Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Australia Raises Terror Alert to Highest Level in a Decade

Australia Raises Terror Alert to Highest Level in a Decade

Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Post Australia Raises Terror Alert to Highest Level in a Decade

Australia increased its terror alert for the first time in a decade, with Prime Minister Tony Abbott citing the threat posed by local supporters of Islamic State militants.

The National Terrorism Public Alert System was raised to high from medium, indicating the government and intelligence authorities believe an attack is likely, Abbott told reporters in Melbourne today. The increase to the second-highest level doesn’t mean an attack is imminent, he said.
Raising the alert will mean increased security screenings at airports, ports, government buildings and public gatherings such as major sporting events, including this month’s Australian football final in Melbourne that attracts up to 100,000 supporters.
http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...tack-as-likely
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Copies the UK.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 12:29 am

Programs: QFF
There's also been talk about changing the alert levels to make them more understandable. There would be more levels on a new system.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 1:27 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Copies the UK.
The head of UK intelligence is about to retire and elevated the alert level to "high" in an attempt to make some sort of mark in his nation's history books? OK, if you say so
Old Sep 12, 2014, 1:44 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
The head of UK intelligence is about to retire and elevated the alert level to "high" in an attempt to make some sort of mark in his nation's history books? OK, if you say so
The head of UK "intelligence" should have been sacked years ago.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 8:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
People in the "security" business like to be able to say "I told you so", even as inevitably something eventually happens such that even a certifiable lunatic in an mental asylum could raise the alert about a madman somewhere in the world going to kill someone and eventually it would happen such that the lunatic can say "I told you so." It may help even a lunatic to get some fame and fortune for their life after/outside the mental asylum.

What is so interesting about the thing driving the paranoia at this moment in various OECD countries is the following: when it comes to the very people about whom these governments are most worried, very few (if any) choose to attack in the countries of their own residence before rushing off to go elsewhere and do who knows what. And many of these foolish men and women are even being threatened by those whom they thought they were going to assist.

Clueless lunatics, the bunch seeking attention, fortune, or who knows what.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 7:24 pm

Here's what terror alert levels mean.
Chance of death by misadventure:

High: One in a billion

Medium: One in a billion + 1

Low: One in a billion +2
Old Sep 13, 2014, 7:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
Here's what terror alert levels mean.
Chance of death by misadventure:

High: One in a billion

Medium: One in a billion + 1

Low: One in a billion +2
And government hiking of the terrorism alert levels is often the indication of government preparing to go on the offensive even more. Not a surprise, as it's much like this: if I plan to swat a hornet's nest, I'm going to warn others that the hornets are going to be made mad; and now don't blame me when you get stung, as I warned you before I decided to make the hornets mad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.