Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Concern About Data Collection for Precheck

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Concern About Data Collection for Precheck

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2015, 1:13 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by AllieKat
So you're saying only 1 in 10,000,000,000 (that's ten billion) people are terrorists? Given that's greater than the population of earth, and we've had several terrorist attacks in the last week, not to mention the Islamic State situation, I think your math is off... a lot.
Yeah, okay, cross out a few 9s.

The point is that identifying terrorists by which store they choose for groceries, their credit rating or their comments on Facebook is silly when the overwhelming majority of people world wide are not terrorists.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:30 am
YKF

Originally Posted by FredAnderssen
I believe that eventually everything will be Pre-check, with everyone needing to provide all private details before being able to fly. Don't you think this is what the government is angling for?
Thats exactly what its going to be eventually. Facial recognition cameras in businesses with data uploaded will ensure they know everywhere you have been, access to phone password (they already can), electronic purchase history, your employer, social media, and what will be next is applying associations. For example the electronic data of your brother or uncle shows he purchased 1000 bullets and a knife - you will be detained by TSA for questioning due to unreasonable and suspicious association purchase.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by YKF
For those who dont click:

" consent to mine your grocery receipts, your credit card purchases, and even your Facebook posts to determine if you are a terrorist risk – not just once but on an ongoing basis.."

" what you post on social media while you are enrolled in PreCheck – it is fair game"

" information collected by the agency’s private sector contractors could be used for other government or private purposes"
Some of this dates back at least as far as Napolitano's early days. IIRC, she wanted a points-based 'domestic extremism' index. More points, more scrutiny and/or restrictions. I suspect this idea is not dead and will likely be linked to a universally-required national ID if/when implemented.

IIRC, one of the suggestions that could get you 'points' (demerits) was ordering an airline special meal. Apparently that might include things like halal or even vegan meals. Unusual = suspicious, right?

Unsurprisingly, I do not recall any mention of easy, transparent ways for citizens to challenge false 'points' assigned to their record. Think how bad it is to correct a mistake on your credit record - now magnify that x100 and apply it to everything you do.

The apparent black mark US travellers are currently receiving for the crime of travelling to/through IST is an example of how similar information is already being used.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:34 am
YKF

Originally Posted by chollie
Some of this dates back at least as far as Napolitano's early days. IIRC, she wanted a points-based 'domestic extremism' index. More points, more scrutiny and/or restrictions. I suspect this idea is not dead and will likely be linked to a universally-required national ID if/when implemented.

IIRC, one of the suggestions that could get you 'points' (demerits) was ordering an airline special meal. Apparently that might include things like halal or even vegan meals. Unusual = suspicious, right?

Unsurprisingly, I do not recall any mention of easy, transparent ways for citizens to challenge false 'points' assigned to their record. Think how bad it is to correct a mistake on your credit record - now magnify that x100 and apply it to everything you do.
The GPS coordinates of your phone will apply points when in a muslim neighborhood or when in a freedom believing constitutional white neighborhood.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I found the solicitation.

From the Request For Proposal:

Somebody can help by trying to find the 2013 RFI...

From the Statement of Work:

There's nothing in this section that prohibits robocalls.

They can sell you data for other marketing purposes unless you opt out:

I didn't see any requirement to review social media or to do any recurring surveillance that was noted in the article. Perhaps this was another RFP.

It's still extortion.
The trolling of social media thing came up a couple of years ago. Was it in reference to the TSA "excusing" itself from having to respect the Privacy Act?

ETA: http://www.fastcompany.com/3014732/f...ecurity-faster

Last edited by petaluma1; Jan 17, 2015 at 10:31 am Reason: to add link
Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:05 pm
formerly ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy

Programs: Delta Diamond
Read up on Malcom's Gladewell's terrorism piece and data mining - might make you think different of these practices and their effectiveness.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy
Read up on Malcom's Gladewell's terrorism piece and data mining - might make you think different of these practices and their effectiveness.
Oh yes, data mining is extremely effective, I agree. The question is - at what point is it worth our every move being analysed?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
So you're saying only 1 in 10,000,000,000 (that's ten billion) people are terrorists? Given that's greater than the population of earth, and we've had several terrorist attacks in the last week, not to mention the Islamic State situation, I think your math is off... a lot.
But none of those recent terrorists went through an airport checkpoint, TSA or other, on the way to their terror attack.

In the past dozen years TSA has screened 700 million pax a year, or a total of 8 billion searches, which is more than the Earth’s population. Granted they did not search every individual person on Earth, and most of their customers are “repeat” customers. Many on this board have been screened hundreds if not thousands of times, and on their 1000th screening were found to be “Still NOT a terrorist.”

TSA has screened 8 billion passengers and found ZERO terrorists. What does that math tell you?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by YKF
The GPS coordinates of your phone will apply points when in a muslim neighborhood or when in a freedom believing constitutional white neighborhood.
The first practical reason to turn off your cellphone when flying!
Old Jan 19, 2015, 5:32 am

Please stop. RadioGirl is speaking of U.S. citizens not the world's entire population.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Please stop. RadioGirl is speaking of U.S. citizens not the world's entire population.
You're claiming no US Citizens are terrorists? Wow... umm, not the case. At all.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:37 am

You're claiming no US Citizens are terrorists? Wow... umm, not the case. At all.
If 1% of the US population were terrorists, then there would be over 3,000,000 in this country. Do you believe there are 3 million terrorists living here?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by JackInThePlane
Nobody is denying a right to privacy. Keep your privacy. Stay in the regular security line.
What real privacy do you have in PreCheck when you underwent a background check and more to qualify and TSA wants to track your online activities and purchasing habits?

And why does your personal convenience trump others' right to privacy?

It seems you would benefit from reading a classic essay on the value of privacy.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
If 1% of the US population were terrorists, then there would be over 3,000,000 in this country. Do you believe there are 3 million terrorists living here?
There's a huge gap between 1% (there would be approximately 3,161,000 terrorists) 0.00000001% (there'd be approximately 0.03161 of a terrorist). The real number is somewhere in that enormous gap.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 2:45 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
There's a huge gap between 1% (there would be approximately 3,161,000 terrorists) 0.00000001% (there'd be approximately 0.03161 of a terrorist). The real number is somewhere in that enormous gap.
And I've already admitted it was a rhetorical device, not a precise statistical analysis.

My point, again, is that if more than 99.99%* of American citizens/CostCo customers/MasterCard holders/PTA members/Facebook users are not terrorists, then using citizenship, store membership, credit card status etc is an absurd way to identify who's a terrorist and who isn't.

* Can we agree on >99.99%? Or do you want to argue that there are more than 31,610 people could apply to PreCheck and who are planning to target aircraft from a US airport?

TSA misses about 70% of dangerous things going through checkpoints. If there are even 300 people actively trying to get through checkpoints with evil intent, ~210 of them would succeed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.