Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK fiasco

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by BSBD
My wife has GE and has been subjected to SSSS flying from Western Europe. It's nothing more than a "we can screw with you so we will" exercise.
FROM Western Europe??? There's no TSA in Europe, how could that be?

Given some countries like in Europe routinely grope US bound passengers but it's still not an SS-squared.
Originally Posted by LeslieJam
..My first time EVER with it. It was a busy airport, and as an over 40 year old..
Perhaps you were just disproportionally lucky so far? Maybe because of said "parameter set". I once had 5 SS-squared in sequence and all involved groping. I guess as with all physical things, the first time is the hardest.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Marriott Gold, Hilton, Hertz
Just got a call from Congressman Chaffetz office they are opening an official investigation with the TSA.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
Push it as far as you feel like pushing it. The only hope of changing anything is for those few people who are irritated enough to refuse to accept this stupidity and abuse is to push back. It's so much easier to just give in to whatever they want and just get to your plane.

Maybe I actually did something once. I placed the NEXUS game with spectacular results a couple of times (at JFK). One time I had four clerks, including a supervisor, tell me the NEXUS card was no good, another time, I got the guy to take it, but then I said well why don't you know your job, why was there any problem, and he stopped me and got a supervisor to check, and the supervisor was just as dumb as him, and I wound up showing my driving license. So I wrote to this address I had, and some clerk wrote back that it wasn't supposed to happen like that, and also said something about how the clerks (only he called them officers) were on the front lines if anything happened to cause harm. I wrote back to him that they aren't on the front lines of anything, and telling them that is one of the reasons they act the way they act.

Anyway, every time I went through JFK after that until the time they put the Übermenschen lane in at T2/T4 (which basically took me away from that sort of problem) they actually did know what the NEXUS card was and passed me through like they're supposed to.

Coincidence? Probably yes, but I don't KNOW that my complaint had nothing to do with it.
I'm taking it as far as I can. Nobody puts baby in the corner.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I'm taking it as far as I can. Nobody puts baby in the corner.
It's a long shot, but you haven't by any chance been anywhere near Istanbul in recent months, have you?

Can I assume that there was nothing unusual about the ticket you were flying on? Not a last-minute one-way cash purchase?

It's posted elsewhere in the forum, but it's pretty common knowledge that for months now, an itinerary involving IST can lead to a few months of 'SSSS' for no reason that makes sense to anyone but presumably has to do with treating anyone who goes to Turkey (borders Syria) as suspicious whenever they fly for a few months. Unfortunately, this affects so-called 'trusted travelers' as well as everyone else.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
It's a long shot, but you haven't by any chance been anywhere near Istanbul in recent months, have you?

Can I assume that there was nothing unusual about the ticket you were flying on? Not a last-minute one-way cash purchase?

It's posted elsewhere in the forum, but it's pretty common knowledge that for months now, an itinerary involving IST can lead to a few months of 'SSSS' for no reason that makes sense to anyone but presumably has to do with treating anyone who goes to Turkey (borders Syria) as suspicious whenever they fly for a few months. Unfortunately, this affects so-called 'trusted travelers' as well as everyone else.
Nope never been to Turkey, eaten turkey but never been there I flew 10 October SLC to AMS to FCO and on the return FCO-JFK-SLC. Used Delta SkyMiles for the flight so to ensure the best deal on miles, I booked them way back in April 2015. Also used my miles for my Mom and Sister. We don't look unusual either, unless you think Danish/English/Irish people look unusual.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 11:35 am

Tell the congressman they touched your "anomaly" and ridiculed
you for having one. Sure, you might hate to pander to the Politically
Correct crowd at first but that's what gets results these days.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 11:43 am

Prosecute them for sexual assault
Old Oct 20, 2015, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by chollie
You know, I heard that as well so I braced myself for the worst when my wife and I came back from our honeymoon, destination IST. But everything's be "normal" with our prechecks (knock on wood). We're both GE.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nmh1204
Prosecute them for sexual assault
It certainly bordered on sexual harassment. Rubdown v Patdown
Old Oct 20, 2015, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yandosan
Tell the congressman they touched your "anomaly" and ridiculed
you for having one. Sure, you might hate to pander to the Politically
Correct crowd at first but that's what gets results these days.
Actually did so, because I would never treat anyone like I was treated regardless of who or what they were.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:11 pm

It certainly bordered on sexual harassment. Rubdown v Patdown
that's sexual assault, they touched you in a sexual manner without your consent, take it to the police
Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by weero
It's my understanding the airline assigns SSSS at the time of booking, so it wouldn't surprise me if someone got an SSSS on the return leg of a trip to Europe.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH gold
Originally Posted by petaluma1
It's my understanding the airline assigns SSSS at the time of booking, so it wouldn't surprise me if someone got an SSSS on the return leg of a trip to Europe.
I've gotten SSSS flying PVG-DTW. I think that 1-way tickets and cash bookings both can trigger my least favorite four-letter "word".
Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:55 pm

chollie beat me to it -- the secret Turkey SSSS. That was the first thing which came to mind.

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
Sorry for the unpleasantness, but as far as I am concerned the TSA in JFK are the worst (ATL being a close second). They are arrogant, rude, condescending, and have an incredibly bad attitude (this is above and beyond the usual and expected NYC rudeness). And, at the risk of being accused of being racist, I have found that the non-Caucasian TSA workers in JFK treat Caucasians (at least this Caucasian female) like crap (worse than the other TSA workers). For this reason I hate flying through JFK.
Sadly, I have to agree... with the female non-Caucasian TSA employees at JFK being the worst. One of them tried to steal confiscate some food I'd packed in my carry-on at T5. Fortunately one of the male non-Caucasian screeners who was running the ETD saw what was happening and immediately grabbed a complaint form and a supervisor. He was quite passionate that I fill out the complaint form on the spot, which I did. He was quite upset about this and had stated that he'd seen the same x-ray person steal food when she was hungry before. The supervisor was useless -- he left the sticky-fingered hungry hippo on the x-ray machine, but at least my cheese from Murray's was back in my possession. Never heard back from the TSA on the incident. Also haven't seen the same woman at the T5 checkpoint since, so maybe she did get the boot.

Just got a call from Congressman Chaffetz office they are opening an official investigation with the TSA.
Keep on them -- don't let this story die.

I'm all for real security, but the TSA is standing in the way of true security. I'm more scared having TSA in place than the old pre-DHS/TSA days.

I've not had to be subjected to any of the TSA or SSSS bullssssh to enter military bases, federal courthouses, military installations, federal law enforcement offices, etc. At no point has any of the security officers (who are sworn law enforcement officers at the aforementioned locations) ever barked/yelled/raised their voice at me, required me to get rid of my water, take off my shoes, etc. They've almost always been dressed in a proper suit w/tie or proper military uniform, polite yet firm, and often friendly. But I have no doubt their demeanor would change rapidly if they sensed a threat. THESE are the people we need running airport security.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by weero
If you want to fly to the US, you have to abide by US screening requirements.

Given some countries like in Europe routinely grope US bound passengers but it's still not an SS-squared.
Yes, it is, when your boarding pass says SSSS and you are subjected to SSSS screening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.