Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Light hearted TSA agents

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:09 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by bluesmoon
Incident 1: At ID check for an early morning flight, wearing a tech company T-Shirt that looks a lot like Minecraft, agent checks my ID, looks at me and says, "how many XP?", and I'm a little startled because while I get the lingo, I don't quite remember which T-shirt I put on. He says, "Minecraft, yeah?" and waves me off to the shortest line.

Incident 2: Was flying out of Logan (BOS) wearing my favourite Big Bang Theory T-Shirt. Went through the TSA-Pre line for security with my regular carry-on. It's a low traffic period, and the agent at the X-Ray looks at me straight faced and says, you can't take this bag through.

I look at her stunned and say that I've never had a problem before, but she insists, "I can't allow it!", then her expression completely changes and she goes "Bazinga!"

Incident 3: At the international terminal agent walking up and down the line rattling out instructions regarding laptops, liquids, shoes, etc., except he's also trying to determine the nationality of everyone in the line and repeating the instructions in their language. English, Spanish, French, German... we ask him how many languages he can cover, and he goes on to list a variety including Hindi, Italian and Portuguese.

Incident 4: At SFO ID check flying back to BOS, agent looks at my newly issued MA license and says, "Hey, I just moved here from Boston, how's the winter treating you?"
^^^
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
Ah, yes, a large dose of bitter hatred is always a good way to destroy a feel-good thread.
^
Old Sep 20, 2015, 4:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Dovster
Ah, yes, a large dose of bitter hatred is always a good way to destroy a feel-good thread.
Ah, no. A large dose of bitter hatred of FT criticism of the TSA is often a way to drive a thread that gives the TSA its due in relevant ways.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
Evidently TSA agents are more likely to have a sense of humor than FF posters ...
Originally Posted by gsoltso
^^^
Sorry -- We have no choice other than to assume that we are being "checked out" by SPOTNiks using the "casual conversation" technique. You have all the power and authority and the only responses from us are to not respond to your humor-based interrogation techniques, to flip you off while assuming the surrender pose in the <deleted by moderator>, or to make you change and test gloves when groping us.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 19, 2016 at 9:20 am Reason: Terms not used in this forum
Old Sep 21, 2015, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Sorry -- We have no choice other than to assume that we are being "checked out" by SPOTNiks using the "casual conversation" technique. You have all the power and authority and the only responses from us are to not respond to your humor-based interrogation techniques, to flip you off while assuming the surrender pose in the <deleted by moderator>, or to make you change and test gloves when groping us.
^^^^

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 19, 2016 at 9:20 am Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Sep 21, 2015, 6:14 am

Granted I could be completely wrong, but I was under the impression that SPOT was being greatly reduced/phased out.

Regardless, I could care less if they want to SPOT me or not, I am going to be myself and they (SPOT or any other TSA Employee) can like or lump it as far as I am concerned.

A while back I had a SPOT attempt to converse with me in the terminal and I was honest that I had complied with all rules and cleared the checkpoint and now I was going to get a drink in the lounge, if he would like to converse any further I said he was more than welcome to sit with me in the lounge and have a drink but that he would have to cover his own admission. I added, I am a gregarious person by nature and wouldn't mind the company.

Oddly enough, never saw him again. ^^

My Wife till this very day is mortified that I did that, she always asks what if he decided to follow you into the lounge and I always respond we could have had an extensional conversation, probably would have been interesting, plus I never miss an excuse to hear myself speak.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 19, 2016 at 9:21 am Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Sep 21, 2015, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kmersh
Granted I could be completely wrong, but I was under the impression that SPOT was being greatly reduced/phased out.

Regardless, I could care less if they want to SPOT me or not, I am going to be myself and they (SPOT or any other TSA Employee) can like or lump it as far as I am concerned.

A while back I had a SPOT attempt to converse with me in the terminal and I was honest that I had complied with all rules and cleared the checkpoint and now I was going to get a drink in the lounge, if he would like to converse any further I said he was more than welcome to sit with me in the lounge and have a drink but that he would have to cover his own admission. I added, I am a gregarious person by nature and wouldn't mind the company.

