can both be re-booked onto the same flight when it's revealed that the accused was not a threat? Yeah, that won't be a problem at all.

Don't get me wrong; I don't like this at all. But as long as our culture promotes notions like "if you see something, say something", we're going to get idiotic incidents like this.

Or, as Bruce Schneier put it: "If you ask amateurs to act as front-line security personnel, you shouldn't be surprised when you get amateur security."

I wish I had a better answer. (Heck, I wish I had any answer.)
There is always the chance that the person lodging the complaint is working to draw attention away from them and on someone else.

Regardless, there should be some consequence for a complaint if it is unfounded.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Indeed, that is the course that should be the preferred default for such situations. Material witnesses to "suspicious criminal activity" need to be subjected to examination and questioning by law enforcement .
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:53 pm

The especially aggravating thing is that no entity will probably apologize for inconveniencing the travelers in question. It's just unlucky to be inherently suspicious to people when you live in a see something, say something culture. Sucks to be brown.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
Sucks to be brown.
All depends on where you are. Lots of murderous bigotry against non-brown people goes unpunished and even incited by civic leaders and governments in lots of countries.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:07 am

Regardless, there should be some consequence for a complaint if it is unfounded.
Put a system like this into place, and you'll shut down all legitimate complaints too ... because few people will risk having their complaint judged as "unfounded". (That's why there are "Good Samaritan" laws.)

Maybe that would be a better system than the one we have now. But there is no political will to move in that direction.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Put a system like this into place, and you'll shut down all legitimate complaints too ... because few people will risk having their complaint judged as "unfounded". (That's why there are "Good Samaritan" laws.)

Maybe that would be a better system than the one we have now. But there is no political will to move in that direction.
Then while at it, why not eliminate penalties for providing false information in all contexts?

Originally Posted by Section 107
All depends on where you are.
Last I checked this incident was one of flying on US carriers.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Then while at it, why not eliminate penalties for providing false information in all contexts?
That's exactly why this problem is probably unsolvable. How do you define "false information"?

What do we have here? A man watching a video on his cellphone, probably in violation of crew instructions to place electronic devices in airplane mode. A woman walking back to the restroom, in violation of crew instructions to remain seated during taxi and takeoff.

We're reminded all the time that "compliance with crew member instructions is required by federal law". Yes, the people who reported these violations probably did so because they were non-Anglo, not because of the violations themselves. But how are you going to prove that? They (probably) provided accurate information about these "violations of federal law" to the crew members. Any attempt to convict them of providing "false information" is going to fail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.