FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   TSA ID checking is worthless and a guise for airline revenue management (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1604901-tsa-id-checking-worthless-guise-airline-revenue-management.html)

Centurion Aug 21, 2014 6:26 pm

TSA ID checking is worthless and a guise for airline revenue management

ID checking is worthless as a security measure at TSA checkpoints and is really a guise for airline revenue management. You would be surprised prior to 911 how many people flew on another person's airline ticket either to make one person a higher elite level or to use what would be a worthless ticket.

If TSA ID checking is truly to be used as a terrorist counter measure you need an active data base system that includes bio-metrics at check points. Not a passive system where terrorists have the know how and capability to assume identity of a non threat individual.

YKF Aug 21, 2014 6:30 pm

Agreed.

GrumpyYoungMan Aug 21, 2014 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 23403211)
ID checking is worthless as a security measure at TSA checkpoints and is really a guise for airline revenue management. You would be surprised prior to 911 how many people flew on another person's airline ticket either to make one person a higher elite level or to use what would be a worthless ticket.

If TSA ID checking is truly to be used as a terrorist counter measure you need an active data base system that includes bio-metrics at check points. Not a passive system where terrorists have the know how and capability to assume identity of a non threat individual.

If WEI screening is effective, the identity of the traveler shouldn't matter one bit.

Schmurrr Aug 21, 2014 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 23403211)
...If TSA ID checking is truly to be used as a terrorist counter measure you need an active data base system that includes bio-metrics at check points....

Where is the evidence that checking IDs at the TSA checkpoint provides any value in the War on Terror at all? Why add more personal data of innocent people to databases that can be hacked and put to far more disastrous use? How does a biometric system address the risk presented by airport vendors and employees?

Centurion Aug 21, 2014 11:51 pm

I agree what matters is what ever is on the plane is not a threat. Be it a person, package, device, etc.

Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan (Post 23403959)
If WEI screening is effective, the identity of the traveler shouldn't matter one bit.

Centurion Aug 21, 2014 11:53 pm

I also agree that a database would cause far more damage than good. I really am trying to say the entire TSA ID procedure provides no increased security.

Originally Posted by Schmurrr (Post 23404216)
Where is the evidence that checking IDs at the TSA checkpoint provides any value in the War on Terror at all? Why add more personal data of innocent people to databases that can be hacked and put to far more disastrous use? How does a biometric system address the risk presented by airport vendors and employees?

InkUnderNails Aug 22, 2014 5:35 am

While I do not wish to support this policy, it is in place to prevent the circumvention of one of the layers of security. Should someone on the no fly list wish to fly, they need only have an accomplice hand off the boarding pass before security. The additional check is a check that the person that was issued the pass is still the one carrying the pass.

This in no way an endorsement of the no fly list, its serious lack of due process for inclusion, nor the formerly secret nature of the process and onerous process for removal. It is only a reason that the BP/ID check exists in addition to airline protection.

DeafBlonde Aug 22, 2014 7:31 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails (Post 23405077)
While I do not wish to support this policy, it is in place to prevent the circumvention of one of the layers of security. Should someone on the no fly list wish to fly, they need only have an accomplice hand off the boarding pass before security. The additional check is a check that the person that was issued the pass is still the one carrying the pass.

This in no way an endorsement of the no fly list, its serious lack of due process for inclusion, nor the formerly secret nature of the process and onerous process for removal. It is only a reason that the BP/ID check exists in addition to airline protection.

Does the traveller actually get checked against the "no fly list" when they present their ID at the airport checkpoint? Or does this happen when the ticket is purchased? :confused:

jspira Aug 22, 2014 8:11 am

Please feel free to voice your opinion about this and how effective you consider the TSA to be in general in the FBT/FlyerTalk poll on the topic.

Poll: How Effective is the TSA?

Randyk47 Aug 22, 2014 8:20 am

Originally Posted by DeafBlonde (Post 23405536)
Does the traveller actually get checked against the "no fly list" when they present their ID at the airport checkpoint? Or does this happen when the ticket is purchased? :confused:

I've always thought it was at the ticket counter and maybe when you make the initial reservation. I see no indication that TSA has a real time name checking system at security points. The only "scan" I've consistently seen is the holograph light and sometimes that's nothing more than a handheld flashlight like device, certainly nothing that looks like it's instantly checking a name against a no-fly list.

petaluma1 Aug 22, 2014 8:55 am

Sadly, many people believe that the TSA is checking names against some list when their ID is presented to the checker, when nothing of the sort occurs. TSA, of course, isn't doing anything to dissuade those individuals of their belief.

In an article in The Atlantic,[11] security expert Bruce Schneier described a simple way for people to defeat the No Fly List:

Use a stolen credit card to buy a ticket under a fake name. Print a fake boarding pass with your real name on it and go to the airport. You give your real ID, and the fake boarding pass with your real name on it, to security. They’re checking the documents against each other. They’re not checking your name against the no-fly list—that was done on the airline’s computers. Once you’re through security, you rip up the fake boarding pass, and use the real boarding pass that has the name from the stolen credit card. Then you board the plane, because they’re not checking your name against your ID at boarding.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Fly_List

catocony Aug 22, 2014 9:01 am

The no-fly list is just as dumb as checking IDs. I don't care who's on the plane as long as they have no weapons. An anonymous walk through a metal detector is all that's needed.

CDKing Aug 22, 2014 1:13 pm

While they dont say how often it gets run, many times even after the flight has departed. All it takes in one letter to be off it seems to get through, even with ID checking.

SeriouslyLost Aug 22, 2014 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by jspira (Post 23405735)
Please feel free to voice your opinion about this and how effective you consider the TSA to be in general in the FBT/FlyerTalk poll on the topic.

Poll: How Effective is the TSA?

Where's the option for "I think their processes, practices, & employees actually increase the chance of an event"?

cmn.jcs Aug 23, 2014 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1 (Post 23405966)
Sadly, many people believe that the TSA is checking names against some list when their ID is presented to the checker, when nothing of the sort occurs. TSA, of course, isn't doing anything to dissuade those individuals of their belief.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Fly_List

Is that still valid? If one is not getting Precheck, does the BP get a digital signature from the airline that the scanner at the TDC can verify against?