Oddly enough, never saw him again. ^^

My Wife till this very day is mortified that I did that, she always asks what if he decided to follow you into the lounge and I always respond we could have had an extensional conversation, probably would have been interesting, plus I never miss an excuse to hear myself speak.
You may have no problem with Spot today.

But how about on the day that some TSA BDO decides your actions, look, or some other unknown and unscientific observation makes you suspect of some unknown something that can interrupt your travel and you have absolutely no defense since TSA's BDO/Spot program has been proven to be flawed?

Reducing TSA's BDO program is not the right solution, shutting it down and removing those employees, as excess, from the public payroll is the only correct answer.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 8:54 am

Sorry -- We have no choice other than to assume that we are being "checked out" by SPOTNiks using the "casual conversation" technique. You have all the power and authority and the only responses from us are to not respond to your humor-based interrogation techniques, to flip you off while assuming the surrender pose in the deleted by moderator>, or to make you change and test gloves when groping us.
You are welcome to assume what you wish, it will have no impact upon my work ethic or professionalism in the least. I will continue to have a sense of humor, be polite and professional at work in all things. As for flipping off an inanimate object, while being screened, more power to you, I am quite certain that it will be suitably offended.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 19, 2016 at 9:21 am Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Sep 21, 2015, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
You are welcome to assume what you wish, it will have no impact upon my work ethic or professionalism in the least. I will continue to have a sense of humor, be polite and professional at work in all things. As for flipping off an inanimate object, while being screened, more power to you, I am quite certain that it will be suitably offended.
Professionals should not be forcing a captive audience to respond to their personal chat for fear of retaliation.

As a TSO, you know nothing about me and my state of mind when I approach your checkpoint. You do not know if your 'witticism' strikes a painful nerve, nor do you know whether or not I am flying because of a family tragedy and in no mood to play along with you. I should not be forced to play along with you because I want to make my flight.

For similar reasons, I would never dare initiate a light-hearted conversation with a TSO. If I pick the wrong TSO and inadvertently give offense, I could be in big trouble.

Last edited by chollie; Sep 21, 2015 at 9:44 am
Old Sep 21, 2015, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
Professionals should not be forcing a captive audience to respond to their personal chat for fear of retaliation.

As a TSO, you know nothing about me and my state of mind when I approach your checkpoint. You do not know if your 'witticism' strikes a painful nerve, nor do you know whether or not I am flying because of a family tragedy and in no mood to play along with you. I should not be forced to play along with you because I want to make my flight.

For similar reasons, I would never dare initiate a light-hearted conversation with a TSO. If I pick the wrong TSO and inadvertently give offense, I could be in big trouble.
No one should ever have their right to travel challenged because they wish not to engage in conversation with a government employee unless that person is a law enforcement officer engaged in a lawful interview.

TSA's BDO program and the employees engaged in that program offer nothing of value to either the public or to TSA.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I recall, you're a SPOTNik, correct? I'm not surprised at all that you turned it around to make yourself believe I was flipping off an "inanimate object" instead of the clerks operating it.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
You may have no problem with Spot today.

But how about on the day that some TSA BDO decides your actions, look, or some other unknown and unscientific observation makes you suspect of some unknown something that can interrupt your travel and you have absolutely no defense since TSA's BDO/Spot program has been proven to be flawed?

Reducing TSA's BDO program is not the right solution, shutting it down and removing those employees, as excess, from the public payroll is the only correct answer.
Tangentially:
I get that, I truly do, I just take the approach of it is what it is, I am powerless to do much about it and while I can and do complain, I also understand that I am just some dude and the people who have the power to make the needed changes could give a hoot about what I think.

Understanding that I am powerless leaves me as I see it one choice, do what I want which makes me happy. As any potential negative consequences are going to happen pretty much no matter what I do, so when and if anything negative happens I will deal with it then.

Said another way, I can worry about it today or down the road if need be.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can say this much I know at least one TSA Employee who is a nice guy and he happens to be there just to collect a pay check. A Paramedic I see in the hospital all the time works Part-Time as a TSA Screener to make some extra money to help pay for his upcoming wedding. He and I have often talked about his screening job and he basically says that it is a job like any other, he tries to do it as best he can but he admits that the overarching TSA makes it difficult and sometimes seemingly inane.

