Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Changes to screening in light of recent failures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to screening in light of recent failures

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would guess that on any given flight most passengers are vacation/leisure flyers and the cost for Pre Check just isn't worth the cost verus the number of flights they take in a years time. Yes, lots of people fly everyday but for the most part they are different people each day and that is where TSA Pre Check misses the mark.

If TSA wants vetted passengers then do it for free, require no in person interview, and use current law enforcement databases to make determinations. Doing so would allow for Pre Check style screening for the majority of travelers and let TSA focus their energy on the remaning unknown or higher risk passengers.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
I wonder if that's 4% of the population (so someone flying 2x a week gets counted as 1, as does someone flying 1x or 0x per year), or 4% of the checkpoint transits (i.e. weighted by frequency of flying).

I'd also be very surprised if Precheck was only 4% of total trips through security.
If it's 4% of US check-ins with PreCheck eligible carriers, I would be surprised. If it's 4% of named individuals in some USG database of passengers (and maybe airline crew), that would not surprise me.

When Pistole told the U.S. Senate that 40% are getting expedited screening, he included U12s, senior citizens over 75 years of age and flight crew. I don't recall if the question asked of him was limited to PreCheck or to the broader category of expedited screening.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by petaluma1
From The Hill:

Currently, only 4 percent of travelers are PreCheck members.

"http://thehill.com/policy/transportation/249629-new-tsa-chief-vows-to-tighten-airport-security

That's far, far fewer that I had guessed. He's never going to get the "millions more" that Pistole said last fall were needed in order for PreCheck to work as envisioned.
One very real example: if you were a frequent flyer - or even an infrequent flyer with a family - who flies out of PHX, would you pony up $85/yr/pax for a service that is rarely and inconsistently available?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
If it's 4% of US check-ins with PreCheck eligible carriers, I would be surprised. If it's 4% of named individuals in some USG database of passengers (and maybe airline crew), that would not surprise me.

When Pistole told the U.S. Senate that 40% are getting expedited screening, he included U12s, senior citizens over 75 years of age and flight crew. I don't recall if the question asked of him was limited to PreCheck or to the broader category of expedited screening.
Weren't something like 85% of passengers flying on a given day supposed to be PreCheck at this point in time?

No wonder Pistole said that "millions more" enrolees were needed to make the program work as it was "intended."

Speaking to Chollie's point:

One very real example: if you were a frequent flyer - or even an infrequent flyer with a family - who flies out of PHX, would you pony up $85/yr/pax for a service that is rarely and inconsistently available?
I'm willing to wager that the TSA expected even those infrequent flyers to enroll with all their kith and kin and that just didn't and won't materialize.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1

Only 4 percent of travelers are PreCheck members. [...]
That's far, far fewer that I had guessed. He's never going to get the "millions more" that Pistole said last fall were needed in order for PreCheck to work as envisioned.
TSA can get there quite easily. All it has to do is give up on the $17/year fee, payable in five-year chunks. The efficiencies that TSA would gain from performing its "background check" on anyone willing to enroll would more than compensate for the loss in fees.

Given that I fly only 1-2 times a year, and sometimes through airports that don't have Pre-Check, it's simply not worth my money to apply.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
TSA can get there quite easily. All it has to do is give up on the $17/year fee, payable in five-year chunks. The efficiencies that TSA would gain from performing its "background check" on anyone willing to enroll would more than compensate for the loss in fees.

Given that I fly only 1-2 times a year, and sometimes through airports that don't have Pre-Check, it's simply not worth my money to apply.
Any airport large enough to have a dedicated elite line should have a dedicated Pre line, and like the elite line, it should be open and staffed at all times.

I just can't see anyone ponying up his/her $ for a 'maybe' or a 'lite' experience.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LoganTSO
Yes, however, all of that was already in place at BOS. It's not like new checkpoints were being built from scratch for PreCheck. At BOS, it was simple equipment reprogramming and off they went.

Can I say the same for other airports, no. But I have a feeling that the majority of airports took a standard lane, reprogrammed the equipment settings and voila, PreCheck lane.
Quite the opposite at Dulles....

