Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA ID checking is worthless and a guise for airline revenue management

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA ID checking is worthless and a guise for airline revenue management

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:01 am

In other news the sky is blue, the sun sets in the west, cats are furry...
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jspira
Please feel free to voice your opinion about this and how effective you consider the TSA to be in general in the FBT/FlyerTalk poll on the topic.

Poll: How Effective is the TSA?
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Where's the option for "I think their processes, practices, & employees actually increase the chance of an event"?
While I fully understand your point, I think it can be voiced in the survey by selecting the dissatisfaction options.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Where's the option for "I think their processes, practices, & employees actually increase the chance of an event"?
This
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by Randyk47
I see no indication that TSA has a real time name checking system at security points. The only "scan" I've consistently seen is the holograph light and sometimes that's nothing more than a handheld flashlight like device, certainly nothing that looks like it's instantly checking a name against a no-fly list.
I'm pretty sure that TSA ID checkers have the entire "Do Not Fly" list memorized, so if they see a terrorist name, it will be obvious to them.

Just like how the receipt checkers at Costco have the price of every item memorized, so that when they scan your receipt in 1.2 seconds, they can immediately tell if you've been overcharged for something.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
I'm pretty sure that TSA ID checkers have the entire "Do Not Fly" list memorized, so if they see a terrorist name, it will be obvious to them.
Entirely possible. Many don't seem to have room for anything in their heads. Perhaps the names are taking up all the room...

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
Just like how the receipt checkers at Costco have the price of every item memorized, so that when they scan your receipt in 1.2 seconds, they can immediately tell if you've been overcharged for something.
Don't even get me started on that...

Mike
Old Aug 30, 2014, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by shenxing
In other news the sky is blue, the sun sets in the west, cats are furry...
Cats are not always furry. TSA, however, is ALWAYS incompetent.

Checking IDs, state your name games, prescription med Q&A, cupcakes, BDOs, magic liquid test strips, confiscating toys, ...
Old Sep 1, 2014, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ScatterX
Checking IDs, state your name games, prescription med Q&A, cupcakes, BDOs, magic liquid test strips, confiscating toys, ...
The sort of things that divert resources from effective interdiction of prohibited weapons/explosives/incendiaries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.