He has said a few times that they are trained on policy and procedure, (e.g. how to screen something) but not the whys and wherefores which he feels causes many of the problems we all talk about. He said if a reason is given for something it is so generic as to not really explain anything at all, which leaves room for the TSA employee to make up their own reason for what they are doing and many times he feels leads to the Super Cop Syndrome as if you feel you are doing something Super Important it becomes less of a job and more of a heroic act. He takes the attitude of I do it because I am told to do it, thinking is not required, though he openly admits a lot of what he does seems silly or useless.

A few times TSA colleagues of his have said oh we do this for X reason, mind you not a reason that they were officially given, but a reason that the individual TSA employee's brain came up with to explain why they are doing X as they were never given any specific reason other than most times what they are told which is for the safety of aviation. He said, in many cases he is sure that the "invented" reason is more Tom Clancy than the actual reason why they are doing X, but that without an official explanation people's minds run wild. Following along, if you have "invented" a more Tom Clancy reason that could be understood to be seemingly more important than why any given task is actually assigned, than that person could easily believe that they are next great savior of the USA and thus take on Super Trooper.

If a more specific reason is provided for why TSA does one thing or another, he has said that the specific reason is made public rather than just internally because TSA is just as suspect of its front line people as it is of the general public at large.

My take, people are people and be it TSA or any other employer it is about how management handles its people and the tone they set, if the tone is one of mistrust and disrespect, than the Front Line will portray that, if the tone is trust and respect than the Front Line will echo that.

Last edited by kmersh; Sep 21, 2015 at 6:35 pm Reason: rewarded a section to be clearer (as I tend to write as I speak which does not always work)
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

kmersh, I don't disagree with your overall assessment of TSA.

The problem is that travelers have no recourse, no one to turn to, no way to know what is right or wrong, when at a TSA checkpoint.

Travelers have a right to know what is or may be done to them and in what manner that action might take. Travelers also have a right to redress wrongs against them but with TSA there is no one immediately available to turn to, especially someone not directly connected to TSA employees at the checkpoint.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by kmersh
My take, people are people and be it TSA or any other employer it is about how management handles its people and the tone they set, if the tone is one of mistrust and disrespect, than the Front Line will portray that, if the tone is trust and respect than the Front Line will echo that.
This is something that I've been saying for years: it all comes down from the top. Pistole was an arrogant SOB who defied Congress and even lied to Congress. Would you expect better behavior from his underlings?

Hopefully, Neffenger isn't as arrogant as Pistole was and a "kinder, gentler" TSA will emerge, but I don't hold out too much hope.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
kmersh, I don't disagree with your overall assessment of TSA.

The problem is that travelers have no recourse, no one to turn to, no way to know what is right or wrong, when at a TSA checkpoint.

Travelers have a right to know what is or may be done to them and in what manner that action might take. Travelers also have a right to redress wrongs against them but with TSA there is no one immediately available to turn to, especially someone not directly connected to TSA employees at the checkpoint.
Again, I completely agree, but the same could be said for any large bureaucracy. I am going in circles with the cable company and beyond going to the local telco which is not any better, I am stuck dealing with my cable company with very little recourse.

I am by no means comparing the levels of bad, obviously TSA can effect my life more than the cable companies billing department, but it is similar in the lack of recourse.

I am a huge proponent of Costco because the customer can make their voice heard, I once had an issue with Costco that the local warehouse was unwilling to fix (not the norm for Costco where the moto is find a way to say yes), so I emailed their CEO and most avid spokesperson Jim Sinegal and he got back to me personally and made it right and to this day I am still impressed by that, but Costco is special in that they treat everyone, be it employees and customers as they matter, they are not simply a means to an end.

TSA is not unlike many other large bureaucracies, nobody matters and nobody is empowered with whom the average user (passenger in the TSA's case) can contact.

Government Organs are notoriously slow and hard to change, but one thing is for sure it starts at the top. You can pretty much substitute any Government Organ in place of TSA and the same thing could be said, the average person has little to no recourse and little to no place to turn for help and the few outlets for help are pretty much useless.

In a greater picture that sort of sums up life (at least in the USA) in 2015, the average person just does mean all that much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.