And, a post from a knowledgeable FTer...
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
For me, the $100 Global Entry fee was worth it after being stuck in a security screening line @ JFK for nearly 90 minutes of standing. I have a health condition which normally doesn't interfere with my life...but 90 minutes straight of standing and not moving put me (and my health) in a bad position. If I knew it was going to be THAT bad I would have at least gotten a wheelchair for the wait. I signed up for GE the following day after I recovered.

A snow storm had come and left and air travel was starting to return to normal. TSA had a single Pre-Check/Crew/Elite lane open and a single regular lane open and that was it for the whole terminal. To process probably 400-600 pax all trying to leave and of course they insisted on running everyone through the nude-o-scope (I opted out). They had plenty of people standing around to open more lanes, but they didn't. Fortunately the airline was fully aware and was holding planes, but this was causing delays throughout their network that day.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KRSW
For me, the $100 Global Entry fee was worth it after being stuck in a security screening line @ JFK for nearly 90 minutes of standing. I have a health condition which normally doesn't interfere with my life...but 90 minutes straight of standing and not moving put me (and my health) in a bad position. If I knew it was going to be THAT bad I would have at least gotten a wheelchair for the wait. I signed up for GE the following day after I recovered.

A snow storm had come and left and air travel was starting to return to normal. TSA had a single Pre-Check/Crew/Elite lane open and a single regular lane open and that was it for the whole terminal. To process probably 400-600 pax all trying to leave and of course they insisted on running everyone through the nude-o-scope (I opted out). They had plenty of people standing around to open more lanes, but they didn't. Fortunately the airline was fully aware and was holding planes, but this was causing delays throughout their network that day.
Shouldn't the discussion center around effective deployment of TSA resources instead of getting 4% of flyers through expedited screening?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Shouldn't the discussion center around effective deployment of TSA resources instead of getting 4% of flyers through expedited screening?
Absolutely it should. The easiest solution would be to make pre-check-level security the standard.

Mike
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Speaking of which - it seemed that after a period of frequent PreCheck "random alarms" requiring additional screening, the "random alarms" fell down to a seemingly more "random" low number.

Now, my observations show that alarms are once again increasing in frequency, only they don't call them "random" anymore. I learned yesterday in ATL that TSA now refers to them as "quotas."

The "quota" designation means that they now have a set level of PreCheck pax per day that must undergo additional screening, i.e. hand swab, scanner, or patdown.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by BSBD
Speaking of which - it seemed that after a period of frequent PreCheck "random alarms" requiring additional screening, the "random alarms" fell down to a seemingly more "random" low number.

Now, my observations show that alarms are once again increasing in frequency, only they don't call them "random" anymore. I learned yesterday in ATL that TSA now refers to them as "quotas."

The "quota" designation means that they now have a set level of PreCheck pax per day that must undergo additional screening, i.e. hand swab, scanner, or patdown.
I wonder if the advertising for Pre spells all this out: it may not be available at some airports, even large ones like PHX, it may only be offered in modified form (Pre LITE), you are still subject to quota random additional searches, including but not limited to gropes for those who are physically incapable of assuming and holding the position for the NoS.

A family of four that flies once a year could easily spend $300+ and, particularly if they fly out of PHX, never once get a full Pre experience.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As jkhuggins mentioned up thread we all don't fly often enough to make Pre Check much of a bargain. I departed DFW last week and the airline gifted us with Pre. Making two legs tomorrow and again gifted with Pre on both legs. No status and these flights are miles redemptions.

I think Pre style screening should be given to every traveler that has a track record with an airline. Focus on the unknowns.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
I wonder if the advertising for Pre spells all this out: it may not be available at some airports, even large ones like PHX, it may only be offered in modified form (Pre LITE), you are still subject to quota random additional searches, including but not limited to gropes for those who are physically incapable of assuming and holding the position for the NoS.

A family of four that flies once a year could easily spend $300+ and, particularly if they fly out of PHX, never once get a full Pre experience.
Those infrequent flyers, who are the majority of flyers, are exactly the reason that PreCheck has not been the be-all and end-all that the TSA thought it would be.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Witnessed at MIA this morning, regular screening lanes clobbered with people and the Pre lane had no one in it until I showed up. After clearing TSA watched at least two groups of TSA screeners walking terminal D asking for documents. These people must be excess if they are not needed to clear screening backlogs and another indication that TSA is overstaffed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.