Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA denies boarding to disabled woman w/o current ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA denies boarding to disabled woman w/o current ID

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Valid, unexpired ID is required though - it has been for a while...
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:44 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by MDTyKe
Valid, unexpired ID is required though - it has been for a while...
No, that is a false statement. ID has never and is still not required. And expired ID is also accepted per the SOPs.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
No, that is a false statement. ID has never and is still not required. And expired ID is also accepted per the SOPs.
Indeed you are correct.

Expired ID less than a year beyond its expiration date is routinely accepted as proof of ID by the TSA. I did it a lot, had a bunch of comments but had no show-stopper hit me because of it.

Other parts of the federal government accept much longer expired ID as proof of ID. I find it amusing that expired ID is fussed over by the government when decades old expired ID is accepted as evidence of or for US citizenship.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Didn't I read in some post or the other than a teenager got through TSA using her Facebook account?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Sigh. I wish more able-bodies people could walk (or, more to the point, roll) a mile in the wheelchairs of those of us flyers who get around airports on wheels. Flying F or J? Too bad, so sad; you're still going to spend an inordinate amount of time in the "special screening" line. And when you get to the "glass box," you'll wait in there until an agent arrives. Could be a couple of minutes. Could be fifteen minutes. As people pass you by and stare and you sit there, waiting. And then the agent arrives, and you get the pat down, and sit there thinking, "Shouldn't there be dinner and a movie first?" And you watch your stuff out of the corner of your eye, hoping no one takes your wallet, iPad, or coat. Then there's the passengers who get upset to see you pre-board, or question your right to be in a premium cabin ("No, Sir, she did not get your upgrade. She is a paid F passenger.").

So does it surprise me that a woman with a disability was denied boarding by TSA? Not even one little bit.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by relangford
Didn't I read in some post or the other than a teenager got through TSA using her Facebook account?
Are you talking about a minor or an adult?

Young teenagers are to be allowed to skip the TSA's ID checking nonsense and need to just present an appropriate boarding pass to go airside.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 5:18 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Are you talking about a minor or an adult?

Young teenagers are to be allowed to skip the TSA's ID checking nonsense and need to just present an appropriate boarding pass to go airside.
There was this fairly recent claim by an adult US citizen who managed to get past security using his FB profile as ID: http://www.smartertravel.com/blogs/t...ml?id=17223940
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL/PM SM/AMEX/Plat HH/Gold Marriott/Plat Starwood/Plat
OT, my license expired 5 months ago and I have been travelling almost every week without any issues. Even Avis /Budget did not bother to check maybe I am Avis First. Only reason I found out was all car rentals were booked but Hertz and they denied my online booking.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bamin
OT, my license expired 5 months ago and I have been travelling almost every week without any issues. Even Avis /Budget did not bother to check maybe I am Avis First. Only reason I found out was all car rentals were booked but Hertz and they denied my online booking.
TSA has a history of routinely and willfully accepting passenger ID that is not more than beyond one year of its expiration date. I've done it myself with TSA lots -- got some comments about needing to renew but never more than that.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
TSA has a history of routinely and willfully accepting passenger ID that is not more than beyond one year of its expiration date. I've done it myself with TSA lots -- got some comments about needing to renew but never more than that.
I've gotten more than that, unfortunately. Once at LGA and once at ORD, I've had supervisors called over b/c the ID was expired (less than 12 months). In both cases, it took a supervisor being called over to (LGA) make an exception and (ORD) be told that an expired license is valid if under a year. Even my super-witty comment that I promised not to drive through the airport on an expired license was not enough to prevent a wait.

Long story short, they SHOULD accept it, but they may not.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I've gotten more than that, unfortunately. Once at LGA and once at ORD, I've had supervisors called over b/c the ID was expired (less than 12 months). In both cases, it took a supervisor being called over to (LGA) make an exception and (ORD) be told that an expired license is valid if under a year. Even my super-witty comment that I promised not to drive through the airport on an expired license was not enough to prevent a wait.

Long story short, they SHOULD accept it, but they may not.
The TSA is consistent at one thing at least: being inconsistent, even when the policy is clear and should be routine.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
The TSA is consistent at one thing at least: being inconsistent, even when the policy is clear and should be routine.
It's that inconsistency which instills fear in the hearts of terrorists with expired drivers' licenses or ones from DC.

Mike
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mikeef
It's that inconsistency which instills fear in the hearts of terrorists with expired drivers' licenses or ones from DC.

Mike
Ah yes, the many (unintentional) layers of security!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.