Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

TSA confiscates another "Rocket Blower"

http://petapixel.com/2013/12/18/phot...-like-missile/

It's not the first time, either.

http://petapixel.com/2012/03/09/thin...-tsa-does-too/

I wish the employees of the TSA were capable of understanding just how moronic incidents like this make them (and the Agency) look.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by Caradoc

I wish the employees of the TSA were capable of understanding just how moronic incidents like this make them (and the Agency) look.
They don't have the sense to know how moronic they really are. That's the problem.

I was matching wits with a clerk doing the name game one day. He told me he was just doing his job and it was for my protection. I told him he had the most embarrassing job in the history of jobs and walked on through.

Surapon was, understandably, dumbstruck. When he didn’t answer, the officer walked over to his supervisor, had a brief conversation, and then told Surapon that his blower needed to be thrown away because, “if someone put gun powder inside this Rocket Blower, it can fly like a missile.”
You can take gun powder through the checkpoint?

Last edited by Michael El; Dec 18, 2013 at 9:16 pm
Old Dec 19, 2013, 4:59 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Michael El
They don't have the sense to know how moronic they really are. That's the problem.

I was matching wits with a clerk doing the name game one day. He told me he was just doing his job and it was for my protection. I told him he had the most embarrassing job in the history of jobs and walked on through.

It's easy if you make a sweet deal with a minimum wage airport employee that gets minimal screening.

I suspect that any attempt to set it off would damage the little device and the setter more than anything else.

The suggestion for getting this cute thing though security is cutting of the "fins." It is the fins that make it stand up and not roll around the desk or work area. Might as well have a regular air bulb.

Last edited by InkUnderNails; Dec 19, 2013 at 5:04 am
Old Dec 19, 2013, 5:04 am

And how many of these things go through checkpoints on any given day undetected? Not that there is a reason they should be detected.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 6:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

When I read stories like this, I find it unfathomable that any sane, educated person continues to defend TSA.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 7:57 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
The worst part is how they try to justify it.

At least just say something like" It is our blanket policy to take anything that resembles a bomb" or something resembling sanity (I know, I know...it is TSA). While it would still be an inanely goofy policy at least it would not be as bad as saying that one "packing" gunpowder into it could be dangerous. If I packed my fountain pen with gunpowder it would fly like a missle also.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:44 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Waiting for the story that the TSA confiscated Nerf Balls because you could take an eye out with them
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by Michael El
No, but if you cook spaghetti it becomes less stiff, and since gels are prohibited, dry, stiff, uncooked spaghetti (by a chain of inference) must also be prohibited. See how they think?

If a frog had side pockets, he'd carry a handgun. (Says Dan Rather). Therefore pockets are also about to be prohibited.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
When I read stories like this, I find it unfathomable that any sane, educated person continues to defend TSA.
Or continues to work for them.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 12:09 am

In Mythbusters new season - "Can you put enough gunpowder into a lens blower to destroy an aircraft?"
Old Dec 20, 2013, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by alanR
In Mythbusters new season - "Can you put enough gunpowder into a lens blower to destroy an aircraft?"
Subproject: "Can you fly it through the air like a missile?"

~~ Irish

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.