Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Heightened security at U.S airports (and overseas?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heightened security at U.S airports (and overseas?)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by jpetekYXMD80
And you know this how? Of course it came from intelligence.
If a dead iPad is discovered at a foreign checkpoint, will the bomb squad be brought it in and the checkpoint evacuated?

Or will it be tossed in the trash, like all those explosive water bottles?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:46 pm

All I have heard is if it can't be powered on, you will have additional screening.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:51 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
And you know this how? Of course it came from intelligence.
Because there is nothing intelligent about having someone power on a device to show it is not a bomb. Making an iPhone/iPad/laptop both power up normally AND contain an explosive is child's play. An intelligent response would have been to stop harassing people over identity or boarding pass possession, get rid of liquids idiocy/shoe carnival, and use ETP/ETD on all passengers. Of course, that's too intelligent and not in-your-face enough for the scumbags "in charge" of TSA, so unnecessary and stupid harassment is the order of the day. Of course, if you had engaged in some critical and scientific thinking instead of bleating "Comrade Napoleon is Always Right!", you'd have reached the same or a similar conclusion.

I can't say much other than you are one of the most delusional men completely out of touch with reality as i've ever come across. With the conviction you type, it almost sounds like you see that as even a faint possibility. You live in a dream.
Anyone who puts stock in TSA idiocy is way more delusional than anyone who predicts the eviction and conviction of TSA employees from the airport, hands down. You might as well believe in the Tooth Fairy or signs reading "No Terrorism, please" keeping you safe.

Last edited by Spiff; Jul 7, 2014 at 7:52 am
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:55 pm

Actually the most delusional of all is you thinking you are something of a populist voice.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by chucko
Heard a similar report on the BBCWS this morning. If they ask you to power up your laptop/pad/gadget at the checkpoint, and it has a dead batt or otherwise won't turn on, it won't be making the flight.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28185149
I had to chuckle and cringe at the conclusion of the above BBC article

But it is still not clear how many airports will be affected, or if passengers will be delayed.
No, I'm sure there won't be any delays

Originally Posted by saulblum
Until these cunning terrorists realize that they just have to ensure their devices that look like tablets or laptops have the capability to look like they're booting up.
That's what I was thinking - I'm no techie but it surely can't be that hard to set that up, can it?

Originally Posted by saulblum
A series of coordinated suicide bombings at checkpoints at a few major airports nationwide would bring US aviation to its knees. And not one damn thing the TSA does would be able to stop such an attack.
Though I suppose they would try, wouldn't they? I shudder to think at the lunacy that would ensue...strip searches, no luggage allowed, who knows.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:01 pm
tlc

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Has anyone seen jetway gate checks in any airports outside of where they were already? Typically central and South America have them and China-departing flights. Also I've seen them at JNB...has the new threat brought them elsewhere?
They had them at the gate yesterday at LHR T5 but weren't bothering the elite/fasttrack flyers. There were 2 tables and 4 people.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:07 pm

Actually the most delusional of all is you thinking you are something of a populist voice.
Again, try using critical thinking and scientific skills before bleating "Comrade Napoleon is Always Right!". At least that way, you can say "I analyzed the alleged threats and came out with the same answer as TSA did."

Right now, I challenge you to make such a statement and back it up with credible, scientific facts.

Last edited by Spiff; Jul 7, 2014 at 7:52 am
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Though I suppose they would try, wouldn't they? I shudder to think at the lunacy that would ensue...strip searches, no luggage allowed, who knows.
The end of commercial aviation as we know it, because such idiocy would finally make the sheep stop flying and stop believing TSA has any clue as to security.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:11 pm

Someone who claims its only a matter of time until a whole bunch of tsa employees are thrown in jail for sexual assault and treason is telling me to use critical thinking skills.

I do not have access to their intelligence so I will refrain from analyzing what I can't analyze.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
I can't say much other than you are one of the most delusional men completely out of touch with reality as i've ever come across. With the conviction you type, it almost sounds like you see that as even a faint possibility. You live in a dream. If you really believe that, make a bet with me on it. 1000:1 odds. Put your money where your mouth is.
As a staunch opponent of the TSA, I'm sorry to say I agree. The American public has overwhelmingly accepted the TSA and their intrusive "safety" measures. As much as it sickens me they are here for the long haul.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by MichaelKade
As a staunch opponent of the TSA, I'm sorry to say I agree. The American public has overwhelmingly accepted the TSA and their intrusive "safety" measures. As much as it sickens me they are here for the long haul.
Don't give up! It took this nation a long time to wake up from other gross violations of liberty and gross acts of stupidity.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:21 pm

Libertarianism= locking up as many people as possible for doing their job and calling it limited government?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:23 pm

Libertarianism= locking up as many people as possible for doing their job and calling it limited government?
Libertarianism has nothing to do with this thread. Do try to stay on topic.

However, "I was only doing my job." has been demonstrated to not be a valid excuse when being tried for committing crimes.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I'm having a flashback. It's 1996, and the minimum wage guys running security at IAD are asking me to make my pager beep as I go through security.......

Oh, and occasionally, to fire up the notebook, back before sleep or hibernate mode existed. You had about five seconds to interrupt the initial BIOS sequence or you would be there for a couple of minutes waiting for Windows to boot up completely and then close it down. Unless you were really daring and shut down your notebook before Windows finished booting up.

I definitely remember traveling with a co-worker who didn't know how to make his pager beep. I had call his pager from my Motorola StarTac so the thing would go off, since just showing the display wasn't enough proof that it was a pager and not the world's smallest bomb (with a 12-charactor or whatever display).
Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
Sheer idiocy, confiscating phones and laptops just because they have a dead battery.
From TSA's point of view, it's not a device with a dead battery. Rather, it's an electronic device that can't be demonstrated to be what it appears to be.

This is entirely consistent with TSA's view of liquid substances. Large bottles of water aren't being confiscated because they're water; they're being confiscated because there's no way to demonstrate to TSA's satisfaction that they are only water. (TSA's approach to screening liquids has been debated here ad nauseum, of course.)

Others have already pointed out here, of course, how straightforward it would be to construct a device that "powers on" for TSA inspection and still maintains its nefarious purpose. Heck, we've seen those devices in spy movies for years.

We'll have to see how this plays out. Hopefully, this effort will collapse under the weight of its own burden.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.