FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   TSA ID checking is worthless and a guise for airline revenue management (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1604901-tsa-id-checking-worthless-guise-airline-revenue-management.html)

shenxing Aug 24, 2014 10:01 am

In other news the sky is blue, the sun sets in the west, cats are furry...

jspira Aug 24, 2014 10:04 am

Originally Posted by jspira (Post 23405735)
Please feel free to voice your opinion about this and how effective you consider the TSA to be in general in the FBT/FlyerTalk poll on the topic.

Poll: How Effective is the TSA?

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost (Post 23408279)
Where's the option for "I think their processes, practices, & employees actually increase the chance of an event"?

While I fully understand your point, I think it can be voiced in the survey by selecting the dissatisfaction options.

halls120 Aug 24, 2014 11:03 am

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost (Post 23408279)
Where's the option for "I think their processes, practices, & employees actually increase the chance of an event"?

This

cynicAAl Aug 24, 2014 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Randyk47 (Post 23405786)
I see no indication that TSA has a real time name checking system at security points. The only "scan" I've consistently seen is the holograph light and sometimes that's nothing more than a handheld flashlight like device, certainly nothing that looks like it's instantly checking a name against a no-fly list.

I'm pretty sure that TSA ID checkers have the entire "Do Not Fly" list memorized, so if they see a terrorist name, it will be obvious to them.

Just like how the receipt checkers at Costco have the price of every item memorized, so that when they scan your receipt in 1.2 seconds, they can immediately tell if you've been overcharged for something. :rolleyes:

mikeef Aug 26, 2014 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by cynicAAl (Post 23415861)
I'm pretty sure that TSA ID checkers have the entire "Do Not Fly" list memorized, so if they see a terrorist name, it will be obvious to them.

Entirely possible. Many don't seem to have room for anything in their heads. Perhaps the names are taking up all the room...

Originally Posted by cynicAAl (Post 23415861)
Just like how the receipt checkers at Costco have the price of every item memorized, so that when they scan your receipt in 1.2 seconds, they can immediately tell if you've been overcharged for something. :rolleyes:

Don't even get me started on that...

Mike

ScatterX Aug 30, 2014 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by shenxing (Post 23415484)
In other news the sky is blue, the sun sets in the west, cats are furry...

Cats are not always furry. TSA, however, is ALWAYS incompetent.

Checking IDs, state your name games, prescription med Q&A, cupcakes, BDOs, magic liquid test strips, confiscating toys, ...

GUWonder Sep 1, 2014 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by ScatterX (Post 23449620)
Checking IDs, state your name games, prescription med Q&A, cupcakes, BDOs, magic liquid test strips, confiscating toys, ...

The sort of things that divert resources from effective interdiction of prohibited weapons/explosives/incendiaries.