Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Passenger Ejected From Flight Over Notebook Doodles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger Ejected From Flight Over Notebook Doodles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: IHG
The idiot you're defending is on Facebook. I've pulled this info straight from his account. Take a look - he's a bit more upfront and cocky about it on there. Doesn't look like it was "over the shoulder" as the report says.

But, hey, as you're so desperate to believe this guy is the victim of some over-zealous security measures, - don't bother!

Last edited by essxjay; Sep 25, 2014 at 5:53 pm
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:29 pm

This thread should be titled "Idiot gets ejected from flight and goes on facebook to celebrate"

I've told you where to find everything you need to know about this guy. Everything I've put is straight from there. Straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Last edited by essxjay; Sep 25, 2014 at 5:58 pm Reason: personal attacks
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:04 pm

The larger issue (which you are not seeing) is understanding the degree of "danger" that words on a page present to an airplane, which is a topic that has come up on this board before in the context of books and t-shirts and such. I suggest you review the previous discussions.

Last edited by essxjay; Sep 25, 2014 at 5:55 pm
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:14 pm

That's another discussion. The issue here is a disruptive passenger, trying to make some kind of point, and cause a scene. And yes, to present himself of some sort of attention-seeking hero.

Reading his comments, it seems entirely possible that this is what he set out to do in the first place.

Do we really want to encourage more idiots like this? I don't think so.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Do we want to encourage more people to clutch their pearls, pat their bosoms and gasp (furtively checking for cameras so they get their deserved 15 seconds of fame for their alleged 'brush with terror')?

I don't want my flights delayed or my life impacted because of some attention-hungry idiot who sees conspiracies and threats everywhere.

If I had been sitting next to this pax and he showed me his scribblings, I would have nodded and not given it a second thought. After all, if our fine 'one background check clears you for life' boys and girls in spiffy blue uniforms have done their job, he's no threat to me or the plane.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:28 pm

You've answered your own question there. The way to stop people clutching pearls etc is to have a zero-tolerance approach to the idiots who trigger that behaviour.

Not everyone is as tough as you.

Last edited by essxjay; Sep 25, 2014 at 5:56 pm
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Not everyone is as nosy and ill-informed and attention-hungry as the pax who complained.

How exciting - FB star for 2 minutes.

"I sat next to a bad guy on the plane and I turned him in. I can hardly breathe, when is GMA going to call me, I was a heartbeat away from disaster!!"

-- 'What alerted you to the fact that he was a bad guy who had gotten on to the plane undetected?"

"Dude - he SHOWED me a paper with the 'T' word on it!"

Last edited by essxjay; Sep 25, 2014 at 5:56 pm
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by turner32
The idiot you're defending is on Facebook. I've pulled this info straight from his account. Take a look - he's a bit more upfront and cocky about it on there. Doesn't look like it was "over the shoulder" as the report says.
They were words. WORDS. I think over-zealous is quite accurate.

Last edited by essxjay; Sep 25, 2014 at 5:59 pm Reason: reference to deleted post
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:27 pm

This thread should be titled "Idiot gets ejected from flight and goes on facebook to celebrate"

I've told you where to find everything you need to know about this guy. Everything I've put is straight from there. Straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.
Oh, 'fer crying out loud ... is it all that difficult to find the guy's Facebook profile?

Heck, I'll do it for y'all, so we can get back on-topic ...

https://www.facebook.com/oliver.buckworth

Last edited by essxjay; Sep 25, 2014 at 5:59 pm Reason: reference to deleted post
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:02 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Oh, 'fer crying out loud ... is it all that difficult to find the guy's Facebook profile?
Yes, you have to have a login to read anything in the profile. And you have to give Facebook personal information to get a login. And you have to spend time on Facebook being bombarded with crap and letting them record your every click to do any of those things. Not gonna happen.

And even if I did have a login, why would I want my login to be associated with a known "T" word?

If there really is something posted on his facebook page, can the person who thinks it's important quote it? All I see is that the person who turned him in was a "D" word.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Darkumbra
I am so tired of this nonsense.
Yeah. I can't stand it!! I don't like it at all. There is no reason to kick him out of the plane. This is insane!!! I cant bear to watch him!!
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:23 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
And stop trying to make this about "words on a page". - That's obtuse, and a little disingenuous to say the least.
But it is, exactly and only, about words on a page. Those words could do zero harm to anyone on the plane. We learned a little rhyme in kindergarten, "Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me."
You've answered your own question there. The way to stop people clutching pearls etc is to have a zero-tolerance approach to the idiots who trigger that behaviour.

Not everyone is as tough as you.
I had a friend whose mother would "clutch her pearls" when anyone said, 'butt'. You were supposed to say 'bottom' or 'posterior'. So should everyone in America be forced to refrain from using the word "butt" in public as part of this zero-tolerance policy?

The truth is, the word "TerrorIsMadeUp" is exactly as dangerous as the word "butt". Neither are dangerous, they are just offensive to some people. The fact is, that anyone on a plane who is a terrorist is NOT going to be discussing it.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by jkhuggins

Heck, I'll do it for y'all, so we can get back on-topic ...

https://www.facebook.com/oliver.buckworth
Yeah, please don't bothering him. Leave him alone! You have block him and don't try to talk with him on FB. DO NOT REQUEST HIM OR DO NOT LEAVE THE MESSAGE TO HIM. I read his Facebook status and he is very nasty message on his FB status.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Folks,

We've removed a number of personal attacks that cascaded into petty bickering. Calling out fellow FTers -- no matter how much you disagree with them or how wrong you think they are -- is never acceptable. Please post within the published Rules or be subject to a timeout.

---------
essxjay
TS/S moderator
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FTcadence
Over the weekend, a Tiger Airways passenger, Oliver Buckworth, was removed from a flight after another passenger noticed that he was doodling and writing in a notebook satirizing the current threat of terrorism and altered a crew member.

In his notebook can be seen written... "In a land of melting ice-creams, sandy feet and fluffy bears, how could anyone be fearful of terrorism", "Terrorismadeup", and "Tyrannosaurus Rex. Terodactyl. Tarantula. Terrorist."

After being interviewed and undergoing a background check, Mr. Buckworth was released.

He has been blacklisted by Tiger Air though. An airline representative said that "Tigerair has a zero-tolerance policy towards inappropriate and antisocial behaviour."

http://www.smh.com.au/national/passe...20-10jrhs.html
Wow, I can tell from your post that you so strongly agree with the actions of the Tiger Air staff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.